Firefighters Find Pipe Bomb Near Waldorf
* A homemade pipe bomb was found on Laurel Branch Drive east of Waldorf by firefighters responding to a nearby fire. The explosive device was safely deactivated.
Service Remembers Anthrax Victims
* A year after letters contaminated with anthrax killed postal workers Joseph P. Curseen of Clinton and Thomas L. Morris Jr. of Suitland, employees of the quarantined Brentwood mail facility and supporters gathered at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception for a memorial service.
Federal Drought Loans Available to Farmers
* Farmers in most Maryland counties will be able to apply for low-interest federal loans if they have suffered at least a 30 percent crop loss because of this year's drought.
Sniper Made Fears Personal, Poll Finds
* A Washington Post poll found that a larger portion of the region's residents said the sniper shootings made them feel more personally threatened than did either the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks or the anthrax scare.
Waldorf Barber Charged With Molesting Boy
* A Waldorf barber was charged with molesting an 11-year-old customer, paying the boy for sex and taking nude pictures of him. Charles County sheriff's officials said Earl W. Washburn Jr., 35, met the boy at Precision Barber Shop and lured him to his Waldorf home several times between June 23 and Oct. 20.