Ronald Greene

Washington Lawyer

Ronald Greene, 59, a partner in the Washington law firm of Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering, died Oct. 31 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome (VHL), a multi-system genetic disorder characterized by abnormal blood vessel growth.

Mr. Greene, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of Omaha. He was a 1964 graduate of Harvard University and a 1968 graduate of its law school, where he had served as a Supreme Court and Note Editor of the law review. He clerked for Associate Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall in 1968. He was an Army lawyer in Washington in 1969 and 1970.

After that, he joined Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering, where he specialized in law cases involving antitrust and trade regulation, banks and banking, and consumer credit.

Mr. Greene was a member of the Harvard Club of Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Sunny, of Falls Church; a son, David, of Vienna; a daughter, Nancy Greene Trainer of McLean; a brother; and a grandson.

Robert Passmore Liversidge

EPA Intern

Robert Passmore Liversidge III, 39, an intern at the Environmental Protection Agency, died of kidney failure Oct. 5 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Liversidge, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Fort Eustis, Va. He graduated magna cum laude from Temple University and received a master's degree in urban planning from Cornell. About five years ago, he moved to this area and began his internship at EPA, where he worked on urban concerns.

Survivors include his mother, Ellen Bleecker Liversidge of Silver Spring; his father, Robert P. Liversidge Jr. of Maine; and his sister, Anne Gray Liversidge of Takoma Park.

Francis J. Shema

Navy Veteran

Francis J. Shema, 83, a retired Navy chief warrant officer who later served 20 years as an inspector with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 12 at the Leewood Health Center in Alexandria.

Mr. Shema served 20 years in the Navy, beginning in 1937, and his career included duty during World War II and the Korean War.

In 1942, he was aboard a Navy gunship that was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off the coast of Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles. He was fished from the water, oil-covered and unconscious, by a Dutch patrol boat, and eventually returned to his native Dixon City, Pa., where his parents had been told he was "lost at sea."

He arrived home just in time for his own memorial service, which, like the fictional Huckleberry Finn, he was able to attend. In later years he loved to regale friends and relatives with his account of how his mother thought she'd seen a ghost when she first saw him there.

Other Navy assignments included tours in China, Australia, Occupied Japan, South America and Washington. He had lived in this area for 50 years.

From 1962 to 1982 Mr. Shema was an inspector with the WSSC. He was active in Democratic Party politics in Prince George's County and was an elections judge at polling stations in Marlow Heights.

Since 1977 he had lived in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Elizabeth E. Shema of Alexandria; three children, Michael F. Shema of Las Vegas, Christopher P. Shema of Terre Haute, Ind., and Stephanie Shema Thomas of Fort Washington; a brother, a sister and five grandchildren.

Anne Plowman Allen

CIA Data Entry Assistant

Anne Plowman Allen, 77, who did secretarial and data entry work for government agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 27 at her home in McLean.

She was a data intelligence assistant for the CIA from 1967 to 1978. Earlier, she did secretarial work for the Civil Service Commission, the Federal Maritime Commission and the War Production Board.

Mrs. Allen was a native Washingtonian and 1942 graduate of Western High School. She attended George Washington University, where she was a member of Pi Beta Phi social sorority.

She was a member of the Altar Guild and St. Mary's Guild of St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean. She also was a member of Daughters of the American Revolution and a volunteer of the Share food assistance organization.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Gale W. Allen of McLean; three children, Russell P. Allen of Atlanta, Elaine W. Montgomery of McLean and Thomas G. Allen of Herndon; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Frederick Baker Burbank

USO Club Director

Frederick Baker Burbank, 96, who retired from the Armed Services YMCA in 1971 after 25 years as a director of USO clubs along the East Coast, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 30 at the Rockville Nursing Home.

Mr. Burbank was a native of Perth Amboy, N.J., and a graduate of Springfield College in Springfield, Mass., where he also received a master's degree in physical education.

Before joining the Armed Services YMCA, he spent 15 years as the athletics coach at the New Jersey School for the Deaf.

He settled in the Washington area in 1971, living in Gaithersburg until 1992 and in Germantown for the past nine years.

He was a member of the Gaithersburg Lions Club and a volunteer of the United Way and American Red Cross.

His wife of 69 years, Vivian Pederson Burbank, died in 1999. Survivors include a daughter, Vivian Constance Hensley of Germantown, and two grandchildren.

Elvere Conner Cox

Newspaper Columnist

Elvere Conner Cox, 93, a Manassas native who spent 65 years writing the "In and Around Manassas" column for what became the Manassas Journal Messenger newspaper, died Oct. 30 at a health care center in Charlottesville after a stroke. She moved from Manassas to Charlottesville a decade ago.

Mrs. Cox's column, which she stopped writing in the early 1990s, covered all manner of local life, from garden club meetings to gossip. Over the years, she also contributed stories to the Washington Star and other newspapers.

She was a member of the Manassas, Town and Country and Rocky Run garden clubs and the Manassas chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

She also was a member of the Virginia council of Nationally Accredited Flower Show Judges.

She was a graduate of what is now Osbourn High School in Manassas and was an honors graduate of Mary Washington College.

Her husband of 37 years, Frank D. Cox Sr., died in 1979. Survivors include a son, Frank D. Cox Jr. of Charlottesville; and four grandchildren.

