Quince Orchard Library Open

Gaithersburg's new Quince Orchard Community Library, which features more than 100,000 items for children and adults, 20 computer terminals and a children's discovery room, opened last month.

The 17,991-square-foot facility is across from Quince Orchard High School at 15831 Quince Orchard Rd.

"I know the residents of this area appreciate the important role that libraries play in the lives of their children and their community--providing learning centers, meeting places and recreational support," County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D) said at the ribbon-cutting ceremony. "Men and mortar may have built this facility, but it is the spirit and dedication of the community that will shape the character of the Quince Orchard library for years to come."

The library will be open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Wednesdays from 1 to 8:30 p.m.; and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

'Town Hall' Meeting Wednesday

The next Montgomery County Council "Town Hall" meeting will be Wednesday at the Holiday Park Multiservice Senior Center. The 8 p.m. meeting will follow an informal reception at 7:30 p.m. and will focus on topics of interest to residents of the mid-county area--Aspen Hill, Kemp Mill, Kensington, Olney, Upper Rock Creek and Wheaton. Montgomery Cable/Channel 55 will televise the meeting at a later date.

Holiday Park Multiservice Senior Center is at 3950 Ferrara Dr. in Wheaton. For information, call 240-777-7939.

Superintendent to Give Talk

Montgomery County School Superintendent Jerry D. Weast will address the Mid-County Citizens Advisory Board at its monthly meeting Tuesday. Weast will outline his goals for the coming year and answer questions about Montgomery County schools in general and schools in the mid-county region.

The region includes the communities of Aspen Hill, Kemp Mill, Kensington, Olney, Upper Rock Creek and Wheaton. The meeting will be at 7:15 p.m. at the Mid-County Services Center, 2424 Reedie Dr. in Wheaton.

The 15-member Mid-County Citizens Advisory Board provides advice and recommendations to county officials; works to promote solutions to community issues; advises the county executive on policy and budget issues, planning and goal-setting procedures and legislative matters; and educates the community on governmental structures and services.

Leaf Vacuuming Ended for Season

Vacuum leaf collection service has been completed for the season. Residents in areas of the county where this service is provided are asked to no longer rake leaves to the curb.

Those with curbside yard-trimmings collection service can still recycle leaves by placing them at the curb on recycling day either in large brown paper bags or reusable trash cans labeled "Recycle."

The vacuum collection area is bounded by the city of Rockville, Northwest Branch Park, the Prince George's County boundary, the District of Columbia boundary and Interstate 270. The service began Nov. 1 and was completed Dec. 18. Residents who wish to comment on the leaf-vacuuming service or who would like more information may call 240-777-7623.

For more information about setting out leaves for pickup, call 240-777-6410. Information is also available at the Department of Public Works and Transportation's Web site, www.dpwt.com/PubWksDiv/vacuum.htm. Click on "Highway Services."

Brighton Dam Bridge Reopened

The two-lane Brighton Dam Bridge, closed since October 1998, has reopened.

The 55-year-old Howard/Montgomery link spanning the Patuxent River over Brighton Dam underwent extensive rehabilitation. Up to 15,000 vehicles cross the bridge daily.

The adjoining counties paid for 80 percent of the $2.5 million project with funds from the Federal Bridge Replacement Program. The counties, with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, shared the cost of the remaining 20 percent.