One Dead After Car Chase, Shooting

A District man was shot to death and another man was wounded early yesterday after a car chase through the streets of Northeast and Southeast Washington.

Robert Stephen Lewis, 24, of the 4900 block of F Street SE, was pronounced dead at an area hospital at 4:37 a.m. Another man riding in the car was wounded but is expected to live, and a third person in the car was not injured, police said.

The incident began about 3:45 a.m. when the car in which Lewis and the other men were riding left the 501 Club at Fifth Street and Florida Avenue NE, said Sgt. Joe Gentile, a police spokesman.

At 18th and C streets NE, someone riding in a burgundy-colored vehicle carrying two people allegedly began shooting into the men's car. The burgundy vehicle chased the other car to the intersection of East Capitol Street and Benning Road, Gentile said.

After the chase broke off, the first car was driven to a nearby police station, and an ambulance was called. Anyone with information should call police at 202-727-4504 or CrimeSolvers at 1-800-673-2777.

Inmate Stabbed to Death at Lorton

An inmate at the District's Lorton Correctional Complex was fatally stabbed yesterday in a dormitory at the prison's Central Facility, said Darryl J. Madden, a spokesman for the D.C. Department of Corrections.

The inmate has been identified as Elijah Steptoe, 34, a D.C. native serving time for two armed robbery convictions, possession of a firearm in a violent act and possession of a pistol without a license. Inmates in the Lorton dorm where Steptoe was serving a seven- to 21-year sentence are being kept in lockdown until an investigation of the stabbing is completed by D.C. Corrections officials and the FBI, Madden said.

Streets Closed for Hazmat Removal

Several streets surrounding a warehouse in the Capitol Market area of Northeast Washington will be closed today as the D.C. Fire and EMS Department oversees the removal of hazardous materials from the building. The following streets will be closed from 9:30 a.m. until the operation is complete:

* Florida Avenue from New York Avenue to Sixth Street.

* Fourth and Fifth streets from Florida Avenue to Penn Street.

* Penn Street from New York Avenue to Sixth Street.

All establishments in this area will be closed during the hazmat removal. D.C. fire inspectors estimate the removal will take three to eight hours.

This month, 250 gallons of compressed air-conditioning fluid were found in the warehouse, where homeless people were living, according to Theodore J. Gordon, a D.C. Department of Health spokesman. The fluid can be harmful to the ozone layer and can cause stomach cramps, said Gordon, who also said the chemicals may have been dumped by a contractor.


Roof Falls In; Worker Slightly Hurt

A 40-year-old construction foreman was buried underneath tons of debris when a warehouse roof collapsed in Landover yesterday, but the worker suffered only a broken leg and minor injuries, Prince George's County fire officials said.

An eight-member construction crew was trying to raise the roof of a 100-foot by 200-foot section of a Safeway food distribution warehouse near Cabin Branch and Sheriff roads about 9 a.m. when a hydraulic jack supporting one corner of the structure failed, said Capt. Mark Brady, spokesman for the Prince George's Fire Department.

"They heard a very loud breaking of wood and twisting metal, and that told them that impending doom was about to befall them," Brady said. Seven of the eight workers scurried to safety, but their crew boss was pinned under a steel I-beam and an avalanche of roofing material.

The foreman was trapped for about 30 minutes before he was freed by rescue workers, Brady said. He was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, where he was listed in good condition. Brady said the cave-in kicked up a column of dust that could be seen for miles.


Suspect in Fauquier Slaying Apprehended

Frank Eugene Brown, 43, wanted on charges in the shotgun slaying of his sister's boyfriend as the couple sat at their dinner table last Sunday, was apprehended Friday night, Fauquier County sheriff's deputies said yesterday.

Brown, a transient laborer with no fixed address, had been on the loose since the shooting. He was apprehended without incident at a 7-Eleven in Nokesville in adjacent Prince William County, authorities said. He was not armed.

Brown will be arraigned Monday in Fauquier on charges in the death of Thomas Marquart, 37, who was shot as he ate supper with Brown's sister, Sharon Tally, and her three children at their home near Warrenton last Sunday. Authorities say Brown, who sometimes lived with his sister, was at the house, left and then returned with a shotgun, killing Marquart with a single blast fired through a window.

Brown has been charged with first-degree murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony and shooting into an occupied dwelling.

He was being held without bond yesterday.

Second Fairfax Deer Hunt Nets 81

A second managed deer hunt in Fairfax County last week netted 81 deer on Thursday, a considerable leap from the 11 killed in the first foray, held in the rain Tuesday, Fairfax police said yesterday.

Police allowed 39 civilian hunters, selected by lottery, to roam Upper Potomac Regional Park in the Great Falls area from dawn to dusk, Lt. Amy Lubas said. The cost to the county for police protection during the event was $750. Two more hunts, aimed at curbing the county's large deer population, are planned.

Lubas said the kill total was greater Thursday because more hunters were used over a wider area and because the weather was better.

County officials say the burgeoning deer population must be controlled because it poses a danger to motorists and harms the ecosystem.


"I know you're tired, Dylan, but you know you really want to talk to Santa--how else is he going to know what you want?"

-- Emily Freeman, 33, of Rockville, who rushed home from work to take her children, 4-year-old Dylan and 18-month-old Chelsea, to see Santa at the mall.