Evelyn Collins McKee

Executive Secretary

Evelyn Collins McKee, 91, a former Alexandria resident who rose from entry-level office secretary to national executive secretary of the Navy League of the United States before retiring in 1985, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 13 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. McKee's career at the Navy League spanned more than four decades. She was a recipient of the Navy's Distinguished Public Service Award and an inductee of the Navy League's Hall of Fame.

Mrs. McKee, a Silver Spring resident for the past 10 years, was a native Washingtonian and a graduate of the old Academy of the Sacred Heart of Mary.

She was past president of the Ladies Board of St. Joseph's Home and School for Boys in Washington.

Her husband, Charles Robinson McKee, died in 1964.

There are no immediate survivors.

Hilma P. Kinnamont

Bindery Operator

Hilma P. Kinnamont, 95, an Upper Marlboro resident who was a retired book bindery machine operator for the Government Printing Office, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 12 at the Bradford Oaks Health Care Center in Clinton.

Mrs. Kinnamont, a former Washington and Hillcrest Heights resident, was a native of Oland, Sweden. She immigrated alone to the United States, disembarking at Ellis Island, N.Y., in 1920. In those early years, she worked as a domestic in New York.

In 1932, she came to Washington and began her career at the printing office. She worked in the stitching section doing bindery work until her retirement in 1973.

Her marriage to her first husband, Julius Sell, ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Robert Kinnamont, died in 1980.

Survivors include two daughters from her first marriage, Jean Connolly of Sterling and Gloria Sweeney of Upper Marlboro; five sisters; a brother; four grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and a great-great grandchild.

Willie Lois Laster


Willie Lois Laster, 67, a former seamstress and Hyattsville and Laurel resident, died of cancer Jan. 12 at her home in Slanesville, W.Va., where she had lived since 1985.

Mrs. Laster, a native of Pikesville, Ky., lived in the Washington area from 1950 to 1985. In the early 1950s, she worked at the food counter in a People's Drug store in Hyattsville. In the late 1970s, she was a seamstress for a uniform company in Laurel.

Her first husband, Cleveland E. Davis, died in 1974.

Survivors include her husband, Bill Laster of Slanesville; five children from her first marriage, Lois Ann Davis of Souderton, Pa., Shirley Sue Willis of Elkridge, Mary Jo Hart of Romney, W.Va., Ruby Mae Roach of Hagerstown, Md., and Willie E. Davis of Lanham; three sisters; three brothers; and seven grandchildren.

William E. Dresser

Publishing Center Manager

William E. Dresser, 65, a Chevy Chase resident who worked for the National Education Association for 20 years before retiring in 1991 as manager of its publishing center, died of vascular disease Dec. 26 at the Chevy Chase Manor Care.

Mr. Dresser, who lived in the Washington area since 1964, was born in Endicott, N.Y. He served in the Marine Corps from 1954 to 1958 and in the Air Force from 1958 to 1964.

Survivors include his companion of 33 years, William R. Stewart of Chevy Chase, and three sisters.

John D. Benn Jr.

Airline Pilot

John D. Benn Jr., 68, a commercial pilot who retired in 1991 after 40 years with USAir and its predecessor airlines, died of cerebral vascular disease Jan. 1 at his home in Alexandria.

Beyond flying, Mr. Benn was a partner in the real estate development of the old Washington-Virginia Airport at Baileys Crossroads, which his father had built and operated.

Born in Washington, Mr. Benn was raised in Arlington and graduated from Washington-Lee High School.

He was a student at George Washington University when he took a job with All American Airways in 1951.

He was a Mason and a member of the Air Line Pilots Association, the Annandale Rotary and the Kena Yacht Club.

His marriage to Mary F. Benn ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Diane S. Benn of Alexandria; three children from his first marriage, Julie F. Lee of Honolulu, Richard J. Benn of Great Falls and Barbara A. Benn of Falls Church; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Sister Judith Kearney Shanahan


Sister Judith Kearney Shanahan, 61, a Catholic nun who grew up in the Washington area and taught at Holy Redeemer Elementary School in College Park from 1966 to 1968, died of ovarian cancer Jan. 6 in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind., at the mother house of her order, the Sisters of Providence.

