Robert B. Crosby

Nebraska Governor

Robert B. Crosby, 88, who was known as the Boy Governor from North Platte when he served as Nebraska's chief executive from 1953 to 1955, died Jan. 7 in Lincoln, Neb. He had Parkinson's disease and prostate cancer.

Mr. Crosby, a Republican, was elected to the legislature in 1941 when he was 29. Two years later, he was chosen speaker, the youngest state senator up to that time to hold the post. After World War II service in the Navy, he was elected lieutenant governor in 1946.

In recent decades, he practiced law in Lincoln. He also was a lobbyist, working primarily on behalf of highway contractors and material suppliers, public power agencies and water interests.

Bruno Zevi

Italian Architect

Bruno Zevi, 81, an Italian architect and architectural historian who was an opponent of fascism in politics as well as in building design, died Jan. 9 at his home in Rome. He had influenza.

He was an innovator in modernist architecture, supporting the argument that organic form, not classic symmetry, was the key to modern design. Pieces he wrote helped popularize the work of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright and the theory behind organic architecture, a concept that fuses architecture and nature.

Mr. Zevi, a Rome native and Harvard University graduate, had been a professor at the universities of Venice and Rome. He served in Italy's clandestine Justice and Liberty movement while fascists held power. After the war, he served in the Chamber of Deputies as a member of the Radical Party.

Irene Winifred Eno

Art Professor

Irene Winifred Eno, 94, who taught interior design at American University from 1961 to 1974, died Dec. 21 at the Bedford Court nursing facility in Silver Spring. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Miss Eno, who also taught the history of decorative arts, was associated with two other Washington institutions, the Abbott Art School and the National Academy of Art.

She was born in Boston. She attended the Sackler School of Design and American University, and lectured on television and at schools internationally. Her paintings were exhibited locally and in Boston.

She was a founder of the Washington chapter of the American Institute of Interior Designers

There are no immediate survivors.

Laura Jane Soule Schmuck


Laura Jane Soule Schmuck, 92, a past volunteer for Suburban Hospital and the thrift shop of the Chevy Chase Women's Club, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 4 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Schmuck, who lived in the Washington area since 1948, was a native of New York and a 1928 graduate of the University of Michigan. She studied social work at the New School for Social Research in New York and worked in that city as a social worker.

She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the American Association of University Women.

Her husband, Edward J. Schmuck, died in 1990. Survivors include two children, Peter Soule of Yachats, Ore., and Paula Schmuck Roberts of Vienna; and two grandchildren.

Larry B. Young

Investor Relations Director

Larry B. Young, 67, a former California banker who later became director of investor relations in Washington for Freddie Mac, died of cardiovascular disease Dec. 28 at his home in McLean.

After two years with the organization, Mr. Young retired in 1993 from Freddie Mac, a congressionally chartered corporation that generates money for home loans.

Before moving to Washington in 1991, Mr. Young lived in Santa Monica, Calif., and spent more than 20 years with First Interstate Bank, including as a vice president.

He was a native of Michigan and a 1957 international relations graduate of Stanford University. He received an MBA from Harvard University, then served a short stint in the Army before moving to New York, where he worked for a couple of financial institutions.

His marriage to Barrie Young ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Brian Young of Portland, Ore., and a sister.

Harry Lee Hubble

Auto Mechanic

Harry Lee Hubble, 92, an auto mechanic who retired in 1982 from Community Motors in Bethesda, died of pneumonia Jan. 3 at a nursing home in Lancaster, Pa. He moved there in November from Rockville.

Mr. Hubble was born in Chatham, Va., and raised in Poolesville. He had worked at Arthur Bell's service station in Darnestown, Rockmont Chevrolet and King Pontiac, where he was on the staff for more than 40 years.

His first wife, Kathleen H. Hubble, died in 1964, and his second wife, Lucy Hubble, died later in the 1960s.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Edna Hubble of Lancaster; two children from his first marriage, Lee E. Hubble of Fredericksburg, Va., and Annie Mae Graham of Rockville; three stepchildren, John Sanbower of Lancaster, Andrew Sanbower of Eagle Lake, Fla., and Christine Sutphin of Libertytown, Md.; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Wilma Arlene Ammerman

Administrative Assistant

Wilma Arlene Ammerman, 81, who retired as an administrative assistant in 1980 from the National Institute of Mental Health, died of a stroke Jan. 4 at the Wilson Health Care Center of Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg. She had dementia.

Mrs. Ammerman, a former resident of Potomac, was a graduate of Gem City Business College in her native Quincy, Ill. She also studied at the Corcoran School of Art.

She was an administrative assistant with the Army Air Forces during the 1940s and taught art at Beauvoir School in the late 1960s. She joined the NIMH staff in the mid-1970s.

She was a member of Calvary Baptist Church in Washington and was a Girl Scout leader.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Howard Ammerman of Gaithersburg; two children, Jim Ammerman of College Station, Tex., and Alice Ammerman of Chapel Hill, N.C.; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Edward Donald Mateik

Navy Captain

Edward Donald Mateik, 80, a Navy captain who retired in 1981 as director of administration of the Armed Forces Radiobiological Research Institute, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 4 at his home in Bethesda.

