The Dec. 29 obituary about Franklin Norman Davis reported incorrectly the community in which his wife, Miryam Maltinskis Davis, a pediatric neurologist, resides. She lives in Bethesda. (Published 12/30/1999)

R'ella Forsse Johnson Warner

Women's Club Founder

R'ella Forsse Johnson Warner, 84, a Foreign Service officer wife who was a founder of the Washington Tokyo Women's Club and an active member of other organizations, died Dec. 25 at her home in Washington after a stroke.

Mrs. Warner, who lived in Washington since 1971, was born in Falun, Kan., and was raised in Glendale, Calif. As a young woman, she trained in voice and piano and attended the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music.

While visiting her brother, a Foreign Service officer stationed in Tokyo, she met and married his best friend, Gerald Warner, also a Foreign Service officer, in 1936. She accompanied her husband to Taiwan, Buenos Aires, Bangkok and Australia, China and Japan.

In those years of moving around, she found time to be a concert pianist, choral conductor, church organist and opera singer.

She was a member of Ikebana International, the Japan-America Society, Diplomatic and Consular Officers, Retired and the Foreign Service Wives Association.

Her husband died in 1989. Survivors include four children, Arthur S. Warner of Raleigh, N.C., Elizabeth B. Warner of Washington, Anne L. Warner of Cambridge, Mass., and Deborah Warner of Athol, Idaho; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

John R. Hoover

Air Force Colonel

John R. Hoover, 78, an Air Force colonel who retired as inspector general of the Georgia-based Continental Air Command, died of cancer Dec. 24 at his home in Alexandria.

Col. Hoover served 29 years in the Air Force before retiring in 1969.

His career included 90 combat missions in Europe during World War II and service as deputy chief of staff for operations at the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

He was born in Cresson, Pa., attended San Mateo Junior College in California and began his military career in 1940. While serving in the Air Force, he attended the University of Maryland and graduated from the National War College.

He was deputy chief of staff for operations at the Rome Air Development Center at Griffith Air Force Base, N.Y.

His decorations included the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster and the Air Medal with 11 Oak Leaf Clusters.

On his military retirement, Col. Hoover settled in the Washington area as a permanent resident.

Survivors include his wife, Mary S. Hoover of Alexandria; four children, Mary M. Hines of Alexandria, Michael J. Hoover of Eldersburg, Md., Antoinette Von Lewinski of Charlottesville and Patricia Hoover of Alexandria; and six grandchildren.

Franklin Norman Davis


Franklin Norman Davis, 70, a Fairfax psychiatrist who was a specialist in the study and treatment of depressive, bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorders, died of a brain tumor Dec. 27 at Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Bethesda.

Dr. Davis, who had a private practice in psychiatry and psychopharmacology in Fairfax since 1984, was a pathologist in Washington in the 1960s and 1970s. He switched careers in 1978 after accepting an offer from the Army Medical Corps to study psychiatry at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

He attained the rank of lieutenant colonel and served as a psychiatrist at Fort Belvoir's community mental health services before his discharge in 1984.

He was a native of New York. He attended Georgetown University during World War II as a member of the Army Specialized Training Program.

Under the program, he received a medical degree from L'Universite Libre de Bruxelles in Belgium.

He was a resident in pathology at New York Hospital and an assistant professor of academic pathology at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Miryam Davis of Silver Spring; three sons, Pablo "Paul" Davis of Charlottesville, Karl Davis of New York City and Sinclair Davis of Rockville; and a brother.