The Nov. 13 obituary for Agostino della Porta misidentified the current position of his wife, Barbara Rehm. She is managing editor of NPR News. (Published 11/20/02)

Agostino della Porta


Agostino della Porta, 60, who wrote about inter-American relations for the German News Service and had worked for U.S. wire services in this country and in South America, died of cancer Nov. 11 at his home in the District.

As a Washington correspondent for Deutsche Press-Agentur from the early 1980s to 2000, he covered political, diplomatic and economic issues relating to Latin America. He appeared on CNN's "Foreign Press" and filed reports for Latin American radio stations.

Mr. della Porta had also been a moderator, panelist and producer of the WorldNet program "Foro Interamericano" and participated in Univision's current events program "Temas y Debates."

As a young man in his native Buenos Aires, he attended the Otto Krause technical institute and did public relations and communications work for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler Corp.

He began his journalism career in New York in 1971, working for United Press International as an editor and translator on the Latin American desk. He was later a UPI correspondent in Brazil and Argentina. His assignments there included the war in Argentina and the fall of the government of Isabel Peron.

Mr. della Porta managed a private island and resort in the British Virgin Islands before returning to New York in 1980 to work for the Associated Press. He also worked for an independent wire service, Agencia Diarios y Noticias in Argentina.

Mr. della Porta edited the Scripps-Howard Spanish-language service and worked as a translator for the Smithsonian Institution and the Inter-American Development Bank. He wrote for the bank's magazine and was translator of a book, "Health and the Hispanic Kitchen."

He was a member of St. Thomas Apostle Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 30 years, Barbara Rehm della Porta, who lives in Washington and is managing editor of National Public Radio's "All Things Considered.

Ann Joy Davidson

Tax Law Expert

Ann Joy Davidson, 54, an international tax law expert who founded and operated International Information Systems in Washington since 1990, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Oct. 17 at the Washington Home and Hospice.

She lived in the Washington area since 1980.

Ms. Davidson, a native of South Bend, Ind., received a bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan, a law degree from Northeastern University and a master's degree in tax law from George Washington University.

She was a lawyer in the 1980s at the Internal Revenue Service and later worked for Tax Notes before starting her own business.

Survivors include her mother, Bess Davidson of Revere, Mass.; and a sister, Terri Davidson Cabitt of Rowley, Mass.

Leonard W. Allen


Leonard W. Allen, 72, a psychologist who retired from the D.C. government in 1980 as deputy administrator of the Mental Health Administration, died of lung cancer Nov. 10 at Georgetown University Hospital.

For 22 years, Dr. Allen worked with the D.C. Department of Public Health and the Department of Human Resources, serving as a staff psychologist at D.C. General Hospital, chief psychologist of the hospital's psychiatric rehabilitation center and chief of the bureaus of alcohol treatment and developmental disabilities.

After retiring from the D.C. government, he had a private practice in clinical psychology in Washington and Northern Virginia. He was a resident of Alexandria.

Dr. Allen, a native of New York, was a graduate of Brooklyn College of the City University of New York. He received a master's degree in psychology from City College and a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Denver.

In 1958, he moved to Washington and began his career with the D.C. government.

Dr. Allen had served on the faculty of the psychiatry department at Georgetown University Medical School and was an associate clinical professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at George Washington University Medical School.

He had been president of the consulting psychology division of the American Psychological Association and president of the District of Columbia Psychological Association.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Dorothy Allen of Alexandria, and a brother.

Gladys Quander Tancil

Historic Interpreter

Gladys Rebecca Quander Tancil, 81, a historical interpreter at Mount Vernon from 1973 until retiring in 2001, died of cancer Nov. 5 at Mount Vernon Nursing Center in Alexandria.

She was a member and an expert on the history of the Quander family. It is among the most documented black families in the country, and its lineage includes slaves freed by George Washington.

Mrs. Tancil was born in Washington and raised on a produce farm in the Alexandria portion of Fairfax County.

She was a 1938 graduate of Armstrong High School.

She retired in the 1970s as a clerk in the Navy Department after a 31-year government career, which also included service with the Office of Emergency Management, which became the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Mrs. Tancil was a member of the NAACP and Black Women United of Fairfax County.

She was a founding member of the Society for the Preservation of Black Heritage in Alexandria.

She also was a member of Alfred Street Baptist Church in Alexandria and was a trustee at the Children's Home of Virginia Baptists.

Her marriage to Herbert P. Tancil III ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Gloria Tancil Holmes of Alexandria and Herbert IV, of Glenn Ellyn, Ill.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Frederick J. Griffiths

Gunston Hall Curator

Frederick J. Griffiths, 89, who was curator of the Gunston Hall museum in Fairfax from 1950 until 1960, died of heart ailments Nov. 4 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Griffiths, a native of Detroit, graduated from Princeton University. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Office of Strategic Services. He participated in the D-Day landings in Normandy and worked with French underground forces.