Capt. Mateik served largely as a medical corps financial officer and was posted to the Pacific during World War II and the Korean War. He also was assigned to Puerto Rico.

He was a native of Lakewood, Ohio, and had lived in the Washington area off and on since 1948. He attended American University. His honors included a Meritorious Service Medal.

Capt. Mateik was a volunteer in the pharmacy of Bethesda Naval Hospital and with the American Red Cross.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Mary Mateik of Bethesda; two daughters, Faye Naylor of Damascus and Mary Ann O'Brien of Canandaigua, N.Y.; three brothers; two granddaughters; and two great-grandchildren.

Elaine L. Rook


Elaine L. Rook, 62, who ran a business that sent money and flowers and provided other personal services from Americans to people primarily in Russia and Ukraine, died of ovarian cancer Dec. 31 at her home in Alexandria.

Before starting the firm, Landmark Opportunities Ltd., in 1991, Mrs. Rook taught at Parklawn Elementary School in Alexandria from 1977 to 1990. She was born in Naugatuck, Conn., and graduated from New York University with a bachelor's degree in 1958. She received a master's degree from New York University in education in 1960.

She lived in New Hampshire, Mississippi and Germany with her husband, retired Navy Capt. Eugene Clark Rook Jr., before settling in the Washington area in 1977.

She was a member of the New York University Alumni Association, Phi Beta Kappa Society and Episcopal Church of the Resurrection in Alexandria.

Besides her husband of 37 years, who lives in Alexandria, survivors include two sons, Douglass Rook of Ashburn and Eugene "Trey" Rook III of Alexandria; her mother, Ruth Lundin of Naugatuck; a sister; and two grandsons.

Eugenie Maude Joiner

Trade Publication Editor

Eugenie Maude Joiner, 86, a former publications editor for the Manufacturing Chemists' Association, died of cancer Dec. 17 at Goodwin House, a retirement community in Alexandria. A former Alexandria and McLean resident, she lived at Goodwin House for the past 14 years.

A daughter of traveling musicians, Mrs. Joiner was born in Washington and raised in numerous cities in the United States and Canada. When her family settled in Washington at the beginning of World War II, she took a government job and became a soprano soloist in her mother's singing group, which provided musical entertainment at military hospitals.

For about 10 years until 1954, she worked for the National Methodist Board of Social Concerns as assistant editor of publications and conference/seminar representative. Then she spent about three years with the Manufacturing Chemists' Association.

She was a member of Virginia Press Women, the National Association of American Penwomen and the Northern Virginia Cultural Arts Club.

Her husband, J. Elliott Joiner, died in 1967. She leaves no immediate survivors.

Marion Beegle

American University Aide

Marion Beegle, 84, a former assistant in the student accounts and alumni offices of American University, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 2 in the nursing facility at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Beegle was born in Franklinville, N.Y. She attended Roberts Wesleyan College in New York and Taylor University in Indiana.

In 1965, she moved from New York to Washington when her husband, Dewey M. Beegle, became a professor at Wesley Theological Seminary. He died about five years ago.

In addition to serving on the staffs of the student accounts and alumni offices at American University, Mrs. Beegle hosted parties and dinners for students and their spouses. She traveled extensively with her husband, visiting former students and various archaeological sites around the world, and participated in archaeological excavations in the Middle East.

She sang in the choir at Petworth United Methodist Church in Washington and assisted new members during its transition to a racially integrated congregation. At Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, she was vice president, then president, and later chairman of Circle Six.

Survivors include two stepdaughters, Kathryn Nadine Kunkel of Meridian, Idaho, and Barbara Lee Spaniol of Tucson; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Robert Aloysius Gubisch


Robert Aloysius Gubisch, 71, a certified public accountant who worked for the Security Storage Co. of Washington for 30 years before retiring in 1994 as its treasurer, died of cancer Jan. 5 at his home in Germantown.

Mr. Gubisch was born in Washington and graduated from St. John's College High School. He served in the Navy in the late 1940s, then attended the University of Maryland and graduated from Ben Franklin University with a degree in accounting.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and had done volunteer work for the Silver Hill Boys Club. His hobbies included golf.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Connie Gilroy Gubisch of Germantown; six children, Lou, Matt and Mark Gubisch, all of Germantown, Lynn Patton of Gaithersburg, Laura Gubisch of Washington and Mary Gubisch of Newport, R.I.; three siblings, Jack, of College Park, Marie Carosi of Bethesda and Loretta Alessandrini of Annapolis; and four grandchildren.

Kay D. Smith

Library Assistant

Kay D. Smith, 65, who was an assistant at the Germantown public library, died of arteriosclerosis Jan. 3 at her home in Rockville.

Mrs. Smith worked for the Montgomery County library system off and on from the 1970s until she retired in 1996.

