The Jan. 15 obituary of Earl F. "Mac" McDonald misspelled his last name. The obituary should have said that he retired from the Army in 1962 and that his career at the Naval Ordnance Station lasted from 1962 to 1984. (Published 01/16/2000) The Jan 15 obituary of Robert E. Neiderer misstated the years of his employment at Vitro Corp. He was a technical illustrator for Vitro from 1960 to 1989. (Published 01/19/2000)

Robert Millman


Robert Millman, 55, a doctor who ran a family practice in Gaithersburg since the mid-1980s, died of pancreatic cancer Jan. 1 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He lived in Gaithersburg.

Dr. Millman was a Washington native, grew up in Silver Spring and graduated from Wheaton High School. He received a bachelor's and medical degree from George Washington University in 1969 and worked at the old Deer Park Medical Group in Gaithersburg from 1972 until the mid-1980s.

He was a clinical instructor at George Washington University in the 1990s, and his hobbies included promoting organ donation and taking care of injured animals. He volunteered his services for immigrant Russian Jews at the Jewish Community Center in Rockville.

He was a member of the American Board of Family Physicians and its Maryland chapter.

His marriage to Anita Catzva ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Nancy Kluvo Millman, of Gaithersburg; a daughter from his first marriage, Shari Perry of Germantown; a son from his first marriage, David, of Las Vegas; his parents, Leonard and Lillian Millman of Hollywood, Fla.; a brother, Richard Millman of Gaithersburg; and a granddaughter.

William F. Malone

Army Officer and Real Estate Broker

William F. Malone, 78, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who also was a successful real estate broker, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 8 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Col. Malone, a native of Toledo, served 21 years in the Army, including in the Philippine Islands during World War II. He had subsequent assignments with the faculty at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, of which he was a 1943 graduate, and with the Combat Development Experimentation Command at Fort Ord, Calif., and the Army General Staff at the Pentagon.

He turned to real estate after his military retirement in 1964, initially working for a real estate company. In 1970, he and his wife, Nancy, founded their own firm, Malone Real Estate Inc., which specialized in residential properties in Northern Virginia for about 16 years until the mid-1980s.

He twice served as president of the Northern Virginia Board of Realtors and received its Realtor of the Year Award in 1976. He also served as president of the Virginia Association of Realtors.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Nancy Hobbs Malone of Falls Church; two children, Patricia Malone Collmeyer of Lake Oswego, Ore., and William F. Malone III of Marietta, Ga.; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Earl F. `Mac' MacDonald

Army Major

Earl F. "Mac" MacDonald, 80, an Army major who retired in 1960 as ordnance maintenance officer at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, died of cancer Jan. 10 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base.

From 1960 until his civilian retirement in 1978, Maj. MacDonald was transportation superintendent at the Naval Ordnance Station at Indian Head.

Maj. MacDonald, a resident of Oxon Hill, was born in Covington, Va. He began his Army career in 1939 as a private in a horse cavalry unit at Fort Myer. Later he was a sentinel at the Tomb of the Unknowns. During World War II, he served in infantry units in Europe and participated in combat operations in France and Germany.

He left the Army for a period after the war, but then rejoined the service as an officer. He fought in Korea with an infantry unit during the Korean War, then served in Puerto Rico and at Aberdeen as a missile inspector.

He earned a Combat Infantryman's Badge.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Frances MacDonald of Oxon Hill; four children, Susan Pettibone of Yarmouth, Mass., Donna Hall of Alexandria, Andrew MacDonald of Annandale and Marie Kuhns of Bowie; and 10 grandchildren.

Betty Susanne Shaw

Electrical Designer

Betty Susanne Shaw, 64, an electrical designer who prepared plans and specifications for electrical work in Fairfax County schools, died of liver failure Jan. 7 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Shaw, who lived in Annandale, was born in Johnstown, Pa., and graduated from Syracuse University. She moved to this area in 1967. For about nine years in the 1980s and 1990s, she designed electrical work for the Fairfax schools.

She participated in fund-raising activities and assisted in the publication of cookbooks for the Truro Homes Association, where she also was active in the garden club. Her avocations included boating and sailing, and she was a former commodore of the Fort Washington Yacht Club.

Her marriage to Charles Shaw ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Craig Shaw of Alexandria and Laura Shaw of Waterford, Va.; and a brother.

