Harold N. Graves Jr.

World Bank Official

Harold N. Graves Jr., 87, a senior officer of the World Bank who retired in 1975 as executive secretary of the consultative group for international agricultural research, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 13 at his home in Somerset.

Mr. Graves joined the World Bank staff in 1950 as an editor and speechwriter. Later he was named director of public relations and then assistant director for new research. He was in charge of promoting relations with government and private organizations doing economic development assistance in poor countries. His final position at the bank included the financing of research to raise crop yields and farm income in third world countries.

Mr. Graves was born in Manila, where his parents had gone as young U.S. college graduates to help in the development of the Philippines. When the United States entered World War I, the family returned home and settled in the Washington area. He graduated from Central High School and Princeton University and entered Columbia Journalism School.

He worked in the Washington bureau of Pathfinder weekly news magazine until 1939, when he was recruited to set up and direct the Princeton Listening Center to record, analyze and disseminate information about wartime radio broadcasts from Japan and European belligerent countries.

Shortly before the United States entered World War II, he returned to Washington to help establish a similar activity for this country. Subsequently, he became assistant to the director of the newly established Foreign Broadcast Monitoring Service.

Beginning in 1943, he served in the Office of Strategic Services and was posted to Ceylon, India and Thailand to conduct covert operations against Japanese occupation forces.

After the war, he worked in the Washington bureau of the Providence Journal and Bulletin newspapers until 1950.

After retiring from the World Bank, Mr. Graves did consulting work for such organizations as the Ford Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, International Development Research Center and the Cholera Research Centre of Bangladesh.

He retired from consulting in 1981.

He played golf and did volunteer tutoring for elementary school children in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Judy of Somerset; and three sons, Stephen, of Albuquerque, Thomas, of Wheat Ridge, Colo., and Michael, of San Francisco.

Robert D. Bohn

Major General, Sports Club Owner

Robert D. Bohn, 80, a retired Marine Corps major general who founded the Courts Royal Raquetball Clubs in the 1970s and helped operate the five Washington area locations before selling the business in the early 1990s, died of pneumonia Nov. 3 at Fairfax Nursing Center.

He lived in Alexandria from the 1970s until moving to Falls Church in the 1990s.

Gen. Bohn, a native of Neenah, Wis., received a bachelor's degree from the University of San Francisco and a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.

He served aboard the USS Monterey during World War II in the Pacific and participated in the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

During the Korean War, he commanded a company that took part in battles around Pusan perimeter and participated in the lead assault during the landing at Inchon.

In the 1950s, he was Naval aide to Gen. Omar Bradley, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He later served as a tactics instructor at Camp Pendelton, Calif., and at Quantico. He later had commands at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

He commanded a regiment in Vietnam in the late 1960s in the Da Nang area.

In his final command before his retirement in 1974, he was commanding general of Camp Lejeune.

Among his decorations were two awards of the Legion of Merit, two Silver Stars and two Purple Hearts.

He founded Courts Royal in 1974 with Walter Cuenin. The business expanded to locations in Alexandria, Merrifield, Richmond, Bethesda and Gaithersburg.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Anne M. Serocca of Falls Church; two daughters, Barbara Kostial of Remer, Minn., and Nancy Kellogg of Northborough, Mass.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Norman Brown Mumaw


Norman Brown Mumaw, 87, who retired as vice president and treasurer of Kiplinger Washington Editors Inc., died of cardiac arrest Nov. 15 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Mumaw, who lived in Kensington, was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and George Washington University, where he studied accounting. He became a certified public accountant, and from 1937 to 1944, he was employed by the Washington accounting firm of Councilor, Buchanan and Mitchell.

During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific, then in 1946 returned to Washington and joined Kiplinger Washington Editors, whose publications specialize in government, business and economics. He remained in the Naval Reserve until 1951.

About 20 years ago Mr. Mumaw retired from Kiplinger.

Mr. Kiplinger was a director of the Washington Board of Trade and a member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis and the American Legion.

He was a member of Grace Reformed Church in Washington and a past president of the National Capital Orchid Society of Washington. His avocations included fishing, travel, golf and growing orchids.

His wife of 62 years, Florence Alma Stopsack Mumaw, died in February.

Survivors include three children, Jean Whitmore of Huntington Beach, Calif., Carole and Robert Mumaw, both of Kensington; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Bernadette Ann Adams

Data Processor

Bernadette Ann Adams, 79, a data processor for the National Geographic Society in the 1980s, died Nov. 9 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville. She had pneumonia and peritonitis.

Mrs. Adams, a New York native, moved to North Potomac in 1972.

Her husband of 36 years, Dwight James Adams, died in 1980.

Survivors include two daughters, Patricia Adams of Monterey, Va., and Jeanne Apgar of Mill Gap, Va.; a son, Dwight Jr. of Pittsfield, Maine; and five grandchildren.

Gaylord W. Ness

NRA Official

Gaylord W. Ness, 77, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who was director of the law enforcement activities division at the National Rifle Association when he retired in 1994 after a 21-year career with the group, died of complications of kidney disease Nov. 13 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

He had lived in the Washington area since 1963 and in Falls Church since 1973.

Mr. Ness, a native of Jamestown, N.D., was a chemistry graduate of Jamestown College.

He served in Europe and the Pacific during World War II and in Korea during the war there. He retired from the Army in 1973 as a military intelligence officer.

He was a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

He also was a member of Columbia Baptist Church in Falls Church.

His wife, Betty Ness, whom he married in 1945, died in 1997.

Survivors include two children, Mark, of Falls Church, and Debbie Giambrone of Herndon; and two grandchildren.

Blair P. Overton III


Blair P. Overton III, 64, a retired Prince George's County schoolteacher, administrator and coach, died Nov. 13 in an auto accident in Anne Arundel County. Police said his auto was hit by a truck on Route 3 at the entrance to Crofton.

Mr. Overton began his professional career as a Prince George's elementary school physical education teacher in 1962. Later he coached football, golf, track and wrestling at Crossland High School. Since 1968, he had been a pupil accounting officer with the County Board of Education. This work included demographics and the location of new educational facilities.

Mr. Overton, who lived in Crofton, was born in Baltimore. He graduated from Shepherd College in West Virginia, where he played varsity football and baseball. He received a master's degree in education from George Washington University.

In retirement he raised puppies, did volunteer work for Guiding Eyes for the Blind and grew bonsai trees.

In Crofton, he was a Boy Scout leader and a coach of youth sports teams.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Winifred of Crofton; two sons, Blair P. IV of Columbia and Scot Caldwell of Ellicott City; and two grandsons.