Lanham Man Charged in Son's Death

A Lanham man has been charged in the death his 4-year-old son, who police said had been abused repeatedly.

Yusha Fati Robinson, 25, of the 9900 block of Good Luck Road, was charged Monday with first-degree murder in the death of his son, Divine, Prince George's County police said. Robinson was being held yesterday without bond in the Prince George's County jail.

Robinson called 911 on Dec. 16 to report that his son was not breathing and that his lips had turned blue, according to court records. The child was taken to Children's Hospital in the District, where he died two days later, according to the D.C. medical examiner.

Robinson told police that he tried to perform CPR to revive his son, who he said had been fine when upon going to bed the night before. But doctors found that the child had a broken left arm and that his entire body was marked by deep bruises in various stages of healing, court records show.

On Dec. 17, Robinson was charged with first-degree assault and child abuse by a parent. He was charged with murder after medical examiners ruled the case a homicide, police said.

Inmate Found Beaten to Death

An inmate at a state prison in Hagerstown was found beaten to death in his cell yesterday, prison officials said.

Mark Reed, 40, of Newberg, had severe wounds to the head and body when guards at the Roxbury Correctional Institution discovered his body at 12:35 a.m. He had been stabbed and bludgeoned with a metal object, a corrections official said.

Officials said the killing occurred during "Monday Night Football," when dozens of inmates were allowed free movement in Reed's cellblock. His television was smashed, and his room was disheveled, officials said.

Reed was in the 10th month of a four-year sentence for burglary. The prison was locked down yesterday as officers searched Reed's housing unit for evidence and questioned inmates, officials said.


Cabby Held Without Bond in Shooting

Benjamin Alcindore, the taxi driver accused of shooting a Georgetown University employee four times in a Dec. 22 traffic dispute, was ordered held without bond yesterday until his Jan. 3 arraignment.

Prosecutors charged Alcindore, 42, with aggravated assault. A police affidavit said Alcindore confided tearfully to an unidentified witness that he had shot Kenneth "Skip" Ames in Georgetown and fled. He was packing a suitcase, preparing to leave for New York, said the witness, who gave police Alcindore's passport.

Ames, 44, a supervisor at the university's Information Services office, remained in critical condition at Georgetown University Medical Center. Police said the two men traded angry words after Ames's sport-utility vehicle and Alcindore's Yellow Cab station wagon collided.

Inmate Charged in Assault on Officer

A 24-year-old federal inmate at a halfway house in the District has been charged with sexually assaulting a correctional officer Saturday.

Michael B. Mead was charged Monday in D.C. Superior Court with assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual abuse and assault with a dangerous weapon. He was arrested Saturday.

Mead, whose most recent address was listed as the 600 block of Audrey Lane in Oxon Hill, had been in federal prison on a 28-month sentence for conspiracy to distribute cocaine. He was near the end of his sentence and had been sent to Hope Village, a transitional facility, in the 2900 block of Langston Place SE.

According to court records, police were called to the facility about 3 a.m. Saturday and found a female correctional officer who was semiconscious and bleeding from stab wounds. A witness told police the woman cried out several times. The witness said he ran to the officer's aid and saw Mead standing over her, according to court records.

The victim was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, where she was continued to undergo treatment for stab wounds to her face and hands.

The private facility contracts out about 80 beds to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said Faye Pollard, a spokeswoman for the agency. She called the incident an isolated case and said it was being investigated. Hope Village has a record of shootings and escapes in the last decade, law enforcement sources said.

Mead is set to face a preliminary hearing Jan. 13.