Rose LeBow


Rose LeBow, 87, a member of B'nai B'rith and the Sabra section of Hadassah, died of renal failure Dec. 20 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. LeBow, who lived in Rockville for the last 12 years, spent most of her life in Westchester County, N.Y., where she was active in volunteer work.

She was born in New York City and grew up in California and in Calgary and Alberta, Canada.

Her husband, George LeBow, died in 1995. Survivors include two children, Joseph LeBow of Stamford, Conn., and C. Dian LeBow of Rockville; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

David Herndon Wells

FBI Special Agent

David Herndon Wells, 74, a Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent who spent most of his 28-year career doing domestic intelligence work in the Washington field office before retiring in 1979, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 7 at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, Md.

Mr. Wells, who was born in Washington, grew up in Silver Spring and graduated from Montgomery Blair High School. He served in the Navy at the end of World War II and later graduated with a degree in accounting from the University of Maryland.

While in retirement, he maintained homes in Berlin and Sarasota, Fla. He also worked as a part-time accountant and enjoyed playing golf. He was a member of the Ocean Pines Men's Golf Association and Phi Kappa Sigma social fraternity.

Survivors include his wife of more than 50 years, Nancy Jane Friel of Berlin; four children, Michael Ann Wells of Rockville, Diane Marie Wells of Kensington, Ellen Taylor of Arnold and David Herndon Wells Jr. of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.

Robert E. Neiderer


Robert E. Neiderer, 65, a technical illustrator with Vitro Corp. from the 1960s until 1969, died of pneumonia Jan. 7 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Neiderer had lived in Silver Spring for 38 years. He was a native of Hanover, Pa., who attended Williamsport Community College in Pennsylvania. He served in the Army in Puerto Rico.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, JoAnne Neiderer of Silver Spring; two children, Michael A. Neiderer of Annapolis and Lori Neiderer of Baltimore; and two brothers.

Romaine E. Leppley


Romaine E. Leppley, 85, a former drapery store manager who worked as a self-employed seamstress for about 50 years until retiring in 1970, died of a stroke Jan. 6 at Integrated Health Services nursing home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Leppley, who lived in Alexandria for more than 30 years, was a native of Lancaster, Pa. During World War II, she volunteered to serve on a civilian construction battalion doing work for the Navy.

An employee of Leonard's Drapery in Lancaster, she was sent to manage its store in the Baileys Crossroad area in 1967. She worked there for three years.

She was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Her husband, Harry Leppley, died in 1962. Survivors include a son, Donald Leppley of Alexandria; and a sister.

Charles Orin Willis Jr.

Transit Authority Contract Administrator

Charles Orin Willis Jr., 75, a former land surveyor and civil engineer who was in charge of administering design contracts during the incremental development of the Metro subway system, died Jan. 9 at his home in Alexandria of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Alexandria police said the death was an apparent suicide.

As contractor administrator for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority from the mid-1970s until his retirement in 1989, Mr. Willis served as a key negotiator in dealing with architects and engineers over design and engineering plans for Metro.

Before joining Metro in the mid-1970s, he spent about 20 years as a civilian construction management engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers and served as vice president of a Florida-based road-paving and construction company.

He was born in Chase City, Va. He attended Fork Union Military Academy, then went to the University of Virginia before entering the Navy during World War II. After the war, he returned to U-Va. and completed a degree in civil engineering.

He belonged to a number of professional organizations, including the National Society of Professional Engineers.

He was a member of Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill in Alexandria and a volunteer in its adult education program called School for the Spirit.

Mr. Willis did volunteer work at Carpenter's Shelter in Alexandria, a facility for the homeless, and he served as a lay reader and vestry member of the Episcopal Church of St. Clement in Alexandria in the 1980s.

An avid reader, he organized Washington area book clubs and was a member of the Jane Austen Society of North America.

His marriage to Betsy Lawson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 14 years, Mary Ann Rehnke of Alexandria; a daughter from his first marriage, Mary Burton Coffey of Boone, N.C.; a sister; and two grandchildren.

Frank Twitty

Maintenance Worker

Frank Twitty, 61, who was a maintenance worker at the Connecticut Avenue Car Wash in Washington for about 10 years until 1989, died of cancer Jan. 10 at George Washington University Medical Center.

Mr. Twitty, who had lived in Washington since 1970, was a native of Wallace, N.C.

His marriage to Mamie Ann Franklin Twitty ended in divorce.

