These are among the next generation of standout players in Prince George's County:
* Moni Akintunde, Laurel: The 5-foot-9 junior power forward averaged 13.7 points, 15 rebounds and 4 blocks per game last season to lead Laurel to a 14-10 finish after going 6-13 in 2000-01.
* Alisha Battle, Fairmont Heights: The 5-7 senior guard-forward will be counted on heavily to lead the Hornets to their second 2A South Region title in the past three seasons. She averaged 18.4 points, 5 assists and 4 steals per game.
* Wanisha Smith, Riverdale Baptist: The 6-0 junior point guard should have an immediate impact for the Crusaders after transferring from Fairfield (Ohio) High, where she averaged 25.2 points, 14 rebounds and 6 assists per game and was named the Ohio Division I Player of the Year by the Associated Press.
* Melissa Washington, Largo: The 6-5 senior center averaged 11.5 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks per game last season. She will play for Wake Forest next season.
* Chauntise Wright, McNamara: The 6-3 junior center averaged 14.4 points, 12 rebounds and a team-high 5 blocks per game last year to lead the Mustangs to the semifinals of the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference tournament.