1. Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring has started construction of an additional 210,000 square feet of space and renovation of 155,000 square feet of existing space. The project will include a new 520-car garage, two new floors and a new emergency department. Projected completion: 2007.
2. Washington Suburban in Bethesda opened a 100,000-square-foot outpatient medical center in North Bethesda last February. The new building includes a retail pharmacy, a 17,000-square-foot outpatient surgery center and a radiation therapy center.
3. Washington Adventist in Takoma Park expects to begin a major expansion to the existing hospital in late 2003 or early 2004. Plans call for an emergency department, 65,000 square feet of office space and a parking garage.
4. Shady Grove Adventist in Rockville plans to begin an expansion in early 2004 of its existing hospital that will provide 280,000 square feet of new and renovated space. The four-story expansion calls for an expanded emergency department and neonatal intensive care unit.
5. Shady Grove Adventist is applying to state officials to begin work in 2003 or 2004 on a 30,000-square-foot satellite emergency room in Germantown. It would be a 24-hour facility.
6. Montgomery General in Olney started a $6.2 million, 34,000-square-foot expansion last October that is scheduled for completion next month. The two-floor expansion includes a new critical-care unit. In 2001, Montgomery General opened a new radiation therapy center adjacent to the hospital.