(Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.)
The Calvert County Health Department is offering flu shots for adults and school-age children, 9 a.m.-noon on the following days: Nov. 14, Huntingtown Fire Department; Nov. 21, North Beach Fire Department; Dec. 5, Solomons Fire Department; Dec. 12, Calvert County Courthouse. There is a $10 fee for each immunization; Medicare part B will also be accepted for payment. Walk-ins for flu shots will also be accepted 8:30-10 a.m. weekdays, beginning Dec. 2, at the Calvert County Health Department, 975 Solomons Island Rd. N., Prince Frederick. For more information, call 410-535-5400 or log on to www.calverthealth.org.
HOSPICE SPEAKERS BUREAU
Hospice and bereavement professionals are available for presentations to associations, churches and community groups. To schedule a speaker, call 301-855-1226 or 410-535-0892.
St. Mary's County Health Department is reopening its travel clinic for those individuals planning visits to areas in the world where they may be exposed to vaccine-preventable diseases. Because most vaccines require at least three to four weeks to become effective, it is important to allow plenty of time between the vaccine and your trip. Other routine immunizations such as flu and tetanus-diphtheria are also available. The cost of vaccines varies. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 301-475-4330.
CHARLES COUNTY RED CROSS
* 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 14, Waldorf Ford/Dodge, 2440 Crain Hwy., Waldorf.
* 2-8 p.m. Nov. 19, Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department, 3245 Old Washington Rd., Waldorf.
* 1-7 p.m. Nov. 21, Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse, 2525 Crain Hwy., Waldorf.
* 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 23, Health Partners education room 1, 3070 Crain Hwy., Waldorf.
* 2-7 p.m. Nov. 27, Gwynn Education Center Gym, 5998 Radio Station Rd., La Plata.
* 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 9, Victoria Park Community Room, 11080 Weymouth Ct., Waldorf.
* 2-7 p.m. Dec. 10, New Life Wesleyan Church, 9690 Shepards Creek Pl., White Plains.
* 3-8 p.m. Dec. 10, Waldorf Sport & Health Center, 90 Post Office Rd., Waldorf.
Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 800-GIVE BLOOD or 800-448-3256.
CHRISTMAS TREE OF LIFE
Light a light in memory or in honor of a loved one and support the Civista Health Foundation. Enjoy holiday music and refreshments at the Tree Lighting Ceremony. 5:30 p.m. Dec. 11, Civista Medical Center (7). For more information, call 301-609-4132.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND MEDBANK
The Southern Maryland Medbank Program provides access to free prescription medications for people without prescription insurance coverage who meet income limits. If you live in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's or Anne Arundel counties and need help paying for your medications, call to see if you are eligible. 866-633-2265.
CARDIAC REHABILITATION PROGRAM
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers this program for those who have experienced a heart attack, bypass surgery or other cardiac event. The program includes monitored exercise, risk factor education, nutrition counseling, tobacco cessation and stress management. Insurance billing is available. Call 410-538-8308 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8308.
Calvert Memorial Hospital invites you to meet with a certified fitness trainer to test your current fitness level. Tests evaluate muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, aerobic capacity and body composition. $45. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENINGS
* Civista Medical Center (7) offers free screenings, 1-3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of each month, in the lobby.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital's KeepWell Center (3) offers free screenings, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the second Tuesday of every month. No appointment needed. Free. 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
COLON CANCER SCREENINGS
If you are 50 or older, you should be screened for colon cancer, the second-leading cause of cancer death in Maryland. For more information, call Calvert County Health Department, 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353; St. Mary's County, 301-475-4330; or Charles County, 301-609-6843.
* Mall Walkers, sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14), invites participants of all ages to join in all-weather walking, 7:30-9:30 a.m. weekdays at St. Charles Towne Center Food Court in Waldorf. Free blood pressure monitoring. Call 301-877-5700.
* Charles County Walkers meet monthly at various locations in the county. Call for locations and dates. $15 membership fee required. Members receive a CC Walker T-shirt and monthly newsletters. 888-332-4847.
HOLIDAY BLUES -- COPING WITH GRIEF DURING THE HOLIDAYS
Calvert Hospice offers a discussion for those facing grief at holiday time, 7 p.m. Nov. 13 at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Education Building, Great Hall, Prince Frederick. Registration is required. Call 301-855-1226, 410-535-0892.
Learn about aromatherapy and how it can enhance your health and well-being. A hands-on class in which participants explore the uses of oils in a variety of applications. Participants will mix an aromatherapy oil to take home. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 16, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $20; registration required.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) sponsors a program for those who suffer from asthma. Learn about adjusting to life with asthma, monitoring breathing and tips on the latest medications and treatments, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21. No registration required.
American Heart Association CPR Basic Life Support course, including emergency response, CPR with and without a barrier device, and relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for adult, infant and child victims, 6-9 p.m. Nov. 11 and 13, at Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $39. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, to register.
LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER
St. Mary's Hospital (12) partners with the National Cosmetology Association and the American Cancer Society for this free support program for cancer patients in any stages of diagnosis or treatment. The program helps women cancer patients improve their appearance and self-image by teaching them hands-on beauty techniques to overcome side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 13. Call 301-475-6070 to register.
FREEDOM FROM SMOKING
Civista Medical Center (7) and the American Lung Association co-sponsor a seven-session course designed to enable smokers to quit for good. Six Thursday evening sessions and one Saturday session. Call for class dates. $40; registration and prepayment required.
GOOD FOOD AND DIABETES
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers a class that offers help with wise food choices to help control diabetes, 3-4 p.m. Nov. 19, at the Department of Social Services, Lexington Park. Call 301-475-6019 to register.
