Lloyd W. Law, a National Institutes of Health researcher and geneticist who was credited with the discovery of a combination chemotherapy used to treat childhood leukemia, died Oct. 20 at his home in Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, a week short of his 92nd birthday.
Dr. Law retired in the early 1990s as scientist emeritus and chief of the cell biology laboratory at the National Cancer Institute. A symposium was later held in his honor at the institute, and the cancer research library was named after him.
His talk on tumor antigens was part of the prestigious annual NIH lecture series.
His awards included the Rosenthal Award of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the U.S. Public Health Service Meritorious Service Award and Distinguished Service Medal and the Clowes Memorial Award in cancer research.
Dr. Law was born in Ford City, Pa. He was a graduate of the University of Illinois and received master's and doctoral degrees in biology from Harvard University. He did additional work at Stanford University.
He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II, instructing pilots on high-altitude flying conditions.
He was a high school teacher in Illinois in the early 1930s. He began his research in the origins and treatment of cancer in 1938 at the Jackson Laboratory, an independent research center in Bar Harbor, Maine.
He was later a trustee of the center. In 1947, he joined NIH, where he headed a leukemia studies section.
Dr. Law had served as an adviser to the American Cancer Society and other cancer organizations.
He wrote articles for professional journals and books.
He was president of the American Association for Cancer Research, a director of the NIH Alumni Association and a member of the Cosmos Club and Bethesda Presbyterian Church.
His wife, Bernette Law, died in 1976. Survivors include two sons, L. William Law Jr. of Winchester, Mass., and David B. Law of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.