Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout St. Mary's County.
Using information provided by the St. Mary's County Department of Planning and Zoning, and the Leonardtown Planning and Zoning Commission, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects that were processed by officials in December.
The planning offices' file numbers for each project are in brackets.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public hearings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Building Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
1. HEAD OF THE BAY, SECTION 2, Pin Cushion Road, north of Route 234. A plan to subdivide 281 acres for five farmsteads and nine single-family houses. [99-1271]
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
2. McKAY'S PLAZA, Lexwood Drive, near the intersection of Route 246 and Mattapani Boulevard. A standard site plan for construction of a 1,767-square-foot fuel canopy on 11.02 acres. [99-2541]
3. CRESTAR BANK AT FIRST COLONY, Route 235 east of Route 4. A standard site plan for construction of a 2,949-square-foot bank on 0.87 acres. [99-2436]
4. STAPLES OFFICE SUPPLY AT FIRST COLONY, Route 235 east of Route 4. A site plan for a retail store on 2.6 acres. [99-2532]
5. CHESELDINE, Route 235 a little north of Route 4. A permit for a 2,633-square-foot addition to an existing auto service center, on 1.17 acres. [98-2253]
6. CHICK-FIL-A, Route 235. A permit for construction of a 4,211-square-foot restaurant on 1.44 acres. [99-1536]
7. AMERICAN TOWER, Chaptico Hill Lane just past Mechanicsville Road. A permit for construction of a communication tower on 205 acres. [99-1439]