David Swit

Newsletter Publisher

David Swit, 65, founder of Washington Business Information, publisher of a dozen Washington newsletters covering regulatory agencies, died of a lung ailment Dec. 20 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Swit began the company in 1972 with Product Safety Letter. Later newsletters included Washington Drug Letter, Devices & Diagnostics Letter, the Food & Drug Letter and Hazardous Materials Transportation. His firm's Regulatory Watchdog Service also issues Washington information and it was co-operator of Diogenes, a database for firms regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Mr. Swit attended the College of the City of New York in his native New York. He began his career as a copyboy with the Associated Press and later was a reporter in New York and Atlanta.

He moved to Washington in 1961 to do public relations work for the Association of American Railroads. He was also a PR consultant to federal agencies. He was managing editor of FDC Reports, a newsletter for executives in the health and beauty industries, before starting his own publication.

Mr. Swit was president of the Washington chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and founding member, director and president of the Newsletter Publishers Association, which named him publisher of the year in 1990. He was a director of the Copyright Clearance Center, which works to enforce copyrights on published materials, and of the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation.

His marriages to Judith Judson and Barbara Heindel ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion, Sue B. Schumacher of Bethesda; three children from his first marriage, Natalie R. Swit of Long Beach, Calif., Michael A. Swit of Falls Church and Lauren R. Bolonda of Bloomfield, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.

Aileen W. Sheridan

Church Member

Aileen W. Sheridan, 78, a native Washingtonian and former member of St. Jude's Catholic Church in Rockville and St. John's Catholic Church in White Oak, died of respiratory failure Dec. 20 at her home in Ormond Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Sheridan, who lived in Florida since 1979, was a graduate of Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School and a Washington area resident for nearly 60 years.

She lived part of that time in Colesville and was active in the Girl Scouts and the Ancient Order of the Hibernians.

Her husband, Brian I. Sheridan, died in 1983.

Survivors include two sons, Michael B. Sheridan of Rochester Hills, Mich., and Kevin F. Sheridan of Lithia, Fla.; five daughters, Kathleen McLallen of Northville, Mich., Patricia Sheridan of Easton, Md., Mary Potter of West Bethesda, Lynn Welch of Monterey, Calif., and Kara Sheridan of Upper Nyack, N.Y.; and 13 grandchildren.

George Alfred Robinson III


George Alfred Robinson III, 76, a hardware salesman who worked for Menaham's, Willston Center and the Williamsburg, Graham and Snyder's hardware stores before retiring in the mid-1990s, died of pneumonia Dec. 17 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Annandale.

Mr. Robinson was born in Washington and raised in Falls Church. He served in the Army in Panama during World War II.

His first wife, Avice Levinge Shepard, died in 1961.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Barbara C. Robinson of Arlington; two sons from his first marriage, Bryce L. Robinson of Highland, Md., and Guy H. Robinson of California; two children from his second marriage, Sarah M. Robinson of Arlington and George A. Robinson IV of Annandale; and two grandchildren.

Harold E. Cross

Navy Captain

Harold E. Cross, 93, a retired Navy captain who worked in public relations and real estate sales, died of pneumonia Dec. 4 at the Brighton Gardens Funeral Home in Bethesda. He was a Bethesda resident.

Capt. Cross, who had lived in the Washington area since 1961, was a native of New London, Conn., and a 1929 graduate of St. John's College in Annapolis.

He entered the Navy in the early 1930s and commanded a destroyer-escort division in the Pacific during World War II.

Capt. Cross also did public relations work for the Navy before retiring from active duty, after 31 years' service, in 1962.

Before retiring a altogether in the mid-1980s, he held a variety of other jobs. He had done public relations work for a bank and the George Ewing architectural company. He also sold real estate for the U.T. Peck company.

Capt. Cross was an unsuccessful Republican candidate for Maryland comptroller in 1970.

His wife, Winifred, died in 1970. Survivors include a son, Navy Rear Adm. William V. Cross of Washington; a daughter, Beverly Rudolph of Potomac; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

George Chatham Nolen


George Chatham Nolen, 86, who retired in 1981 after 34 years as a salesman and executive with an Arlington auto parts wholesaler, J&M Supply, died of cardiac arrest and respiratory failure Dec. 24 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Annandale.

Nolen was a native of Swiftown, Miss., who served in the Army during World War II. He moved to Northern Virginia after the war and worked for 11 years for Jamieson Auto Supply in Washington.

In Annandale, he was a volunteer with the Broyhill Crest Citizens Association and Little League and a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Martha Nolen of Annandale; seven children, Barbara Turner of Falls Church, Mary Blackwood of Midlothian, Va., Susan Foust of Chesterfield, Va., Jo Ann Bertges of San Francisco, George Nolen Jr. of Centreville, John Nolen of Arlington and Clare Ramminger of McLean; and 11 grandchildren.

Dolores Terrill 'Terry' Irons


Dolores Terrill "Terry" Irons, 73, a retired elementary school teacher who had lived in the Washington area since 1963, died of respiratory failure Dec. 22 at Columbia Reston Hospital.

Mrs. Irons, who lived in Sterling, retired in 1984 after a year at Centreville Elementary School. Earlier, she spent five years at John C. Woods, four years in Fairfax and 11 years in Jermantown elementary schools, all in Fairfax City.

She was born in Conneautville, Pa., and graduated from Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Ala., with a degree in music theory. She received a master's degree in education from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

As a young woman, she accompanied her husband, Clement I. Irons, now a retired Air Force colonel, to assignments in the United States and Japan. She also taught in various cities.

In Fairfax, Mrs. Irons voluntarily produced operettas and musical programs with fifth- and sixth-grade students.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

In addition to her husband, of Sterling, survivors include two children, C. Charles Irons of Herndon and Deborah Irons of Suffolk, Va.; and two grandchildren.