Survivors include three brothers, James Twitty of Washington, George Twitty and Donald Goldston both of Rose Hill, N.C.; and four sisters, Geraldine Cummings of Arlington, Marshall McNair of Rose Hill, N.C., and Mattie Tucker and Christine Ferguson both of Washington.

Mary `Mickey' Elizabeth Palmer Stice

Sales Rep and Volunteer

Mary "Mickey" Elizabeth Palmer Stice, 60, a former hair products sales representative who rescued stray cats and dogs in her native Alexandria, died of pulmonary disease Jan. 9 at a hospital in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

In 1998, Mrs. Stice moved to her companion's home in Myrtle Beach from Alexandria, where she had lived most of her life and attended George Washington High School. She worked occasionally in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily selling Roffler hair care products and taking reservations at a Marriott hotel.

Her interests included sewing, crafts, baking decorative cakes and helping unwanted pets.

Working in coordination with Animal Allies of Alexandria, she took into her home a number of stray cats and dogs, nursed them back to health and interviewed prospective owners.

She was a member of the International Order of Job's Daughters and a past Girl Scouts volunteer.

Her marriage to Virgil Eugene Stice ended in divorce.

Survivors include her companion of 15 years, Robert Burford of Alexandria and Myrtle Beach; three children, Stephen Scott Stice of Herndon and Deborah Stice Eversole and Kathy Stice Beach, both of Woodbridge; and four grandchildren.

Robert Morehead Cook

Army Colonel

Robert Morehead Cook, 80, an Army colonel who served in three wars and who retired in 1975 as an inspector general at the Pentagon, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 29 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Col. Cook, a native of Oxford, Miss., lived in Falls Church for 26 years before moving to the Marriott Lifecare Community of Fairfax in 1989.

A January 1943 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, he served in the 4th Armored Division during World War II and was seriously wounded while leading a tank attack in the Battle of the Bulge. After a hospital stay in England, he returned to Germany to join U.S. troops in Germany.

He commanded an infantry battalion in Korea during the Korean War and served as an inspector general during a tour in Vietnam during the war there. Between those two wars, he was assigned to the Central Army Group near Heidelberg, Germany.

His military decorations included the Legion of Merit, three Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.

He was past chairman of the resident council of the Marriott Lifecare Community and a member of military associations.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Ruth Cook of Fairfax.

Rodolfo James Rivas

Biology Professor

Rodolfo James Rivas, 40, an assistant biology professor at the University of Maryland since 1994, died of pancreatic cancer Jan. 11 at Montgomery Hospice Casey House. He lived in Silver Spring.

Dr. Rivas, a San Francisco native, spent the 1980s at the University of California at Berkeley, receiving his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in zoology. His specialty in the field was cell biology and endocrinology.

From 1988 to 1994, he did postdoctoral work at Columbia and Rockefeller universities.

At Maryland, Dr. Rivas received the Junior Faculty Excellence Award in 1998.

His publications included articles in the Journal of Comparative Neurology as well as Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton.

He was a member of the Society for Neuroscience and American Society for Cell Biology.

His hobbies included hiking and running.

Survivors include his wife of 12 years, Sharon Kay Powell of Silver Spring; two daughters, Lauren Powell Rivas and Catherine Elizabeth Rivas, both of Silver Spring; his mother, Maria Aida Rivas of San Francisco; and three sisters.

Jule Joyce


Jule Joyce, 81, who taught Latin at Bertie Backus Junior High School in Washington for about 20 years until 1980, died of pancreatic cancer Jan. 12 at her son's home in Bethesda. She lived in Bethesda and Ocean City, Md.

Mrs. Joyce, who came to the Washington area in the late 1950s, was a native of Scranton, Pa., where she graduated from Marywood College and attended the University of Scranton. She also taught at a high school in Scranton.

Her husband, Patrick C. Joyce, died in 1992, and a son, John Mullen Joyce, died in 1967.

Survivors include four children, Dr. Patrick Joyce and Julie Panaro, both of Bethesda, Maureen Gleysteen of Birmingham and Ryan Bequai of McLean; and eight grandchildren.

Michael J. Nisos

Aerospace Association Official

Michael J. Nisos, 77, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who was managing director of the Aerospace Education Foundation from 1967 to 1985, died of a lung disorder Jan. 4 at Bethesda Naval Medical Center. He lived in Bethesda.

Col. Nisos joined what was then the Army Air Corps during World War II and retired from the Air Force in 1967 after last being assigned as a military assistant to then-Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey. He was a bombardier, navigator and radar operator, and his awards include the Legion of Merit.

