Charles S. Rogers

Sales Manager

Charles S. Rogers, 90, a retired heating and air conditioning company sales manager and former Falls Church and Silver Spring resident, died of a stroke Jan. 5 at a hospital in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Mr. Rogers was a native of Lennox, Mass., and an engineering graduate of Tufts University. He came to Washington after serving in the Navy during World War II and spent about 20 years with the Stuart Petroleum Co., first as a general manager of oil plants and later as a sales manager.

In the mid-1960s, he left Stuart to work for Washington area heating and air conditioning companies, including Griffith Consumers and United Bryant. He retired in 1976 and moved to Daytona Beach in 1988.

He was a volunteer for the American Lung Association, past president of a Kiwanis International Chapter and a member of Kapitol Klowns and Clowns International.

His first wife, Margaret "Peggy" Rogers, died in 1985.

Survivors include his wife, Arlene Rogers of Daytona Beach; a daughter from his first marriage, Betsy Sayamongkhun of Laurel; and three grandchildren.

Edith Ethel Coombs Geiger Adams


Edith Ethel Coombs Geiger Adams, 88, a Washington native and retired legal secretary, died of kidney failure Jan. 22 at a nursing home in Port Charlotte, Fla. She moved from Falls Church to Florida in 1979.

In the last decade of her 34-year career, Mrs. Adams was secretary to D.C. Superior Court Judge DeWitt Hyde. Earlier, she worked for the Langley Cooperative School, two law firms and the National Science Foundation.

Mrs. Adams was a native of Washington and a graduate of Western High School. She attended George Washington University.

Her first husband, Henry R. Geiger, died in 1964, and her second husband, George Valentine Adams, died in 1983.

Survivors include four children from her first marriage, Carol G. Bruce of Arlington, Susan G. Hall of Sugar Grove, W.Va., Anne C. Hamilton of Friday Harbor, Wash., and Kenneth S. Geiger of Vancouver, Wash.; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Abol Fazl Fotouhi

USIA Official

Abol Fazl Fotouhi, 82, who served with the State Department from 1947 to 1974 and retired as a program officer with the U.S. Information Agency, died of a heart ailment Jan. 10 at Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Fort Washington.

Mr. Fotouhi was born in Iran, moved to the United States in 1933 and became a U.S. citizen in 1943. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific theater.

He graduated from George Washington University in 1951, and his assignments at State during the next two decades included time with the Voice of America and as a public affairs officer in such places as Japan, Brazil and Pakistan.

His memberships included the Rotary Club.

His first wife, Agnes Fotouhi, died in 1987.

Survivors include his wife of 11 years, Janice Fotouhi, of Fort Washington; a daughter from his first marriage, Farida-Mehri Elizabeth Fotouhi of Los Angeles; two step-daughters, Pamela J. Brady of Arlington and Janice Marie Bradley of Camp Springs; five brothers; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Myra Louise Johnson

Political Analyst

Myra Louise Johnson, 83, a political analyst who retired in 1975 after 25 years in the United States and abroad with the Central Intelligence Agency, died of pneumonia Jan. 5 at Heritage Hall in Leesburg. She had dementia.

She was a native of Richford, N.Y., who attended St. Lawrence University.

Ms. Johnson began her career in Washington before World War II, as a secretary at Westinghouse Corp. She was a secretary and research clerk for the Army in Germany before joining the CIA. Her postings included Korea, Afghanistan, Nepal and Brazil.

After she retired, she was a volunteer at Children's Hospital, the Museum of Natural History, Self-Help for the Hard of Hearing and a neighborhood watch on Capitol Hill, where she lived.

Survivors include a brother, Ralph Johnson of Sun City Center, Fla.

Russell C. Lynch Sr.

Interior Department Judge

Russell C. Lynch Sr., 71, who worked at the Interior Department's Board of Contract Appeals from 1976 until he retired as chairman in 1993, died Jan. 23 at Arlington Hospital after a stroke. He lived in McLean.

Mr. Lynch was born in Clifton Forge, Va., and graduated from West Virginia University in 1949 and from its law school in 1951. During the Korean War, he was a legal adviser at the Air Force Logistics Command.

In the 1950s and 1960s, he worked in private practice and was general counsel to several national companies, including Vitro Corp. and AVCO Corp.

In the mid-1970s, he was general counsel to the federal volunteer agency ACTION.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Meriam A. Lynch, of McLean; two sons, Russell Jr., of Silver Spring, and Mark S., of Upper Marlboro; a brother; and a granddaughter.