Official Charged in Child Porn Sting

Arlington County's deputy treasurer for compliance was charged yesterday with possessing child pornography as part of a U.S. Customs Service sting.

According to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Paul James Forte, 53, visited a Web site run by undercover customs agents and requested a pornography catalogue last fall. In December, Forte ordered a CD-ROM and videotape of sex between girls and asked that they be sent to a Mailboxes Etc. across the street from the Arlington County Government Center, the affidavit said.

Forte was arrested when he picked up the videotape yesterday afternoon, the affidavit said. He was released on a personal recognizance.

Man Wounded in Police Shootout Charged

A Fairfax man wounded in an exchange of gunfire with police Monday night was charged yesterday with felony assault on a police officer.

Police went to a town house in the 3000 block of Southern Elm Court because they believed that Keith B. Davis, 60, intended to commit suicide, according to a search warrant affidavit filed yesterday.

According to police, a tactical officer tried to persuade Davis to come outside. But Davis spotted another officer hiding and ran inside, police said. As officers pursued, Davis aimed a pistol at them and fired twice. One of the officers then fired and wounded Davis in the face, the affidavit states. Davis is listed in fair condition at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

The officers were cleared of wrongdoing, Officer Tom Harrington said.


Guilty Plea in Attack at Halfway House

An Oxon Hill man pleaded guilty yesterday to assault with a dangerous weapon in a butcher knife attack on a correctional officer at a federal halfway house in Southeast Washington, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Prosecutors said Michael Mead, 24, of the 600 block of Audrey Lane, entered his plea in Superior Court in the Christmas morning attack at Hope Village Correctional Facility in the 2900 block of Langston Place. Prosecutors said Mead, who was completing a drug sentence, had been released to the halfway house and been placed on home confinement. Sentencing is scheduled on April 28.

The officer was cut more than 20 times along her face, neck and head, and also suffered serious hand injuries, prosecutors said.

Cabdriver Shot in April Dies in Hospital

A cabdriver who was shot several times in the upper body in an apparent robbery attempt in April died yesterday, D.C. police said.

No arrests have been made since the shooting of Rufus Mitchell, who was 71 at the time. Mitchell died at Arlington Hospital. The cause of his death was not immediately known, said police spokesman Joe Gentile.

Police believe that Mitchell, who drove for ABC Cab Co., was shot shortly after he stopped to drop off a fare near 14th Place and Howard Road SE. Witnesses told police that a young man ran into an alley, away from the shooting scene, seconds after shots were fired. The suspect was described as a black youth with a medium brown complexion, 16 to 18 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and 150 pounds.


Liquor Store Clerk Shot to Death

A shop clerk was shot to death early yesterday after he answered the door of a Fairmount Heights liquor store that was closed for the night, Prince George's County police said.

Joseph Franklin Savoy, 46, of the 5500 block of Livingston Terrace in Oxon Hill, was shot in the upper body about 2:20 a.m. at Jack's Restaurant and Liquors in the 5300 block of Sheriff Road, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators said a man tapped on the locked front door of the liquor store and shot Savoy when he opened it. An off-duty county police officer who was also inside fired at the gunman, who fled in a black, late-model Nissan 240SX, police said. It was unclear if the gunman was wounded, police said.