Frances Marcellino Swecker


Frances Marcellino Swecker, 94, a Falls Church resident who retired in 1965 after more than 30 years as a secretary with the patent law firm of Swecker, Swecker & Mathis in Washington, died Nov. 1 at Inova Alexandria Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Swecker, whose second husband ran the firm, was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Washington, where she had served as a Sunday school teacher, organist and choir member. She was a member of the Altar Guild and secretary of the church's drama club, Sodality and Parish Council. She was past president of the Carmelite Sisters Guild and a founder of the church's retirement home in Mitchellville, Villa Rosa Home.

Mrs. Swecker, a former Bethesda resident, was a Washington native and 1925 graduate of Washington Business High School. She attended Wilson Teachers College.

She was past president of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Citizens Association and the PTA at Truesdell Elementary School in Washington.

Her first husband, Joseph F. Marcellino Sr., died in 1986 and her second husband, J. Preston Swecker, died in 1996.

Survivors include three sons from her first marriage, ret. Air Force Col. Michael R. Marcellino of Dayton, Ohio, Joseph F. Marcellino Jr. of Smithfield, N.C., and Francis T. Marcellino of Rockville; a brother; 14 grandchildren; and 23 great-grandchildren.

Mark Rollinson


Mark Rollinson, 67, a lawyer with a private business practice in Loudoun County who also was a director of Telebank Financial Corp., an Internet bank based in Arlington, died of cancer Oct. 30 at his home in Purcellville.

Mr. Rollinson, who had lived in the Washington area since the mid-1950s, was a native of Chattanooga. He graduated from Duke University and George Washington University's law school.

From 1959 to 1962, he was chief financial officer of Human Sciences Research Inc., a McLean-based think tank that applied scientific methods to major social issues. In 1963, he became vice president and general counsel of Greater Washington Investors, a technologically oriented venture capital investment company.

He ran a business law practice in Washington from 1971 to 1978, then served three years as the D.C. partner for a Michigan-based law firm before opening a solo practice in Alexandria in 1981. He moved his offices to Purcellville in 1990.

His marriage to Barbara Rollinson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Carole Seliger Rollinson of Purcellville; four children from his first marriage; and a brother.

James C. Bell Jr.


James C. Bell Jr., 82, a former Rockville resident who retired from the Defense Intelligence Agency in 1977 after 31 years as a cryptanalyst, died of colon cancer Oct. 31 at a rehabilitation hospital in Marlton, N.J.

Mr. Bell was born in Melrose, Mass., and was raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was a 1941 graduate of Harvard University.

During World War II, he served in the Army and was involved in code-breaking as a Japanese linguist in Washington. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1975 as a lieutenant colonel.

In retirement, he moved to Florida, settling first in Stuart and then Vero Beach.

His wife, Mary Bell, died in 1988.

Survivors include two children, Air Force Lt. Col. James C. Bell III of Marlton and Dr. Katie Bell of McKinleyville, Calif.; and two grandsons.

Mary Chandler Jackson

Social Services Official

Mary Chandler Jackson, 67, deputy director of the Primary Care Coalition of Montgomery County, where she worked the last two years, died Oct. 27 at her home in Bethesda. She had cancer.

From 1989 to 2001, Mrs. Jackson worked for the Family Services Agency in Gaithersburg, where she held such positions as development director and director of grants and children's programs.

In the late 1980s, she was executive director of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop.

She was a native of New York and a graduate of Radcliffe College. At Harvard University, she received master's degrees in teaching and public administration. She was founder and executive director of a social services organization in Northampton, Mass., before she moved to the Washington area in 1987.

Her marriage to Schuyler Jackson ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, Philip Jackson of Arlington, Maria Jackson of Boyds, Katharine J. Lualdi of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, and Celia Jackson of San Francisco; a brother, David Chandler of Washington; and six grandchildren.

Virginia Mae Cross Lewis

Real Estate Agent

Virginia Mae Cross Lewis, 75, a real estate agent who retired from Pardoe and Graham in Alexandria in 1995, died Nov. 4 at her home in Alexandria. She had cancer.

Mrs. Lewis was a native of Pasadena, Calif., and a 1948 international affairs graduate of Stanford University.

She was doing budgetary work for the Foreign Service in Spain when she married a Foreign Service officer in 1951 and left government. She accompanied him on his assignments until settling in the Washington area in 1979.

Among her earliest real estate jobs was with Mount Vernon Realty.

She was a member of Mount Vernon Country Club in Alexandria and Diplomatic and Consular Officers, Retired. Her avocations included skiing, sailing, tennis, hiking and golf.

Survivors include her husband, Reese A. Lewis of Alexandria; three children, Harry Lewis of San Francisco and Reese P. Lewis and Maureen Lewis, both of Arlington; and six grandchildren.

Klaus W. Hueper

Fannie Mae Chief Appraiser

Klaus Wilhelm Hueper, 74, who worked for the Federal National Mortgage Association, known as Fannie Mae, from the mid-1970s to early 1980s and retired as a chief appraiser, died Oct. 15 at Georgetown University Medical Center. He had pulmonary fibrosis.

Mr. Hueper, a Washington resident, retired early from Fannie Mae because of several heart attacks.

His earliest jobs included real estate appraisal work at area companies such as Acacia Mutual Life Insurance and B.F. Saul.

He was born in Chicago and grew up in Scarsdale, N.Y. He was a graduate of Princeton University and attended the University of Virginia law school. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

His memberships included the Princeton Club of Washington and St. David's Episcopal Church in Washington, where he had been a junior warden.

His marriage to Nancy Lippman Hueper ended in divorce.

Survivors include his second wife, Katherine Bernhardt Hueper of Washington; a son from the first marriage, Paul Frederick Hueper of Washington; a stepson, Linn Foss of Washington; and three stepdaughters, Anna Buck of Chevy Chase and Katherine McClintic and Helen Foss, both of Washington.

Frances Estevez Moure

Court Deputy Clerk

Frances Estevez Moure, 84, who spent about 12 years working at Fredericksburg General District Court before retiring in the early 1990s as deputy clerk, died Nov. 2 at her home in Bowling Green, Va. She had cancer.

Mrs. Moure was born in Cuba and moved to New York when she was 3 and to Charles County, Md., when she was 12. She was a graduate of La Plata High School and attended the University of Maryland.

In the early 1940s, she did secretarial work for the Charles County health department and paralegal work for county law firms.

She was a member of St. Mary of the Annunciation Catholic Church in Ladysmith, Va., and a former president of the American Legion ladies auxiliary in La Plata and the La Plata Garden Club.

Survivors include her husband of 62 years, Rodrigo J. Moure of Bowling Green; three children, Anita Mattingly of Rock Point, Md., and Mary Ann Glessner and John P. Moure, both of La Plata; a brother, George Estevez of Waldorf; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.