Paul Cooper

D.C. Store Owner

Paul Cooper, 82, the owner from 1966 to 1999 of Skyland Liquors in Anacostia, died of brain cancer Jan. 23 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Cooper was born in Atlantic City and moved to the Washington area about 1950. He co-owned the Capital Equipment Co., a restaurant equipment and design business, until starting Skyland.

His hobby was procuring all kinds of owl collectibles made of porcelain, bronze and other materials. His collection of about 800 owls was donated to Temple University because of its owl mascot.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Doris Cooper of Rockville; a son, Steven Martin Cooper of North Potomac; a daughter, Cherry Cooper Goldblatt of Potomac; and seven grandchildren.

Jackson Nicholas Krill

Secret Service Official

Jackson Nicholas Krill, 90, an assistant Secret Service director from 1967 until his retirement in 1974, died of pneumonia Jan. 20 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Krill managed a savings and loan in his native Joplin, Mo., before joining the Treasury Department in 1937. His assignments included heading the offices in St. Louis and Philadelphia before coming to Washington in 1955. He was chief inspector in Washington in the mid-1960s.

He helped write the Warren Commission report, and his awards included the Treasury Department's Meritorious Service Award in 1964 and the Albert Gallatin Award for Public Service in 1974.

He was past executive secretary of the Downtown Kiwanis Club and past president of the board of trustees at Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, both in Washington. His other memberships included the Masons and Columbia Country Club in Chevy Chase.

During World War II, he was an officer in the Office of Naval Intelligence.

Mr. Krill attended Rockhurst College in Missouri and the University of Arizona.

Survivors include his wife of 66 years, Mae Morgans Krill of Bethesda; two daughters, Judith Krill White of Montgomery Village and Karen Krill Walker of Atlanta; and five grandchildren.

Albert D. Misler


Albert D. Misler, 90, who began working at the Labor Department in the 1930s and retired as deputy solicitor in 1966, died Jan. 10 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

From 1966 to 1994, he practiced immigration law at what became Friedlander, Misler, Friedlander, Sloan and Herz in Washington.

He was born in Baltimore and graduated from Columbia University in 1931 and Southeastern University law school in 1935. He received an honorary doctorate from Brandeis University in 1987.

During World War II, he worked for the War Manpower Commission.

He helped found the Albert D. and Helen Misler Senior Day Care Center at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Helen Eisenstein Misler of Washington; and three sisters, Eva Konzak of Baltimore and Sarah Levy and Ida Thorner, both of Silver Spring.

Homoiselle P. Harrison


Homoiselle P. Harrison, 87, a former teacher of remedial reading at the District of Columbia's Cedar Knoll facility for delinquents, died of pneumonia Jan. 18 at D.C. General Hospital.

Mrs. Harrison, who was born in Galveston, Tex., had lived in Washington since childhood. She graduated from Dunbar High School and Miner Teachers' College.

She retired from Cedar Knoll in the 1970s after teaching there for 15 years. Earlier, she had worked for 20 years at the Census Bureau, where she was a supervisor of statisticians.

In retirement she was a docent at the Smithsonian Institution. She was a member of the Bahai faith.

Her husband, Herbert A. Harrison, died eight years ago.

Survivors include one son, Anthony P. Harrison of Washington, and two grandchildren.

Julia Matheson Guy

Board Member

Julia Matheson Guy, 87, who served on the women's board of Columbia Hospital for Women, died of sepsis Jan. 21 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had lived in Washington for much of her life.

Mrs. Guy was born in Miami and raised in Gloucester County, Va., and Alexandria. She attended Sidwell Friends School and Mount Vernon Seminary.

She was a member in Washington of the National Society of Colonial Dames, St. Alban's and St. David's Episcopal churches and the Perennial Garden, Sulgrave and Chevy Chase clubs.

Her marriage to William P. Arnold ended in divorce, and her second husband, Benjamin W. Guy II, died in 1987.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Julie Arnold of Purcellville; a son from her second marriage, Benjamin W. Guy III of Westport Point, Mass.; a brother, Malcolm Matheson Jr. of Alexandria; a sister, Margaret M. Randolph of Richmond; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Catherine Denikos Spanos

Church Member

Catherine Denikos Spanos, 80, a homemaker and member of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Washington, died Jan. 23 of complications from a stroke at Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Spanos was born in Greece and moved to the Washington area with her family when she was 1. She attended the old Central High School.

Her husband of 45 years, Anthony G. Spanos, died in 1988.

Survivors include a son, George A. Spanos of Arlington; two daughters, Sevasti Johnson of Chicago and Lucia Kennedy of York, Pa.; a brother, William James Denikos of Laurel; three grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Flora Caporiccio Fedeli


Flora Caporiccio Fedeli, 92, who operated the Mills Gift Shop at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW from the late 1950s to the early 1970s and headed the stationery department of the Washington Lord & Taylor store until the 1980s, died Jan. 18 at her Chevy Chase home. She had dementia.

Mrs. Fedeli was a native of Philadelphia who attended Strayer University. She was a civilian air observer during World War II. In 1953, she was a secretary at the National Science Foundation.

She was a member of the Catholic Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda.

Survivors include her husband, William J. Fedeli of Chevy Chase, a sister and a brother.

Michael L. Armintrout

Navy Officer

Michael L. Armintrout, 55, a retired Navy lieutenant commander who was director of international business development at Litton Ingalls Shipbuilding, died of pancreatic cancer Jan. 24 at Loudoun Hospital. He lived in Ashburn.

He was a native of Kansas City, Mo., and a graduate of Northwest Missouri State University, the Naval War College and the Armed Forces Staff College. He received a master's degree in business administration from Marymount University.

He served in the Navy from 1966 to 1986 as a ship operations officer. He was posted to Greece and Italy.

After he retired, he did sales work for the Contraves and FMC ship building companies.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Dorene Armintrout of Ashburn; two daughters, Jennifer Chapman of Fairfax and Mandy Armintrout of Ashburn; his mother, Florence Armintrout of Kansas City; four brothers; and a granddaughter.