Roberta Johnston Graham


Roberta J. Graham, 91, a technical librarian who retired in the early 1970s after about 10 years with the Navy Department, died Oct. 28 at her residence at Washington House in Alexandria. She had dementia.

Mrs. Graham had been a librarian in the Alexandria City Public School system in the late 1950s.

She was born in Vandergrift, Pa., and had attended secretarial school in Pittsburgh.

Mrs. Graham became active in Mothers Against Drunk Driving after the death of her youngest son, Alan B. Graham, in an accident in 1980. Her husband, Alvin Philips Graham, died in 1966 and a daughter, Margaret King, died in 1992. Survivors include three children, Roberta J. Pauly of Lorton, Paul A. Graham of Alexandria and Thomas P. Graham of Arlington; six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Audrey Elise Young

Business Owner

Audrey Elise Young, 66, who, along with her husband, owned Fine Art and Furnishings in Rockville since 1991, died Oct. 31 at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney. She had lung cancer.

She lived off and on in the Washington area since the late 1960s and lived in Gaithersburg since 1989.

She helped operate home-building firms in the Potomac area in the 1960s and 1970s before moving to Florida, where she operated a restaurant. She returned to the area in 1989.

Mrs. Young was born in Evansville, Ind., and grew up in Waterbury, Conn.

Survivors include her husband of 34 years, George Young of Gaithersburg; a son, Steven, of Brookeville, Md.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Carrie Lucile Boulis


Carrie Lucile Boulis, 42, a former secretary with the training division of the Fairfax Police Department, died Oct. 31 at the Inova emergency care center in Springfield. She died of complications following a hysterectomy.

Mrs. Boulis, who lived in Springfield, was born at Fort Jackson, S.C. and moved to this area as an infant. She graduated from West Springfield High School and the Washington School for Secretaries.

For about three years in the late 1970s and 1980s, she was a Fairfax Police secretary.

She was a member of Messiah United Methodist Church in Springfield and its Friendship Circle.

Survivors include her husband of 19 years, Robert Boulis Jr., two children, Angela and Bobby, all of Springfield; her parents, Ann and Bill Pritchett of Springfield; a sister, Brenda Van Sickle of Warrenton; and a brother, Rick Pritchett of Burke.

Eugene Tucker

C&P Supervisor

Eugene Tucker, 80, a supervisor for Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. when he retired in 1978 after a 37-year career, died of cancer Oct. 30 at the Warrenton Overlook Health and Rehabilitation Center.

Mr. Tucker, an Arlington native, was a 1940 graduate of Washington and Lee High School. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He moved from Arlington to Washington, Va., in 1978. There, he began a career making and repairing clocks, retiring for a second time in the late 1990s.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Margaret Tucker of Washington, Va.; three sons, Thomas, of Silvergate, Mont., James, of Warrenton and Donald, of Washington, Va.; a daughter, Marilyn Nicol of Richmond; a sister, Carolyn McCullough of Landover; and four grandchildren.

Andrew J. Colyer

Association Treasurer

Andrew J. Colyer, 85, a retired Army colonel who in the 1970s and 1980s was treasurer of the Kensington Community Association, died of cancer Oct. 27 at the Knollwood Retirement Homes in Washington.

He lived in Kensington from 1968 until moving to Knollwood in 2001.

Col. Colyer, an Atlanta native, served in the Army from 1941 to 1972. He was a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute and had attended Harvard University.

He served in the Persian Gulf during World War II and in Korea during the conflict there. He also had been stationed at the Pentagon and in Germany. His last command, from 1968 to 1972, was executive officer at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Mary Ambrose Colyer, and son, George, both of Washington; a son, Andrew, of Bel Air, Md.; and a grandson.

Rita Katherine Chadwick


Rita Katherine Chadwick, 59, a secretary at such local concerns as the Kluge, Finkelstein food brokerage from the mid-1960s to mid-1970s and what is now the accounting firm of Dembo, Jones, Healy, Pennington and Ahalt, died Oct. 30 at her home in Union Bridge, Md. She had ovarian cancer.

Mrs. Chadwick was born in Fort Madison, Iowa, and grew up in Chevy Chase. She was a graduate of Holy Cross Academy in Washington and what is now Endicott College in Massachusetts.

Over the years, she did volunteer work for the American Red Cross, Big Sisters and what is now Services for the Visually Impaired. She belonged to several golfing associations and won area tournaments. She was a former member of Montgomery Village Golf Club.

She moved from Potomac to Union Bridge in 1995.

Survivors include her husband of 33 years, Charles M. Chadwick of Union Bridge; and two brothers.

Alexander Gillies

Aerospace Engineer

Alexander Gillies, 70, an aerospace engineer who worked in the McLean offices of TRW from 1978 until retiring in 1999 as a communications manager, died of heart disease Oct. 14 at a hospital in Conroe, Tex.

He lived in McLean from 1978 until moving to Montgomery, Tex., in 1999.

Mr. Gillies, a native of Kearny, N.J., was an engineering graduate of Texas A&M. He had served in the Air Force in the 1960s.

He was project engineer for the Mercury and Apollo space missions in Texas before moving to the Washington area.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Mea Gillies of Montgomery; two sons, John, of Sydney, Australia, and Patrick, of Austin.