Officials in several New England states said yesterday they are reviewing scores of unsolved homicide and missing persons cases to determine if there might be any links to Hadden Clark, the Maryland man convicted of murdering two people in Montgomery County.

Clark, who earlier this month led investigators to the grave of 6-year-old Michele Dorr, told police here that he had "disposed" of the bodies of "several young women" in Massachusetts and Connecticut, prompting Maryland officials to take Clark to Cape Cod last Thursday, along with a prison inmate in whom he had confided.

Clark was brought back to Maryland on Monday and is being held at the Montgomery County Detention Center in Rockville indefinitely as a courtesy for the state Department of Corrections, officials said yesterday.

On Thursday, four Montgomery homicide detectives and a group of FBI and Massachusetts state police officials searched the former home of Clark's grandfather in Wellfleet, Mass., but found nothing.

A fierce winter snow storm forced investigators to scrub Friday's planned search, and Clark remained at the Barnstable County Jail until Sunday, when he was taken to an undisclosed town in central Connecticut to lead investigators to the spot where he claimed to have buried a young woman in her early twenties in the late 1970s or 1980s, an official said.

Lt. Ralph Carpenter, of the Connecticut State Police, refused to name the town where Clark told investigators he'd buried the woman, and he declined to reveal the unsolved cases to which detectives believe Clark can be linked.

Clark was in police custody in the state for less than five hours, Carpenter said, and the search produced nothing.

"We haven't linked what he's told us to any one case," Carpenter said.

In 1993, Clark pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of 23-year-old Laura Houghteling, and led police to her shallow grave near Interstate 270 and Old Georgetown Road, not far from her Bethesda home. He was later convicted and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Last October, Clark was sentenced to 30 years in the death of Michele Dorr, even though he consistently denied killing the Silver Spring girl. On Jan. 6, more than 13 1/2 years after Michele was reported missing, Clark led detectives to her grave site in the White Oak section of Silver Spring, sparking a flurry of interest among investigators along the Eastern Seaboard.

Sgt. David Kelley, assistant commander of major crimes at the New Hampshire State Police, said he has not been contacted by Maryland officials but has heard of possible links between Clark and unsolved homicides along the New Hampshire-Vermont border.

"There's been a lot of things going on with this name," said Kelley, adding he plans to run Clark's name through several files and data bases in search of a connections between several unsolved homicides and missing persons cases.

"We're curious, like everyone else in the New England region," he said.