He was born in Hopewell, Va., and graduated in the late 1940s from what was then Sacramento State College in California. He received a master's degree in education from Catholic University in the early 1960s.

After leaving the aerospace association, Col. Nisos was a private consultant in management and education.

His marriage to Betty Nisos ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 15 years, Amalina "Poupee" Nisos of Bethesda; a son from his first marriage, John, of Kensington; a daughter from his first marriage, Elizabeth M. Nisos of Charlottesville; a stepson, Michael Vacca of Germantown; a stepdaughter, Amalia Vacca of Germantown; a sister, Mary Catakis of Chevy Chase; and three grandchildren.

Bernard William Kempers

Marketing Specialist

Bernard William Kempers, 90, who retired in 1972 after 37 years as a poultry marketing specialist with the Agriculture Department, died of lymphoma Jan. 11 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Kempers came to Washington in the early 1940s after assignments with the USDA in Illinois and Pennsylvania.

He was a native of Sioux City, Iowa, and a graduate of what is now Iowa State University of Science and Technology.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Marjorie Ellen Kempers of Silver Spring; four children, Mary Ellen Brehm of Charlottesville, Patricia Rose Coward of Scottsdale, Ariz., Judith Ann Jordan of Glenwood, Md., and Jane Suzanne Kosyjana of Sykesville, Md.; a brother; 11 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Ann DiGiulio Sullivan


Ann DiGiulio Sullivan, 79, a secretary who retired in 1983 after 32 years with the social services department at Catholic University, died Jan. 9 at her home in DeBary, Fla. She had a blood disorder and diabetes.

Mrs. Sullivan moved to Florida from Takoma Park 10 years ago. She was born in Aliquippa, Pa., and raised in Connellsville, Pa. She began her career in Washington in 1944, working at the main Washington post office.

She was a member of Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church in Takoma Park.

Her husband, John C. Sullivan, died in 1963.

Survivors include two daughters, Janet Lindsey of Beltsville and Rose Ann Jones of Prince Frederick; two sisters, Carmella DiGiulio of DeBary and Elizabeth Pompell of Waldorf; a brother, Henry DiGiulio of Pittsburgh; five grandchildren; and four great-grandsons.

Elizabeth Stone `Betty' Bassford


Elizabeth Stone "Betty" Bassford, 76, an accountant who retired in 1980 after about 10 years with the Fairfax County finance department, died Jan. 12 at Fairfax Hospital. She had a blood infection and heart ailment.

Mrs. Bassford, who lived in Vienna, was born in Arlington. She was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School and William and Franklin University. She served in the Marine Corps during World War II.

In the 1950s and 1960s, she was a bookkeeper for Dominion and Arlfax electric supply companies.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, Women's Marines Association and Oakton United Methodist Church.

Survivors include her husband of 51 years, Ralph I. Bassford of Vienna; a daughter, Kathleen Bassford of Westminster, Md.; a brother, James R. Stone Jr. of Cobbs Creek, Va.; and a grandson.

Thomas E. Bokan

Patent Examiner

Thomas E. Bokan, 67, a patent examiner who retired in 1989 after 22 years with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, died of a stroke Jan. 10 at Fair Oaks Hospital.

Mr. Bokan, who lived in Annandale, was a native of Toledo and a 1956 chemical engineering graduate of the University of Toledo.

He served in the Army Chemical Corps from 1957 to 1959 and was recalled to active duty during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

He was a member of and volunteer office worker at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Annandale. He was also active in the Boy Scouts and served as a Cub Scout leader.

Survivors include his wife of 30 years, Lauretta Bokan of Annandale; three children, Thomas M., Gregory J. and Stephen N. all of Annandale; two brothers; and two sisters.

Barbara Bacon McConnell

Teacher and Volunteer

Barbara Bacon McConnell, 94, a former New Jersey elementary school teacher who was a volunteer with the Women's National Democratic Club while living in Alexandria from 1958 to 1988, died of pneumonia Jan. 1 at a retirement home in Rancho Bernardo, Calif.

Mrs. McConnell, who lived in California since 1988, was born in Salt Lake City, and graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in economics in 1925.

She taught at an elementary school in Hillsborough, N.J., and moved to the Washington area upon the death of her husband, Philip S. McConnell, in 1958.

Survivors include three sons, Alan McConnell of Silver Spring, David McConnell of Novato, Calif., and Mark McConnell of Rancho Bernardo; and eight grandchildren.