Dolores M. Kervick

Nurse Dolores M. Kervick, 84, a World War II Army nurse who treated battle casualties at hospitals in England and Germany, died Dec. 1 at Prince William Hospital after a stroke suffered at her Manassas home.

She was born in Melrose, Mass., and graduated from New England Baptist School of Nursing. She accompanied her husband, Army Col. William L. Kervick Jr., to military posts in the United States and Germany when he was on active duty. He died in 1987.

Mrs. Kervick first came to the Washington area in the 1950s and lived in Alexandria. She had lived in Manassas for the past 35 years. She was a gardener, baker and bowler and a member of the Lomand Lassies bowling team in Manassas.

Survivors include four children, Barbara Cole of Alexandria, William L. Kervick III of Manassas, Susan A. Kervick of Woodbridge and Mary Anne Base of Spotsylvania; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Daniel Randolph Cole Jr.

Lawyer Daniel Randolph Cole Jr., 61, a lawyer who was a partner in the Washington real estate law firm of Krooth & Altman, died of cancer Nov. 15 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Cole had been at the firm since 1975 and before then worked for the Department of Housing and Urban Development as director of housing for the D.C. office.

A native Washingtonian, he graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School, Washington & Lee University and George Washington University law school. He also served in the Army Reserve.

He was a member of the religious school board at Washington Hebrew Congregation and a volunteer coach of Montgomery County youth soccer teams.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Kathy Cole, and two children, Lauren and Danny, all of Bethesda.

Sylvia Agyeman Asamoah

Cashier Sylvia Agyeman Asamoah, 33, a cashier at Lowe's home improvement store in Herndon since the late 1990s, died of a heart attack Nov. 10 at Inova Emergency Care Center in Herndon.

Mrs. Asamoah, a native of Ghana, moved to the Washington area in the late 1980s, settling in Centreville. She was a graduate of the University of Science and Technology in Ghana.

She was a member of New Life Charismatic Baptist Church in Springfield, where she was in the choir and had led services.

Survivors include her husband, Frederick Asamoah, and their son, Elikim, of Centreville; her brother, the Rev. Steven Agyeman of Springfield; her parents, Ellen and Samuel Agyeman, and 10 brothers and seven sisters, all of Ghana.

Catherine R. Byrnes

Administrative Assistant Catherine R. Byrnes, 66, an administrative assistant until last year at the Northern Virginia Center of Virginia Technical Institute's public administration department, died of breast cancer Dec. 4 at Hospice of Northern Virginia. She lived in McLean.

Starting in the late 1960s, Mrs. Byrnes worked for organizations that included Xeron, Intelsat, Communications Satellite Corp. and George Mason University law school in Arlington. She was also an assistant to Fairfax County Supervisor Lilla Richards and assisted her husband, William Byrnes, in his unsuccessful 1995 campaign for a seat on the board.

Mrs. Byrnes was a graduate of the University of the Arts in her native Philadelphia. She was a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church in McLean, the McLean Citizens Association and the Great Falls Players.

In addition to her husband, of McLean, survivors include twin daughters, Jennifer Byrnes of McLean and Suzanne Byrnes of Fairfax; a sister, Mary Ann Fields of Clifton; and a brother, Ernest J. Rollings III of Florence, S.C.

Josephine Goffredi Nealon

VA Official Josephine Goffredi Nealon, 85, who retired from the Department of Veterans Affairs in 1995 as staff assistant to the operations support director of the National Cemetery Administration, died Nov. 19 at Washington Hospital Center. She had heart ailments.

Mrs. Nealon, who lived in Chevy Chase, worked for the federal government for 52 years. During 22 years with the Cemetary Administration, she also served as personnel director.

Mrs. Nealon was a native of Olivebridge, N.Y., and a graduate of the State University of New York at New Paltz. She taught in New York and Washington before joining the War Department in 1942 as a junior clerk stenographer. She later supervised correspondence during the post-war repatriation and combatants reburial program.

Her honors included the VA Distinguished Career Award.

