Trucker Arrested After Cocaine Is Found

An interstate truck driver who was moving 30,000 pounds of tomatoes from Arizona to New York City was arrested over the weekend after Virginia State Police found eight pounds of cocaine in his tractor-trailer.

Police stopped George Lynch, 59, of Jersey City, as he crossed into Prince William County on eastbound Interstate 66 about 8:45 p.m. Saturday. Lynch, who police said was driving well over the speed limit, presented a stolen driver's license. A state police drug dog subsequently located the cocaine--estimated to be worth $100,000--in the cab of the rig.

Lynch was charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and other offenses. He is being held at the Prince William jail in lieu of $126,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court April 26.

Hearing Set in Spotsylvania Slaying

Two Caroline County residents, who were arrested on murder and robbery charges over the weekend after police discovered them driving in the Lorton area with a dead man in their trunk, face a preliminary hearing Feb. 15 in Spotsylvania County District Court, court officials said yesterday.

Teresa M. Haynes, 32, and William T. Hayes Jr., 27, were charged with killing Lawrence Matthew Kersey IV, 21, of Caroline County. They are being held without bond at the Rappahannock Regional Jail.

Fairfax County police arrested Haynes and Hayes on Saturday in the 9400 block of Gunston Cove Road, minutes after receiving a tip that the couple were headed to Fairfax with a body in the car.

Investigators have determined that the slaying took place in Spotsylvania County, and officials there have taken over the case.

Spotsylvania police were awaiting results of an autopsy yesterday, said Maj. Howard Smith, a sheriff's department spokesman.


Sexual Assault Alleged at Naval Academy

U.S. Naval Academy officials and Navy civilian detectives are investigating allegations by a female student that she was sexually assaulted by a male student this month.

Academy officials would not give any details except to say that the alleged incident happened Jan. 7 in a dormitory at the Annapolis military college.

No charges have been filed, officials said.

Ex-Marriott Official Sentenced for Fraud

A federal judge in Greenbelt yesterday sentenced a former Marriott executive who stole more than $500,000 from the company to two years in prison without parole, Maryland U.S. Attorney Lynne A. Battaglia announced.

Peter W. Anderson, 39, who was a 19-year Marriott employee until he was charged in the case last year, pleaded guilty recently to five counts of mail fraud and was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Alexander Williams Jr., officials said.

According to Battaglia, Anderson worked as a Marriott supervisor in charge of paying commissions to travel agencies for providing referrals of customers to its hotel chain.

Prosecutors say Anderson invented a travel agency with bogus customers and confirmation numbers. Prosecutors said Anderson entered the names of bogus customers into the company computer, indicating they had stayed at a Marriott. The company would issue a check to the fictitious travel agency. Most of the checks were sent to a post office box used by Anderson.

From 1995 to April 1999, the company issued checks for more than $505,000, prosecutors said. Anderson's theft was uncovered during a computer software upgrade.

Anderson used much of the money to renovate his home in Monrovia, in Frederick County, prosecutors said. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service seized the home and sold it, with the proceeds going to Marriott. In addition, Anderson has agreed to turn over the money in his pension plan to the corporation to repay part of what he stole, prosecutors said. In all, the company would receive at least $210,000 in restitution before Anderson begins serving his sentence; the judge ordered him to repay the rest of what he owes, as well as a $10,000 fine.