Dr. Shanahan, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., came to Washington in 1940 and graduated from Georgetown Visitation Prep School in 1956. She attended George Washington University before entering the Sisters of Providence in 1957.

She was a social studies graduate of St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, where she also received a master's degree in pastoral theology. She received a master's degree in education and a doctorate in social studies from the University of Washington.

In addition to teaching in College Park, she taught at Catholic schools in Indiana, Oregon and Oklahoma.

She also held teaching administrative posts in Indiana and Oklahoma and served her order as counselor and vicar.

Survivors include a brother, J. Kearney Shanahan of Cleveland, and a sister, Kathy Shanahan Butler of Bethesda.

Sarah Easton Carlson

Illustrator and Artist

Sarah Easton Carlson, 84, a former technical illustrator with the David Taylor Model Basin and a Washington area resident since 1946, died of a stroke Jan. 15 at Manor Care of Potomac.

Mrs. Carlson, a native of Springfield, Ohio, pursued an interest in painting, mainly with watercolors. She graduated from Wittenberg University in Ohio and studied at the Cincinnati Art Academy and the Pittsburgh Art Institute.

She worked at the Model Basin from 1960 to 1965, and from 1965 to 1967, she taught art in Kabul, Afghanistan, where her husband was a representative of the International Monetary Fund.

She was a member of the Pen Women Association and the Rockville Art League.

Her husband, Howard Carlson, died in 1993.

Survivors include two children, Lane Easton Carlson and Pamela Carlson Hammers, both of Bethesda; and two grandchildren.

Ronald Kirk Washington Sr.

Air Force Colonel

Ronald Kirk Washington Sr., 49, an Air Force colonel who retired in October as deputy director of the office of architectures, assessments and acquisitions, died of encephalitis Jan. 8 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He lived in Springfield.

Col. Washington, an electrical engineer by training, served 27 years in the Air Force, beginning in 1972 at the Air Force Strategic Air Command at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, Mont.

He was involved in spacecraft and launch vehicle test operations before transferring to the Pentagon in 1984.

Other assignments included the Air Force Systems Command Headquarters, Central Intelligence Agency and Defense Systems Management College.

A native of Birmingham, he graduated from Tuskegee University and received a master's degree in business administration from the University of Montana.

He was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi social fraternity.

Survivors include his wife, Sandra Harvey Washington; three children, Richea, Ronald Jr., and Robin, all of Springfield; four brothers; and a sister.

Florian C. Majorack

FDA Official

Florian C. Majorack, 84, a former Fairfax County resident who worked for the Food and Drug Administration for 17 years before retiring in 1985 as director of the quality assurance division, died of pneumonia Jan. 10 at the Sleepy Hollow Manor nursing home in Falls Church.

Professionally active, he was chairman of the Washington chapter of the International Food Technologists. He also was a member of St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church in Fairfax and chairman of its social action committee.

Mr. Majorack was a native of Pittsburgh, where he was a product tester for H.J. Heinz Co.

He served in the Army during World War II and in the Army Reserve for 28 years until retiring in 1965 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Mary McArdel Majorack of Annandale; two daughters, Margaret Majorack and Mary Majorack, both of Annandale; a sister; and a granddaughter.

Robert Roy Boersma

Agricultural Economist

Robert Roy Boersma, 67, an Agriculture Department agricultural economist for 42 years before retiring in 1997, died Jan. 9 at his home in Arlington. He had leukemia.

Mr. Boersma, a 36-year Arlington resident, came to the Washington area from his native Nebraska in 1955. He was a 1955 agricultural economics graduate of the University of Nebraska.

His wife of 37 years, the former Elizabeth Jean Strecker, died in 1997.

Survivors include two sons, John Lloyd Boersma of Falls Church and Roger Henry Boersma of Arlington; and a sister.