Ernest Allen Connally, 78, who joined the National Park Service in 1967 and retired in 1992 as its chief appeals officer determining whether preservation projects on historic structures were eligible for tax credits, died of cancer Dec. 23 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Alexandria.

Dr. Connally also was a consultant on renovation undertakings nationwide and directed restorations for the home of President Andrew Jackson in Greenville, Tenn., on behalf of the Historic American Buildings Survey.

He was born in Groesbeck, Tex., and graduated in 1950 from the University of Texas at Austin with a bachelor's degree in architecture. At Harvard University, he received master's and doctoral degrees in history and the principles of fine arts.

Among his academic appointments from 1952 to 1967 were teaching architectural history at Miami University in Ohio, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

He was a former chairman and secretary-general of the U.S. Committee of the International Council of Monuments and Sites and a United States delegate to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

His memberships included the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, Sons of the American Revolution, the Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States and St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Alexandria. He was an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects.

His awards include the Interior Department's Distinguished Service Award in 1978 and the Louise duPont Crowninshield Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1980.

He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II and retired from the Air Force Reserve as a lieutenant colonel in 1958.

Survivors include his wife, Janice Muriel Connally of Alexandria; a daughter, Mary Allen Connally-Martini of New York City; a son, John Arnold Connally of San Francisco; two sisters; and a grandchild.