Skate Parks Inspire Retro Boarders
* Sparked by their children's enthusiasm for the sport and lured by new skate parks like the one in Charles County, many aging boomer skateboarders are rolling back the clock and combining old-school boarding with Generation Y maneuvers.
Authorities Looking for Academy Administrator
* Charles County authorities were trying to locate Peter R. Ferguson, the fired administrator of the Potomac Heights Christian Academy in Indian Head. An audit at the Baptist academy revealed thousands of dollars missing, although authorities did not say specifically that Ferguson is a suspect.
Defendant in Online Sex Case Testifies
* George P. Chambers of La Plata, a weapons designer for the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Indian Head, is on trial in Baltimore for soliciting sex from an FBI agent posing online as a teenage cheerleader. Chambers testified that he thought the cheerleader was an adult because people regularly misrepresent themselves in Internet chat rooms. On Friday, jurors said they were deadlocked and could not reach a verdict.
-- Thursday and Saturday
Early Snowstorm Closes Schools, Clogs Roads
* Winter arrived early in the Washington region, including Southern Maryland, where six inches of snow, sometimes mixed with ice and sleet, closed schools for two days and made for treacherous going on most streets and roads.
Assessment Test Results Not Promising
* The first results of the Maryland High School Assessment exam revealed that thousands of low-income and minority students are not prepared to pass the new test that will be required for a high school diploma beginning in 2007.