Marian Storrey Schravesande

Remedial Tutor

Marian Storrey Schravesande, 92, a remedial tutor at the Kingsbury Center in Washington in the 1950s and '60s, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 10 at Manor Care of Potomac nursing home. She lived in Potomac since 1971.

Mrs. Schravesande was born in Colorado Springs and raised in Albion, Mich. She graduated from the University of Michigan in 1927, then taught high school English in Detroit before moving to Washington in 1930.

Her husband, John Schravesande, died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Marian D. Schravesande of Potomac and Martha K. Schravesande of Laurel.

Walter S. Evans

Navy Department Lawyer

Walter S. Evans, 83, a retired lawyer for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 22 at Brighton Garden Assisted Living Center in Arlington. He had lived in Arlington for more than 50 years.

Mr. Evans had worked 34 years for the Navy Department, beginning in 1947 as a contracts specialist attorney. By the time he retired in 1981, he was deputy assistant commander for contracts for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command.

His honors included the Navy Department Superior Civilian Service Award.

Mr. Evans, a Washington native, graduated from Roosevelt High School and Georgetown University and its law school. In World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He also had served in the Naval Reserve.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Ethel McCarthy Evans of Arlington; four sons, Charles M. "Tuck" Evans of San Rafael, Calif., Robelee Evans of Days Creek, Ore., Daniel M. Evans of San Bruno, Calif., and David S. Evans of Great Falls; four daughters, Kathleen Evans DeMik of Kingsport, Tenn., Candace E. Evans of Fairfax, Ellen M. Evans of Alexandria and Malinda A. Evans of Glendale, Ariz.; and nine grandchildren.

Ellen Moroney Liewer

Marine Corps Officer

Ellen Moroney Liewer, 70, a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps who retired in 1982 after 26 years of service, died Jan. 20 at her home in Arlington. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

At the end of her career, she had a staff assignment at Marine Corps headquarters in Arlington that involved the conversion of written records to computer format. Earlier, she was commanding officer of a Women's Marine Corps company at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

She was a native of Pleasantville, N.Y., and a 1950 graduate of what is now Ohio Dominican College in Columbus.

She was a member of the West Point Class of 1945 Officers' Wives Club.

Survivors include her husband, retired Army Col. Karl Liewer of Arlington; and two sisters.

Linwood Harrell

Police Officer

Linwood Harrell, 68, a former Washington Metropolitan police officer and Secret Service sergeant who headed security for the philanthropist and collector Paul Mellon, died Jan. 20 at Southern Maryland Hospital after a heart attack.

He was Mellon's chief of security for 19 years before retiring in 1994.

Mr. Harrell, who lived in Fort Washington, was a native of Watha, N.C., and a Washington area resident since 1950. A carpenter earlier in his life, he built homes in Prince George's County before switching careers, though he never lost his interest in carpentry.

He received an associate's degree in law enforcement from American University and served in the Metropolitan Police Department from 1957 to 1967. Then he worked seven years for the Secret Service Uniformed Division, where among other things he was a firearms instructor at its training academy in Beltsville.

He was a deacon, Sunday school teacher and committee member of Whitehall Baptist Church in Accokeek and a member of the Association of Retired Police Officers of D.C. Inc., and the U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division Retirement Association. He also was a Mason and a member of the Naval Lodge No. 4. in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Elvis "Boots" Harrell of Fort Washington; four children, Helen Barfield of Herndon, Teresa Swingle of Woodbridge, Judy Wallenfelt of Waldorf and Brenda Harrell of Oakton; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Donald Ivan Abbott

Army Captain, Defense Official

Donald Ivan Abbott, 76, a retired Army captain who had a civilian career with the Defense Mapping Agency, died Jan. 15 at Bethesda Naval Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Kensington.

Capt. Abbott, who was born in in Belpre, Ohio, served 20 years in the Army, beginning with the infantry in Europe at the start of World War II. He served with the occupation forces in Germany after the war and did two tours of duty in Korea during the war there.

His military honors include the Bronze Star.

He served on the staff of Airborne headquarters in Fort Bragg, N.C., when he retired from the military in 1962 and moved to Washington to join the Defense Mapping Agency.

After 19 years with the agency, he retired in 1981 as director of communications and administration.

He was a 1965 business graduate of the University of Maryland.

He was a Mason and a member of Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda and the Metropolitan Washington Soccer Referees Association.

Survivors include his wife, Anne J. Abbott of Kensington; four children, Raymond T. Abbott of Ridgewood, N.J., Donna Abbott Hunter of Silver Spring, Ivan Dale Abbott of Olney and Linda A. Casey of Boston; his mother, Ila Abbott Ingold of Arden, N.C.; a sister; and 10 grandchildren.