Later, he served briefly in the Central Intelligence Agency. He had been retired since 1960.

He was a member of the F Street Club.

Survivors include a sister, Jane Armstrong of Chevy Chase.

Emory C. Leffel

Agriculture Professor

Emory C. Leffel, 79, an agriculture professor emeritus at the University of Maryland who taught there from 1951 until his retirement in 1982, died Nov. 8 at his home in Silver Spring. He had cardiovascular disease.

He lived in the Washington area since the 1940s and in Silver Spring since the 1960s.

Dr. Leffel, a native of Pearisburg, Va., received a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, both in animal husbandry, from the University of Maryland, and a doctorate from the school in dairy science.

He served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II.

Dr. Leffel, who achieved the rank of professor in 1968, was the faculty adviser for the Agricultural Student Council and Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. He taught undergraduate courses in the principles of quantitative nutrition and the economic and biological aspects of animal production.

He was a recipient of the Distinguished Service Award of the American Society of Animal Science Northeastern Section.

His first wife, Mildred Wangler, died in 1955.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Ruby Leffel of Silver Spring; a son from his first marriage, Emory Jr., of Roanoke; two children from his second marriage, Emily Leffel of Laurel and Alan, of Clarks, La.; two brothers; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Edward R. Pasciutti

NASA Engineer

Edward R. Pasciutti, 81, a retired National Aeronautics and Space Administration engineer, died of pneumonia Nov. 10 at Bradley Memorial Hospital in Southington, Conn. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Pasciutti was born in New York. He received a certificate in advanced radio and television technology from RCA Institute of New York City. During World War II, he was an Army radio engineer. He received a Bronze Star.

After the war, he was an electronic maintenance specialist at Bradley airfield in Windsor Locks, Conn., then graduated from the University of Connecticut with a degree in electrical engineering.

In 1956, he moved to the Washington area. For six years, he was a research engineer with the Naval Ordnance Lab in White Oak. He then transferred to NASA, where he specialized in satellite power systems. He published professional papers and obtained three patents. He retired from NASA in 1979.

Mr. Pasciutti was a member of the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers, the 63rd Infantry Division Association and Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was also a Boy Scout master.

A former resident of Beltsville, he moved to Connecticut last year.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Pollock Pasciutti of Southington; three children, Edward J. Pasciutti of Cheshire, Conn., Joseph P. Pasciutti of Southington and Catherine Pasciutti Elliott of San Diego; and two grandchildren.

Vera Bulling Foster


Vera Bulling Foster, 74, who accompanied her husband to posts overseas with the Central Intelligence Agency and who was a volunteer in Fairfax County, died of colon cancer Nov. 7 at her home in Tijeras, N.M. A resident of Fairfax off and on for nearly 50 years, she moved to New Mexico in 1997.

Mrs. Foster was born in Tientsin, China, where her father, a British citizen, was a businessman and her mother was a refugee from Russia. She was interned by the Japanese in the Philippines during World War II.

After her marriage in 1948 to John Samuel Foster, she accompanied him to posts in Hawaii, Japan, the Philippines, Iran and the Netherlands.

Mrs. Foster was office manager at Comcorp in Washington in the early 1980s. She volunteered with the Democratic Party and the Offender Aid and Restoration program for inmates.

Her husband died in 1977.

Survivors include four children, Glen Foster of Falls Church; Barbara Cesar of Van Nuys, Calif., and Jeane Foster and Lexi Foster, both of Tijeras; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Karin Echwald

Coast Guard Official

Karin Lotte Echwald, 64, who worked for the U.S. Coast Guard from the late 1960s to the early 1990s, retiring as a supervisory personnel officer, died Nov. 11 at Sunrise assisted-living facility in Springfield. She had cancer.

Mrs. Echwald, a Falls Church resident, was born in Germany. She did administrative work in New York after she came to the United States in the mid-1960s. She became a U.S. citizen.

She was a former volunteer for Travelers Aid at Ronald Reagan National Airport.

Her marriage to Paul E. Zedalis ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Walter Echwald of Falls Church, whom she married in 1989; two children from her first marriage, Army Sgt. Paul Zedalis of Alexandria and Kerstin Reinecke of Eagle River, Alaska; and a grandson.

Howard Leo Rohr

Army Employee

Howard Leo Rohr, 85, a civilian employee of the Department of the Army who retired as a specialist in concepts and doctrines in the office of the deputy chief of staff for military operations, died of stomach cancer Nov. 10 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Rohr, a native of New York, graduated from New York University. He served in the Army during World War II. He began his civilian career with the Department of the Army after the war and retired in 1976.

