Marion M. Farr

USDA Scientist

Marion M. Farr, 97, an Agriculture Department scientist from 1934 to 1965 who specialized in controlling infectious diseases in poultry, died Jan. 18 at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg after a stroke. She lived at Asbury for the last 25 years.

After retiring, she spent about five years traveling around the world studying ticks as a researcher at the University of Maryland.

Ms. Farr was born in Chautauqua, N.Y., and graduated in the 1920s from Syracuse University with a bachelor's degree in biology and a master's degree in parasitology.

She taught at Vassar College and at New York state high schools before coming to Washington in the early 1930s to work at the Public Health Service.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Francis Gaines Blasdel

Navy Captain

Francis Gaines Blasdel, 83, a retired Navy captain and telecommunications and satellite engineer who had been president of Virginia Electronics Co. since 1967, died of a lung ailment Jan. 18 at Montgomery General Hospital. He lived in Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Capt. Blasdel was a native of Washington who attended Western High School and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. He received a master's degree in electronic engineering from the Naval Postgraduate School and attended the Naval War College.

During World War II, he served on ships in the Pacific and survived the bombing of the Marblehead in 1942.

He was assigned to Guam after the war and worked on the design of radio and satellite communications systems. He retired in 1957 as assistant director of the electronics and design division of the Bureau of Ships.

Until 1961, he was staff engineer for Navy projects with Raytheon Corp. He worked on the Navy satellite communications project for Deco Electronics until 1967.

His honors included a Silver Star.

In Leisure World, he was technical director of the Amateur Radio Club and a member of the Fun and Fancy theater group and the Rossmoor Kiwanis Club. He was a member of the Institute of Radio Engineers, Naval Academy and Naval War College Alumni associations and Army Navy Country Club.

His marriage to Phyllis Blasdel ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Ann J. Blasdel of Leisure World; three children from his first marriage, Dr. Barbara Blasdel of San Francisco, Robert Blasdel of Herndon and William Blasdel of Catonsville, Md.; two stepdaughters, Patricia Jackson of Alexandria and Deborah Durland of Dryden, N.Y.; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Frankie Bradley


Frankie Bradley, 83, a teacher at Northern Virginia schools from the 1950s to 1970s, died of a heart ailment Jan. 22 at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C. She moved from Fairfax to Wilmington in 1996.

From the 1950s to mid-1960s, Mrs. Bradley taught at Boulevard Baptist School in Falls Church and Oakridge Elementary School in Arlington. She then worked at Woodburn Elementary School in Fairfax and retired in 1978 from Glasgow Middle School in Alexandria after a decade teaching art.

She was born in Christiansburg, Va., and was a homemaker while she took college courses at night. During the 1960s, she received bachelor's and master's degrees in education from George Washington University.

Her memberships included Alpha Delta Kappa sorority for women educators and Trinity Episcopal Church in Arlington.

Her marriages to Roy Ring White and Ralph Ramsey ended in divorce. Her third husband, McCoy Bradley, died in 1985.

Survivors include a son from the second marriage, Ralph Bradley of Scottsville, Va.; two children from the third marriage, Donald Bradley of Atlanta, and Ellen Bradley Willis of Wilmington, N.C.; a brother, Lynn Simmons of Head Waters, Va.; four sisters, Noblin Patton of Melbourne, Fla., Betty Beatty of McLean and Charleston, S.C., and Marie Hale and Ruth Bishop, both of Fairfax; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. A daughter from the first marriage, Anne Hall White, died in 1961.

Richard Louis Bunoski

FDA Official

Richard Louis Bunoski, 71, a retired Food and Drug Administration official who spent the last few years of his career investigating Social Security fraud for the Health and Human Services Department, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 16 at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Bunoski, a former elementary school teacher and Army Reserve officer, began his FDA career in 1964 as a planning officer in the office of the commissioner.

In later years, he was a special assistant for policy review in the FDA's Consumer Protection and Environmental Health Service, deputy director of the policy management staff, and assistant to the commissioner for administration at FDA with responsibility for safeguarding trade secrets and privileged industry information.

By the early 1980s, he was detailed to the HHS inspector general's office and assigned to a computer matching project comparing death records to Social Security rolls. After retiring in 1984, he taught classes in stained-glass craftsmanship at Anne Arundel Community College and tax preparation at the Pascal Senior Center in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Bunoski, who lived in Glen Burnie for 46 years, was born in Pringle, Pa. He served in the Army during World War II and with the military police in Japan and Korea before his discharge in 1948.

He graduated from King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and served in the Army Reserve as a criminal investigator.

His honors included the FDA's Commendable Service Award.

Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Joanne Bunoski of Glen Burnie; three children, David Bunoski of Washington, Steven Bunoski of Severna Park and Lissa LeVine of Baldwin; a sister; and seven grandchildren.

Walter S. Evans

Navy Department Lawyer

Walter S. Evans, 83, a retired lawyer for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 22 at Brighton Garden Assisted Living Center in Arlington. He had lived in Arlington for more than 50 years.

Mr. Evans had worked 34 years for the Navy Department, beginning in 1947 as a contracts specialist attorney. By the time he retired in 1981, he was deputy assistant commander for contracts for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command.

His honors included the Navy Department Superior Civilian Service Award.

Mr. Evans, a Washington native, graduated from Roosevelt High School and Georgetown University and its law school. In World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He also had served in the Naval Reserve.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Ethel McCarthy Evans of Arlington; four sons, Charles M. "Tuck" Evans of San Rafael, Calif., Robelee Evans of Days Creek, Ore., Daniel M. Evans of San Bruno, Calif., and David S. Evans of Great Falls; four daughters, Kathleen Evans DeMik of Kingsport, Tenn., Candace E. Evans of Fairfax, Ellen M. Evans of Alexandria and Malinda A. Evans of Glendale, Ariz.; and nine grandchildren.

Linwood Harrell

Police Officer

Linwood Harrell, 68, a former Washington Metropolitan police officer and Secret Service sergeant who headed security for the philanthropist and collector Paul Mellon, died Jan. 20 at Southern Maryland Hospital after a heart attack.

He was Mellon's chief of security for 19 years before retiring in 1994.

Mr. Harrell, who lived in Fort Washington, was a native of Watha, N.C., and a Washington area resident since 1950. A carpenter earlier in his life, he built homes in Prince George's County before switching careers, though he never lost his interest in carpentry.

He received an associate's degree in law enforcement from American University and served in the Metropolitan Police Department from 1957 to 1967. Then he worked seven years for the Secret Service Uniformed Division, where among other things he was a firearms instructor at its training academy in Beltsville.

He was a deacon, Sunday school teacher and committee member of Whitehall Baptist Church in Accokeek and a member of the Association of Retired Police Officers of D.C. Inc., and the U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division Retirement Association. He also was a Mason and a member of the Naval Lodge No. 4. in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Elvis "Boots" Harrell of Fort Washington; four children, Helen Barfield of Herndon, Teresa Swingle of Woodbridge, Judy Wallenfelt of Waldorf and Brenda Harrell of Oakton; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Charles Woodrow Howard

Bookkeeper and Mason

Charles Woodrow Howard, 87, a self-employed bookkeeper who was active in Masonic organizations, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 18 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Howard, a Fairfax resident since 1935, was a native of Crisfield, Md., and a World War II Army veteran.

His activities with the Masons included serving as past master of Columbia Lodge No. 3 in Washington, an associate guardian of Bethel No. 10 of the International Order of Job's Daughters, and past patron of the Trinity Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

He was a member of Springfield Baptist Church and its choir.

His wife, Dorotha M. Howard, died in 1996.

Survivors include a daughter, P.J. Condray of Crystal River, Fla.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Donald Ivan Abbott

Army Captain, Defense Official

Donald Ivan Abbott, 76, a retired Army captain who had a civilian career with the Defense Mapping Agency, died Jan. 15 at Bethesda Naval Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Kensington.

Capt. Abbott, who was born in in Belpre, Ohio, served 20 years in the Army, beginning with the infantry in Europe at the start of World War II. He served with the occupation forces in Germany after the war and did two tours of duty in Korea during the war there.

His military honors include the Bronze Star.

He served on the staff of Airborne headquarters in Fort Bragg, N.C., when he retired from the military in 1962 and moved to Washington to join the Defense Mapping Agency.

After 19 years with the agency, he retired in 1981 as director of communications and administration.

He was a 1965 business graduate of the University of Maryland.

He was a Mason and a member of Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda and the Metropolitan Washington Soccer Referees Association.

Survivors include his wife, Anne J. Abbott of Kensington; four children, Raymond T. Abbott of Ridgewood, N.J., Donna Abbott Hunter of Silver Spring, Ivan Dale Abbott of Olney and Linda A. Casey of Boston; his mother, Ila Abbott Ingold of Arden, N.C.; a sister; and 10 grandchildren.

Ellen Moroney Liewer

Marine Corps Officer

Ellen Moroney Liewer, 70, a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps who retired in 1982 after 26 years of service, died Jan. 20 at her home in Arlington. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

At the end of her career, she had a staff assignment at Marine Corps headquarters in Arlington that involved the conversion of written records to computer format. Earlier, she was commanding officer of a Women's Marine Corps company at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

She was a native of Pleasantville, N.Y., and a 1950 graduate of what is now Ohio Dominican College in Columbus.

