Frederic W. Balicki


Frederic W. Balicki, 61, a physicist who worked in the Washington area from 1963 to 1983 at the Army Department's Harry Diamond Laboratories, died of cancer Dec. 26 at Kent Hospital in Warwick, R.I.

Mr. Balicki was born in Chicopee Falls, Mass. He was a graduate of the Lamar Institute of Technology in Texas. He served in the Army from 1957 to 1960.

Since 1983 he had worked at defense contracting firms in New Mexico, including ITT Systems in Albuquerque.

He was a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

His marriage to Charlotte A. Ferris ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Heather D. Balicki of Warwick, R.I.; a brother; and two sisters.

John Rubin Traynham Jr.

Section Foreman

John Rubin Traynham Jr., 66, who worked 23 years for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington before retiring in 1983 as a section foreman, died of complications from renal kidney failure Dec. 19 at a hospital in Laurinburg, N.C.

Mr. Traynham, who lived in Laurel Hill, N.C., was a native Washingtonian and a 1951 graduate of Cardoza High School.

He attended Howard University and served in the Air Force Reserve during the Korean War.

In Washington, where he lived until his retirement, he was a member of Lutheran Church of the Reformation.

His marriage to Joan Traynham ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Ola "Bell" Traynham of Laurel Hill; three children from his first marriage, John R. Traynham III of Charlotte, N.C., Karl Traynham of Washington and Patricia Barringtine of Temple Hills; another daughter, Trayna Traynham of Washington; a brother, Lawrence S. Traynham of Silver Spring; and five grandchildren.

Bosco Nedelcovic


Bosco Nedelcovic, 66, a linguist with the American Defense College at Fort McNair and a tenacious promoter of building a Utopian society that blended elements of socialism and free market capitalism, died of prostate cancer Dec. 25 at the Northern Virginia Hospice.

Mr. Nedelcovic lived in Herndon, where he was known as a cheerful fellow and friendly neighborhood visionary. He acknowledged that his lifetime dream of a new society stood little chance of ever being realized, but it didn't discourage him from holding forums and writing long, passionate letters about his idea to government leaders, educators and foundation officials.

His proposals took on various names over the years, including Villa Venus and Happy Doomsday Retreat. Most recently, he called his project EMSUS (Experimental Module of a Sustainable Society), which would provide "a cohesive sense of common purpose and belonging now missing among the destitute and hopeless."

The concept of an alternative community for the world's disenfranchised intrigued some but failed to generate substantial financial support. Still, he relished his role as a provocateur.

Born in Belgrade, he and his family immigrated to Paraguay shortly after World War II. He grew up on a farm outside Asuncion and attended high school there.

Largely self-taught, he was fluent in Serbo-Croatian, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and English by the time he came to the United States in 1964. He settled in the Washington area that same year and worked as freelance translator.

In the late 1960s he became a linguist, interpreter and translator with the American Defense Board, which runs the American Defense College. He retired from the college in 1990 but continued to work there as a consultant.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Maria Zelmira Nedelcovic of Herndon; two children, Maria Ines Nedelcovic of Manhattan and Ivan Rafael Nedelcovic of Johnson City, Tenn.; and two grandchildren.

Harry W. Henderson

Information Officer

Harry W. Henderson, 91, an Agriculture Department information writer who retired in 1972 as assistant to the foreign agriculture administrator, died of cardiovascular disease Dec. 28 at his Silver Spring home.

Over a 38-year career, Mr. Henderson was the information officer at a number of agricultural trade fairs abroad and a speech writer for the department. After he retired, he wrote on economics, population policy and agriculture for publications that included Collier's Encyclopedia. He also conducted genealogical research.

He was a native of Eldon, Iowa, and a graduate of the University of Iowa. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

Mr. Henderson was a member of the National Press Club. His interests included the piano and photography.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Eleanor Henderson of Silver Spring; three daughters, Martha Phillips of West Goshen, Conn., Patricia Thomas of Leesburg and Jeanne Fertig of Atlanta; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Jean Morrow Dye

White House Volunteer

Jean Morrow Dye, 78, a volunteer in the White House communications office in the 1980s and with Navy Relief offices in the U.S. and abroad, died of cancer Dec. 30 at Sleepy Hollow Nursing Home in Annandale. A resident of the Washington area off and on since 1956, her home was in Arlington.

Mrs. Dye was a native of Grand Forks, N.D., and a graduate of the University of North Dakota. She received a master's degree in business from Northwestern University.

As a young woman, she was a sales manager with Aldens department store in Chicago in the 1940s. In the 1950s and 1960s, she accompanied her husband to Navy assignments in Japan and France.

Mrs. Dye was a volunteer with the Republican National Committee during the Ford administration and a member of the alumni associations of Northwestern and the University of North Dakota, Navy Officer Wives clubs, Army Navy Country Club, Delta Gamma social sorority and Mortar Board. Her interests included bridge.

Her husband, retired Cmdr. Kenneth "Bill" Dye, died in 1986.

There are no immediate survivors.

Louise M. Hurte

Hotel Worker

Louise M. Hurte, 79, who had been a room service manager at the Mayflower and Washington Hilton hotels in the 1970s, died of colon cancer Dec. 30 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Hurte, a Richmond native, came to the Washington area in the early 1930s. In the 1940s, she was did freelance photography and modeled hats. In the 1960s, she was a saleswoman in the downtown Hecht Co. department store.

Her husband, William V. Hurte, died in the 1980s. Survivors include a daughter, Wanda Chichester of Arlington; and a sister, Ollie Robinson of Washington.

Louise D. Guarino

Nurse and Personnel Official

Louise D. Guarino, 72, a nurse who retired in 1988 as head of the medical department and deputy director of personnel at the Kodak film processing laboratory in Gaithersburg, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 27 at a hospital in Orange City, Fla. She moved to Deltona, Fla., after she retired.

Mrs. Guarino was a graduate of the nursing school at St. Raphael's Hospital in her native New Haven, Conn., where she also taught. She was an operating room nurse at Sloan-Kettering Memorial Hospital in New York before joining Kodak in Washington in 1958.

Mrs. Guarino was also a tax preparer for H&R Block in Rockville, Gaithersburg and Deltona.

She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Her husband, Peter S. Guarino, died in 1985.

Survivors include a son, Christopher Guarino of Bethesda, and two granddaughters.