He was a former president of the Washington Ethical Society and the Falls Church High School PTA and was active in the Northern Virginia Ethical Society.

In retirement, he was a volunteer with Group Health Association and then with Hospice of Northern Virginia.

His wife of 53 years, Lois Rohr, died in 1991.

Survivors include his companion, Thuy Pham of Falls Church; three children, Michael David Rohr of Montclair, N.J., Linda Oken of Bala Cynwyd, Pa., and Pinchos Osher Rohr of Jerusalem; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Virginia Young Stone

Charity Co-Founder

Virginia Young Stone, 91, who with her husband founded the Mouse Sale, a charitable organization that sold refurbished antiques, Christmas decorations and artwork mostly made by their family, died Nov. 10 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Stone, a Washington resident, was a native of Henshaw, Ky., and a 1932 honors graduate of the University of Kentucky.

She accompanied her husband on his Central Intelligence Agency assignments until settling in the Washington area in the mid-1970s. She operated the charity from the mid-1970s until the mid-1990s.

She was a member of Episcopal Christ Church in Georgetown and Daughters of the American Revolution.

Her husband of 64 years, Charles Francis "Frank" Stone, died in 1996.

Survivors include two daughters, Susanne Stone Page of Corrales, N.M., and Sally Stone Halvorson of Washington; a brother; five grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Andrew R. Edelen Jr.

Visual Information Specialist

Andrew R. Edelen Jr., 77, a native Washingtonian who was a visual information specialist for the Army Department before retiring in 1980 from Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois, died Nov. 8 at a medical center in Davenport, Iowa. He had leukemia and Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Edelen, a Davenport resident for more than 30 years, was a graduate of Armstrong High School. He served in the Army Air Forces as a master sergeant during World War II, and he was in the Army Reserve for about 12 years until the late 1950s, retiring as a major.

He started his career with what became the U.S. Postal Service, from which he received an award for redesigning the color scheme used for everything from delivery trucks to drop-off mailboxes.

He then worked at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort McNair in Washington, transferring to Rock Island Arsenal in 1968.

He was fourth-degree Knight of Columbus and former president and brigadier general of the Knights of St. John of the Baltimore-Washington Grand Commandery.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Edelen of Davenport; three children, Andrea R. Edelen, Evelyn E. McGrath and Tony Edelen, all of Davenport; a sister, Mary L. Makle of Washington; and four grandchildren.

A son, Andrew B. Edelen, died in 1989.

Donn M. Chown

Foreign Service Officer

Donn M. Chown, 86, a Foreign Service officer assigned to the U.S. Information Service from 1961 until retiring in 1981, died Nov. 9 at an assisted-living facility in Savannah, Ga. He had lung cancer.

He lived off and on in the Washington area, in Vienna, Arlington and Stevensville, Md., from 1961 until moving to Savannah in 2001.

A native of Grand Rapids, Mich., Mr. Chown received a bachelor's degree in arts and a master's degree in music, both from the University of Michigan.

He served in the Army, assigned to Armed Forces Radio, during World War II.

He was a radio and television manager in New York and Michigan before moving to the Washington area.

At the USIS, he was chief of the English-language division of Voice of America and later was assigned as a liaison officer in Indonesia and a cultural affairs attache in Tokyo.

He also volunteered to arrange orchestral and concert works for the Air Force and Navy bands and the U.S. Naval Academy Band.

His marriage to June M. Chown ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Yasuko Chown of Savannah, whom he married in 1974; three children from his first marriage, Donn II, of Herndon, Toni Olds of Savannah and Lynn Stratton of Springfield; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Jean Maclay Garvey

Food Service Chief

Jean Maclay Garvey, 53, a chauffeur for RMA Chauffeured Transportation and a former food service director for Guest Services Inc. of Washington, died Nov. 8. She collapsed at work and was pronounced dead at George Washington University Hospital. The cause of death is being investigated by the D.C. medical examiner's office.

Ms. Garvey was born in Winston-Salem, N.C., and graduated from Mars Hill College in North Carolina. She moved to this area in 1960.

She had been a chauffeur for about the past year. For about 30 years before that, she directed food service operations at the Department of State, Department of Energy, Census Bureau, National Gallery of Art, Department of Justice, National Institutes of Health, Department of Housing and Urban Development and Winterthur Museum.

She was a resident of Alexandria, a foster parent to teenage children and a volunteer with Parents Anonymous of Arlington.

Survivors include three brothers, Robert Michael Garvey of Swampscott, Mass., and Lee Beasley Garvey and William Sinclair Garvey, both of Arlington.