She was a native of Menominee, Mich., and attended Kalamazoo College. Before moving to the Washington area in 1967, she was a dental assistant.

Mrs. Smith was a former resident of Alexandria, where she chaired the Polk Elementary School PTA and was a member of Episcopal Church of the Resurrection.

Survivors include her husband of 33 years, David Smith of Rockville; two sons, Andrew Y.C. Smith of Upper Marlboro and Gordon C.H. Smith of Silver Spring; a brother; and a sister.

Franklin Mansfield Meadows

Defense Official

Franklin Mansfield Meadows, 58, the director for management for command, control, communications and intelligence in the office of the secretary of defense, died of brain cancer and melanoma Jan. 6 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Meadows, who lived in Arlington, was born in Sharlow, W.Va. He served 23 years in the Army before retiring in 1982 as a sergeant major. This included assignments in Germany, Vietnam and 11 years with NATO in Brussels. He had lived periodically in the Washington area since 1959.

After his military retirement, Mr. Meadows worked as a civilian in the office of the secretary of defense until 1996.

His awards included the Bronze Star, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal and the Defense Department's Distinguished Civilian Service Award.

His avocations included fishing, hunting and woodworking.

His marriage to Carolina Christopher ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Meadows, and their son, Jeffrey Hawley Meadows, both of Arlington; two children from his first marriage, William Meadows of Pleasanton, Tex., and Sandra Scarbrough of Corpus Christi, Tex.; a brother; and four sisters.

Joyce Nagata Maguire


Joyce Nagata Maguire, 43, a lawyer who worked for the General Accounting Office from 1982 to 1996 and retired from the Defense Department's office of hearing and appeals in 1998, died of cancer Jan. 6 at her Rockville home.

She was born in La Jolla, Calif., and raised in Oceanside, Calif., where she taught high school English as a young woman. She was an honors graduate of California Polytechnic Institute and received a law degree from the University of San Diego.

A specialist in personnel law, Mrs. Maguire received several meritorious service awards from the government.

She was a volunteer with Catholic Charities and a foster parent to infants awaiting adoption under the auspices of the organization. She was president of the Woods Academy PTA and a member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society and St. Bartholomew's Catholic Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include her husband of 16 years, Frank Maguire, and two children, Matthew Maguire and Margaret Maguire, all of Rockville; her parents, Mits and Miki Nagata of Oceanside; and two sisters.

Nageeb G. Trabulsi

CIA Analyst

Nageeb G. Trabulsi, 77, an analyst who retired from the CIA in 1976, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 3 at Arlington Hospital.

He was a resident of Arlington and a native of West New York, N.J. He attended Yale University and the University of Michigan and graduated from Sophia University in Tokyo. He also studied law at Pace College.

Mr. Trabulsi served in the Army as a counterintelligence officer during World War II and in Japan after the war. He continued in Japan with the CIA before moving to Washington in 1956. After he retired from the agency's Far East division, he continued as a contract employee.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Grace Warren Trabulsi of Arlington; two children, Jeanne van Zuijlen-Trabulsi of Arlington and James F. Trabulsi of Uxbridge, Mass.; and three grandchildren.

Anne Westall Paine

Public Relations Officer

Anne Westall Paine, 73, a former public relations officer for George Mason University, the Fairfax County Public Library and the Fairfax County Park Authority, died of lung disease and a heart attack Jan. 5 at her home in Weaverville, N.C.

Mrs. Paine was born in Asheville, N.C., and attended Randolph Macon College. She lived in New York for 20 years before moving to Fairfax in 1971. She graduated from George Mason and received a master's degree there in English literature, then did public relations work and writing for the Park Authority, the library and George Mason until the early 1990s.

She was a former president of the Fairfax Garden Club. In 1993, she moved back to North Carolina.

Survivors include her husband, Lewis C. Paine Jr. of Weaverville; five children, Thomas, of Weaverville, Lewis III, of Wayland, Mass., James, of Superior, Colo., Robert, of Warrenton, and Linda Paine of Norwalk, Conn.; a brother; and four grandchildren.

John Shaw Yard

Singer and Instructor

John Shaw Yard, 83, a classical vocalist and founding member of the singing group Mozart Trio, which toured the United States and Europe in the 1950s and '60s, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 4 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Yard was one of two baritones in the Mozart Trio. There was also a soprano and a pianist. Together they regularly performed in concert halls and opera houses, becoming a well-known feature act.

In addition to singing, the Mozart Trio acted out rare Mozart voice ensembles and dramas, which Mr. Yard unearthed and adapted for the group.

The Mozart Trio disbanded in the mid-1960s. Mr. Yard, who lived in Washington, taught classical singing at Catholic University in the 1950s and at the University of Maryland in Catonsville in the 1970s.

He was born in Connellsville, Pa., and was raised in Washington, Pa., and Pittsburgh. He received musical training in his youth and graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in music. He came to Washington while serving in the Navy during World War II.

Survivors include his companion of 30 years, Anthony Turner of Washington.