State Police Leader Huggins Resigns

Col. M. Wayne Huggins, the former Fairfax County sheriff who served two governors as the leader of the Virginia State Police, announced his resignation yesterday to enter private business and spend more time with his family.

Huggins, 51, said he is leaving government in two weeks to join Omniplex World Services Corp., an international security consulting firm with headquarters at Tysons Corner.

Huggins served 10 years as the Fairfax sheriff before Gov. George Allen (R) appointed him state police superintendent in 1994. Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) reappointed him two years ago.

Gilmore issued a statement saying he accepted Huggins's resignation with regret, adding he was "keenly aware of his dedication [and] professionalism."

Arlington Woman Dies in Scuba Accident

An Arlington woman died while scuba diving near Little Cayman Island in the Caribbean, authorities said yesterday.

Helene Boatner, 65, a retired Central Intelligence Agency executive who lived in the 2700 block of South Fort Scott Drive, was diving with a group off Little Cayman Island Wednesday morning when she and a fellow diver became separated from the others, said Inspector Burmon Scott, of the Cayman Island police. The captain of the dive boat reported the two missing, Scott said, and about a half-hour later, they were spotted on the beach.

Scott said the captain and others tried without success to revive her by administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation. He said the diver who was with her was uninjured.

Boatner was a retired senior executive with the CIA, according to a cousin, Mark M. Boatner, who recalled that "she was one of the top women with the CIA when they didn't have many women."

Neighbors said she lived alone and described her as a private person who enjoyed gardening.

Frye Voted Fairfax School Board Chairman

Robert E. Frye Sr., whose 15 years on the Fairfax County School Board make him its longest-serving member, was elected last night to a second one-year term as its chairman on an 11 to 0 vote.

The board elected Jane K. Strauss (Dranesville) vice chairman. Strauss has served seven years on the board, the past 4 1/2 years as its budget chairman.

Democrat-endorsed board members hold seven of the board's 12 seats. Both Frye (At Large) and Strauss are Democrats. Democrat Stuart D. Gibson (Hunter Mill) was named to replace Strauss as budget chairman.


Pepsi Locks Up SoccerPlex Concession

Pepsi will pay $1.3 million over the next 10 years for the exclusive soft-drink concession at what is planned to be the largest soccer complex in the Washington area, officials said yesterday.

Construction has started on the $19.8 million SoccerPlex in South Germantown, where 26 indoor and outdoor fields and a 3,200-seat stadium are planned. The Maryland Soccer Foundation, the nonprofit group running the stadium, has been trying to raise its $11 million share of the project. The county is picking up the balance.

Pepsi is the latest corporate sponsor to support the complex. John S. Hendricks, founder of Discovery Communications in Bethesda, has pledged $1 million, and the indoor arena will be named for his company.

Naming School Causes Stir in Pr. George's

A proposal to name a new high school in Prince George's County after a living person has met with opposition.

County Board of Education member Kenneth E. Johnson (Mitchellville) says the new building in Springdale should be named Charles Herbert Flowers High School to honor a man who once served as a flight instructor for the Tuskegee Airmen, the squadron of African American aviators who served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II.

But some county residents say school board rules prohibit naming schools after living people. They favor other names, including Springdale-Ardmore High, James C. Fletcher High, after a late former mayor of Landover, or G. Van Standifer High, after the late founder of the Midnight Basketball League.

Johnson said that the board can waive those requirements and that he came to favor Flowers after a local community group pitched the name several years ago. The new high school, the first in the county in 24 years, opens this fall.


Metro Directors Back Bigger Ad Budget

Metro directors gave initial support yesterday to spending an additional $148,000 for a media campaign to promote late-night subway service.

The decision, which requires final approval, came after transit officials told the directors that the agency spent the entire $78,000 advertising budget within weeks after the new service started Nov. 5. If the additional spending is approved, Metro would likely run radio and television ads promoting the night owl trains, which run until 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights.

Montgomery County's representative to the Metro board, Cleatus E. Barnett, offered a word of caution. "The board ought to be careful about committing itself to extravagant advertising campaigns," said Barnett, who believes the best advertisement for Metro is reliable, affordable service.


Federal Judge Stanley Sporkin Retires

Senior U.S. District Judge Stanley Sporkin is retiring today after 14 years on the federal bench, ending a judicial career in which he won respect from area lawyers, not only for his legal opinions but for the colorful remarks he made in court.

Sporkin, 67, was appointed to a federal judgeship in Washington by President Ronald Reagan after working as general counsel to the Central Intelligence Agency and as enforcement chief of the Securities and Exchange Commission. He heard dozens of high-profile matters, including an independent counsel's case against former housing secretary Henry G. Cisneros, who pleaded guilty to a charge of lying to the FBI.

Sporkin said he planned to continue working in private practice, adding that he will begin exploring career options. Fellow judges, court employees and attorneys crowded into his courtroom yesterday and gave him a standing ovation as he completed his last scheduled proceedings. Chief Judge Norma Holloway Johnson praised him in court as an exceptional model of judicial independence, fairness, courage and compassion.


"It was my way of saying goodbye. The last time I touched her, I was saying goodbye 14 years ago."

-- Dee Dee Appleby, after placing her hand on the remains of her slain 6-year-old daughter, Michele Dorr, at a funeral home. Michele's body was found in a shallow grave last week.