Officer Cleared in Arrested Man's Injury

A Montgomery County jury found yesterday that a Montgomery police officer did not assault a Lanham man who alleged that the officer permanently damaged his arm during his arrest after a traffic stop.

After a six-hour civil trial, the jury found that Officer Charles Carafano did not use undue force when he arrested Grady Terry Jr. on drug charges in April 1998. Terry had sued Carafano, alleging that the officer pulled him over without justification and then intentionally hurt him by beating and kicking him after he was handcuffed.

Carafano testified that he pulled Terry over because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and he knew that Terry's driver's license was suspended. He said he and another officer had to restrain Terry when he tried to run away.

Terry represented himself at trial after he fired his attorney, he said, for not pursuing the case. He did not testify but told the jury during closing arguments that his license wasn't suspended at the time and that Carafano had left bruises on his back and sprained his elbow.

Carafano is under scrutiny in an unrelated criminal case in which a defendant's attorney alleges that the officer used racial profiling to target his client, a black man, on a drug arrest. That case is set for trial in April.

Overcharge Charges Filed in Towing

The owner of a Temple Hills towing company was arrested yesterday on charges that he overbilled people whose cars were impounded at the request of police, Prince George's County police said.

Leo Fenwick, 50, was charged with seven counts of theft after police searched his company, Triple L Towing, at 4611 Cremen Rd. in Temple Hills.

Investigators said they had verified complaints from seven people that the company had overcharged them for towing their cars and then submitted false receipts to the Prince George's County Police Department. Triple L Towing has a contract with the Prince George's police to impound vehicles, but the deal sets limits on how much the firm can charge, said Cpl. Tim Estes, a police spokesman.

Man Admits to Attack on Deliverywoman

A Baltimore man pleaded guilty in a Howard County court yesterday to armed robbery and a gun violation for his part in the New Year's Day 1999 shooting of a Columbia pizza deliverywoman.

Charles A. Mosley Jr., 19, faces up to 20 years in prison for armed robbery and up to 15 years for using a handgun in the commission of a felony. He will be sentenced April 20. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors dropped charges of attempted first- and second-degree murder, first-degree assault, conspiracy, attempted carjacking and kidnapping.

Prosecutors said that another Baltimore man, Naim Quinton Abdul-Muhaimin, 21, shot the deliverywoman and that Mosley was his accomplice. Abdul-Muhaimin is scheduled to be tried on attempted murder charges Jan. 24. The deliverywoman was shot in the back of the head but has since recovered.


Victims in Two Slayings Identified

Two people killed last weekend have been identified, but investigators have made no arrests.

Anthony Butler, 26, died early Saturday from blunt-force trauma to the head after a fight Friday night in the 1300 block of Columbia Road NW, police said.

Early Sunday, a 24-year-old mother of two was fatally shot in the head in the 800 block of Tuckerman Street NW, police said.

Michelle Ann Jones's mother said she has no idea why her daughter was outside, two blocks from her home, shortly after midnight. Investigators are still trying to determine a motive.

CAPTION: Lt. Rosco Meekins announces that workers can return to One Judiciary Square. About 1,300 people were evacuated from the building for an hour after a bomb threat, but police found no bomb.