Mrs. Nealon was a member of the Woman's Board at Providence Hospital and a volunteer in the hospital gift shop.

Her husband of 30 years, William Nealon, died in 1981.

Survivors include a sister, Angela Goffredi of Chevy Chase.

Earl Nelson Prothero

Salesman Earl Nelson Prothero, 77, who retired in 1990 from the sales staff of Marlow Furniture in Forestville, died Dec. 2 at his Rockville home. He had cancer and had suffered strokes.

Mr. Prothero was a native of St. Louis who served in the Navy during World War II on destroyers in the Pacific. He remained in the Navy reserve and was recalled to similar service during the Korean War.

He worked until about 1970 as a sales contractor for the armament division of Universal Match Corp., initially in St. Louis and later in the Washington area. He was with Levitt's Furniture in Rockville for four years before joining Marlow.

His interests included gardening.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Joan Prothero of Rockville; seven children, Pam Millerand and Greg Prothero, both of Gaithersburg, Rick Prothero of Belair, Md., David Prothero of Virginia Beach, Denice Fitts of Walkersville, Lynn Wilkin of Lexington Park and Lisa Ash of Odenton; a brother; 22 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

His youngest son, Baltimore County police sergeant Bruce A. Prothero, was fatally shot while on duty in February 2000.

Harry Latham Wills

Safety Specialist Harry Latham Wills, 69, a civilian with the Naval Ordnance Station in Indian Head from the late 1950s to early 1980s who retired as a safety specialist who helped in the safe handling of explosive materials, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 4 at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park.

Mr. Wills, a La Plata resident, was born in Leonardtown. He was a graduate of Lackey High School in Indian Head. He served in the Army from 1954 to 1956 as a military police officer in New Mexico.

His avocations included hunting, fishing, oystering and crabbing.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Mary Lou Brown Wills of La Plata; a daughter, Debra Knorr of Silver Spring; two brothers, Doyne R. Wills Jr. of Panama City, Fla., and Charles W. Wills of Indian Head; a sister, Mollie Johnson of Indian Head; and four grandchildren.

Joyce E. Golding

Travel Agency Manager Joyce Engelman Golding, 74, who spent more than 20 years working at travel agencies around McLean, predominately at Horizon Travel Agency where she retired as manager in 1999, died Nov. 27 at her home in McLean. She had lung cancer.

Mrs. Golding had cancer for 3 1/2 years and spoke about patient care to first-year medical students at Georgetown University Medical School in 2001. She was a member of Life with Cancer, a support program.

She was born in Pelham Manor, N.Y., and in 1948 received an associates degree in dramatic arts from Stratford College in Danville, Va., where she was treasurer of the student body and a cheerleader.

She worked for Terry Tunes in New York doing drawing and etchings for early television series before her marriage. She accompanied her husband on his assignments until settling in the Washington area in 1965.

She did volunteer work at the Jewish Community Center in Annandale, and she was a member of the 55 and Over Club, a social group.

Her avocations included wine tasting, mah-jongg and bowling.

Her husband, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Edwin I. Golding, whom she married in 1950, died in 1990.

Survivors include four children, Judi Golding of West Chester, Pa., Sue Golding of England, Frank Justin Golding of McLean and Kenneth Blake Golding of New York.

William Ray Wolfe Jr.

Metro Employee William Ray Wolfe Jr., 87, who worked for what became Metro from the mid-1930s to about 1990 and retired from the office of the treasurer where he helped review daily income, died Nov. 28 at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park. He had renal failure and pneumonia.

Mr. Wolfe, a Hyattsville resident, was a bus driver and transit police officer earlier in his career.

He was born in Mill Hill, Pa., and moved to the Washington area in the mid-1930s.

His first wife, Martha Fritz Wolfe, whom he married in 1936, died in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Lois Davison-Wolfe, whom he married in 1987, of Hyattsville; two children from his first marriage, William R. Wolfe III of Rockville and Marjorie Lee Turpie of Poolesville; a sister; and 10 grandchildren.