She was a member of the West Point Class of 1945 Officers' Wives Club.

Survivors include her husband, retired Army Col. Karl Liewer of Arlington; and two sisters.

Alice G. Senti


Alice G. Senti, 85, a retired Smithsonian gift shop manager who had done volunteer work at Arlington Hospital from 1982 to 1996, died Jan. 22 at Inova Fairfax Hospital after surgery for a heart ailment. She lived in Arlington.

She had gone to work at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in 1965 and was shop manager from 1970 until retiring in 1973.

Mrs. Senti, a native of Kansas, was a 1939 graduate of Kansas State University.

Before coming to the Washington area in 1965, she had taught elementary school in Peoria, Ill., for nine years.

She was a member of the McLean Antiques Society and the Crystal Springs Study Club in Arlington.

Survivors include her husband of 60 years, Frederic R., of Arlington; a son, Neal C., of Washington, Ill.; two daughters, Nancy S. Kettelle of Arlington and Patricia S. Arens of Chesterfield, Mo.; a brother; a sister; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Joseph M. Cameron

Bureau of Standards Official

Joseph M. Cameron, 77, who spent 30 years at what was the National Bureau of Standards and retired in 1977 as chief of its measurement services office, died of cancer Jan. 23 at Randolph Hills Nursing Home in Wheaton.

Mr. Cameron, a Wheaton resident, was a consultant to the American Association for the Advancement of Science from 1977 to 1989. He also had been a fellow there and at the American Statistical Association.

Mr. Cameron, a Pennsylvania native, was a graduate of the University of Akron in Ohio and received a master's degree in mathematics and statistics from North Carolina State University. During World War II, he was with the Army Air Corps in Africa and the Middle East.

His awards include a Commerce Department Gold Medal in 1963.

His memberships included Calvary Lutheran Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Violet Weninger Cameron of Wheaton; four sons, David, of Edgewater, Bruce, of Sparta, Ill., Keith, of Mahomet, Ill., and Philip, of Broomfield, Colo.; and 11 grandchildren.

Marian Storrey Schravesande

Remedial Tutor

Marian Storrey Schravesande, 92, a remedial tutor at the Kingsbury Center in Washington in the 1950s and '60s, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 10 at Manor Care of Potomac nursing home. She lived in Potomac since 1971.

Mrs. Schravesande was born in Colorado Springs and raised in Albion, Mich. She graduated from the University of Michigan in 1927, then taught high school English in Detroit before moving to Washington in 1930.

Her husband, John Schravesande, died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Marian D. Schravesande of Potomac and Martha K. Schravesande of Laurel.

Tom Evans

Navy CPO and Zoo Worker

Tom Evans, 64, a retired Navy chief petty officer who did first-aid work with National Zoo visitors from 1973 to 1976, died Jan. 20 at his home in Washington. He had hypertension.

Mr. Evans, who settled in the Washington area in 1972, was a Chicago native. He entered the Navy in 1952 and served as a hospital corpsman. He spent two tours of duty in Vietnam and was stationed at Bethesda Naval hospital when he retired from active duty in 1973.

His marriage to Rosemary Evans ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Pat, of Washington; two children from his first marriage, Nora Catugno of Venetia, Pa., and Lydia Bakfajian of Great Neck, N.Y.; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Sister Thomas Marie Brice

Benedictine Nun

Sister Thomas Marie Brice, 73, a Benedictine nun who had taught at Catholic schools in the District and Arlington after coming to the Washington area in 1987, died of cancer Jan. 10 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

She taught at St. Gertrude's School, a Washington facility operated by the Benedictine Sisters for learning-disabled children, from 1987 to 1991. She then spent about a year on the faculty of St. Coletta's School in Arlington, where she again worked with the learning-impaired. In the early and mid-1990s, she taught catechism as part of the parish ministry at St. Thomas Moore Cathedral in Arlington.

Sister Thomas, who was born in Wheeling, W.Va., entered the order of St. Benedict, St. Scholastica Monastery in Duluth, Minn., as a postulant in 1953 and was admitted to the novitiate the following year. She was an elementary education graduate of the College of St. Scholastica and received a master's degree in theology from St. John's University, both in Minnesota. Before coming to Washington, she had taught at Catholic schools in the Midwest.

Survivors include two brothers, Edward Brice of Arlington and Father Donald Brice of Washington; and four sisters, Rosaline Bryson of Tupelo, Miss., Manell Brice of Arlington and Helen Johnson and Margaret Kennedy, both of Annandale.