* An educational program structured around two group classes and two individual sessions. The group classes are designed to enhance general knowledge of diabetes and focus on the American Diabetes Association's self-management curriculum. The individual sessions cover medical nutritional concepts, blood glucose self-monitoring and insulin preparation and administration. Civista Women's Health Center (8). Monthly fee. Call 301-609-5200 for information, registration and to discuss insurance coverage.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program designed to enhance knowledge of diabetes and teach the skills to manage it. Focuses on medication, insulin, self-monitoring, control and response to complications. Physician referral required. Cost may be covered by insurance. For more information, call 410-535-8176.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers massage for pregnant women that reduces fatigue, swelling and muscular pain. Provided by a trained therapist in the context of a normal pregnancy, the massage is safe and should contribute to a healthier, happier pregnancy and easier childbirth experience. Solomons Medical Center (13) or Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $25 for 30 minutes, $50 for an hour. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, to schedule an appointment.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
An ongoing class for women that includes 45 minutes of exercise designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment to improve muscular fitness. 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays, 6:45-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays or 6:45-7:30 p.m. Thursdays. Four sessions for $30, or $8 per session, Civista Women's Health Center (8). Registration not required.
SENIOR DRIVING COURSE
Civista Health and AARP sponsor a classroom refresher course to help drivers 50 and older improve their skills and prevent traffic accidents. The course covers age-related physical changes, declining perceptual skills, rules of the road, local driving problems and license renewal requirements. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 14 at Civista Health's new building at 8 Kent Ave. in La Plata. Free; registration required.
LETTING GO OF STRESS
Learn how the body reacts to stress and techniques to defuse it. Deep breathing, progressive muscular relaxation, visualization and simple massage techniques will be demonstrated. 6:30-8 p.m. Dec. 4, Civista Women's Health Center (8), $15. Registration and prepayment required.
TOBACCO ROAD SHOW
Keep your children tobacco-free. Let them see the sludge, smell the stench, gasp for air and hear about the chilling effects of tobacco use in this 50-minute interactive demonstration sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Available for groups of children in grades 5-9. Free. For more information, call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
BABY CARE BASICS
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a class about basic infant care, feeding immunizations and treating minor illnesses, for new and expectant parents. 6:30-8:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month. $9 per family. To register, call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Women's Health Center (8) offers an expanded class including proper car seat selection and installation, infant and child CPR, how to baby-proof a home, and how to care for and be comfortable with a new baby. Call for class dates and times. $35; registration and prepayment required.
* A childbirth education class for those delivering at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) includes labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, cesarean section information, breast-feeding education and more. $100. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times.
* A class offered as a four-evening series or a one-day Saturday class, to prepare mother and support person for a safe and happy birthing experience. A tour of the family birthing center is also included. Civista Medical Center (7), Antenatal Testing Center. Call for class dates. $75; registration and prepayment required.
Breast-feeding basics for expectant and new parents who would like to learn the basic techniques for successfully breast-feeding a new baby. Other feeding options are covered. 10 a.m.-noon Nov. 23, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $10; registration and prepayment required.
PARENTS TO BE, BABY 2002 CLUB
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers an in-depth series of free classes on becoming a parent. Register early as the classes fill up quickly. The monthly classes include Make Way for Baby, for moms in their first trimester of pregnancy; Taking Care of Baby; Breast-Feeding; Childbirth; Childbirth Refresher; Infant Safety and CPR; and New Brothers and Sisters. Free; registration required.
The Alzheimer's Association of the National Capital Area offers these support groups in Southern Maryland:
* St. Mary's County: Garvey Senior Center, 301-475-4444.
* Calvert County: Calvert Pines Senior Center, 301-855-1170, and Solomons Nursing Center, 410-326-0077.
Families learn how to handle different stages of Alzheimer's disease and share strategies for daily activities, 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of every month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14). Free. Call 301-877-5700 to register.
The Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) Amputee Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of every month on the fourth floor of the hospital. Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210. For updated information on speakers and topics, call the Amputee Support Group Hotline at 410-414-4670.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) sponsors a group that meets 3-4 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month at Cedar Lane apartments. For details, call 301-475-6019.
* This group meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month (except holidays) at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For more information, call 410-535-5467.
* Survivors, caregivers and anyone affected by a brain injury are encouraged to attend a support group, 6:30-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month at Spring Dell Center, 9320 W & W Industrial Rd., La Plata. For directions, call Lyndee Tomlinson, 301-932-6196.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) and the American Cancer Society offer this group for cancer patients and their families and friends. Meets 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 16 in the Atrium. Snacks provided. Call 301-475-6070 to register.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4) offers a group for cancer patients, 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of every month at the Medical Office Building. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* For cardiac patients and family members, led by registered nurse Linda Fitzgerald, coordinator of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Civista Medical Center Cafeteria (7), 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday of every month in the medical center cafeteria. Free; registration not required.
* Support group sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital. For information on dates, times and topics, call 410-414-4648 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4648.
Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3), this group meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of every month at the hospital. Call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline, 410-414-4783.
The St. Mary's County Office on Aging offers a support group for those with fibromyalgia on the second and fourth Mondays of each month, except holidays. For times and locations, call Melissa Jetmore, 301-737-5672.
The Southern Maryland chapter of the Ostomy Association of America meets at Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15). For details, call Jerry Kluckman, 410-326-2207.
For families of persons who have Parkinson's, this group meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month in the Civista Medical Center (7) cafeteria. Registration not required.
-- Molli Yood
Programs and activities have been confirmed at the time of publication. However, changes or cancellations can occur, and anyone interested in a particular program can call the listed telephone numbers to check schedule changes.
Items are accepted on a space-available basis, from public and nonprofit organizations only, and must be received at least 14 days before the third Sunday of the month. Submit information to: Health Calendar, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646. Information also can be faxed to 301-934-1088. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.