Official Faces 3rd Drunken Driving Charge

The director of emergency preparedness for Prince George's County was charged last week with driving while intoxicated, the third time he has been arrested on a charge of drunken driving in Maryland, according to police reports and court records.

David Anthony Jacobs, 44, of Bowie, was driving near Smallwood Drive West and St. Patricks Drive in Waldorf shortly after midnight Dec. 30 when he was stopped by a state trooper, Maryland State Police said. Jacobs was taken to the state police barracks in Waldorf, where he was charged with driving while intoxicated. State police said other details of the arrest were not immediately available.

On July 1, 1998, Jacobs was charged with driving under the influence after he was stopped by police in Ocean City while driving a county-owned car. Court records show he pleaded guilty on Jan. 25, 1999, and paid $355 in fines and court costs.

Jacobs also pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in 1992 after he was stopped on Interstate 95 in Prince George's. He was fined $85, according to court records. Under Maryland law, a motorist with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 or 0.09 percent can be charged with driving under the influence. At 0.10 percent or above, a driver can be charged with driving while intoxicated.

County government spokesman Reggie Parks said officials are investigating Jacobs's most recent arrest. He said Jacobs was not driving a county-owned vehicle. Jacobs did not return phone calls yesterday.

Man Gets 20 Years for Killing Rival

A 40-year-old Forestville man was ordered yesterday to serve 20 years in prison for fatally shooting a Gaithersburg man in a dispute about a woman. A Montgomery County jury convicted Gregory Cheseman in October of second-degree murder and using a handgun in a violent crime in the Feb. 3, 1999, shooting death of Claudrez Luez Stenhouse, 31, of the 12800 block of Kitchen House Way.

Prosecutors said Cheseman drove to his ex-girlfriend's apartment because he was jealous that she was dating someone new and then shot Stenhouse three times, including twice in the back as Stenhouse tried to run away. Montgomery Circuit Court Judge Paul A. McGuckian sentenced Cheseman yesterday to 30 years in prison for second-degree murder but suspended 15 years. The judge also ordered Cheseman to serve a consecutive five-year sentence for the handgun charge.

The judge noted that Cheseman, an accountant, had no prior criminal record but had admitted to using drugs since he was 17. Cheseman apologized to Stenhouse's family and said he hoped to one day start a charitable fund in Stenhouse's name.

HIV-Positive Man Jailed for Biting Guard

An HIV-infected man who bit a Frederick security guard during a struggle in June was sentenced yesterday to 18 months in jail for assault. The victim, whose name is being withheld, has not tested positive for the HIV virus, which causes AIDS, State's Attorney Scott Rolle said.

Prosecutors said Eric Glaspie, of Baltimore, cut his mouth while struggling with three security officers, a clerk and an off-duty police officer and bit one of the guards on the arm, breaking his skin. The scuffle began when security officers tried to stop Glaspie from leaving a store after a clerk suspected he was trying to buy merchandise with a bogus check.