Lillian 'Jerry' Clements

Medical Manager

Lillian Blanche "Jerry" Clements, 94, who managed the medical practice of her husband, Dr. William H. Clements, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 7 at her home in Hyattsville, where she had lived for the past 50 years.

Mrs. Clements was born in North Braddock, Pa., and moved to Washington as a child. She graduated from Eastern High School and attended George Washington University. She competed in interscholastic track and field events while in school, and she played tennis in area tournaments.

In the 1920s, she was a sports reporter at the old Washington Times under the byline Jerry Martin. Later, she wrote for the old Washington Herald under the byline Joanne.

Mrs. Clements was a member of the Capitol Hill History Club, the Capitol Hill Garden Club, the P.E.O. Sisterhood, the National League of American Pen Women, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the West River Yacht Club Buoy Belles, the Potomac River Power Squadron Gulls, the Prince George's County Historical Society and the Providence Hospital Women's Board.

She did needlework and Japanese flower arranging.

She married Clements in 1929 and managed his practice on Capitol Hill and later in Hyattsville until he died in 1968.

Survivors include three children, Nancy Freedom of Pleasanton, Calif., Patricia Graham of Hyattsville and Bill Jr. of Cheverly and Cobb Island, Md.; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Raymond August Heindl

Bureau of Mines Official

Raymond August Heindl, 82, who worked for the Bureau of Mines from 1942 to 1980 and retired as chief of the nonferrous metals division, died Dec. 3 at his home in Silver Spring after a stroke.

He was born in Niagara Falls, N.Y., and grew up in Washington. He was a graduate of Wilson High School and a chemical engineering graduate of George Washington University.

He did volunteer work for Meals on Wheels and the neighborhood watch group in the Hillandale section of Silver Spring.

His memberships included St. Camillus Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Marylyn Morris Heindl of Silver Spring; three children, Josephine Cecilia Cotterman of Newark, Del., Raymond Albert Heindl of Euclid, Ohio, and William Adams Heindl of San Diego; a sister, Mary Louise Reynolds of Decatur, Ga.; a brother, Casper Erwin Heindl of Potomac; and five grandchildren.

A son, John Raymond Heindl, died in 1987.

Jule Peak Foster

NSA Employee

Jule Peak Foster, 57, a Columbia resident and electrical engineer who had done cryptology work for the National Security Agency since the 1970s, died Nov. 29 at Lynn House nursing facility in Alexandria. He had cancer.

Mr. Foster was a native of Bakersfield, Calif., and a graduate of the University of New Mexico. He worked for General Dynamics Corp. in Fort Worth and served in the Air Force for four years.

He was a member of the Association of Old Crows, the Arundel Yacht Club and the Columbia Christian Science Society.

Survivors include his mother, Gertrude Foster of Oklahoma City; and a sister.

Laura Duffy French


Laura Warner Duffy French, 89, reference librarian at the Takoma Park Library in Maryland from 1963 to 1973, died Dec. 5 at her home in Mount Vernon, Md., after a stroke.

Mrs. French was a native of Fowler, Ind., who attended Butler University and graduated from Franklin College, both in Indiana. She did graduate work in library science at Catholic University.

Mrs. French lived in the Washington area on and off between 1941 and 1976, when she moved to Somerset County, Md.

She was a volunteer nursing aide with the Red Cross during World War II and a volunteer at Takoma Park Elementary School and the city library. She was member of Pi Beta Phi social sorority and Theta Sigma Phi journalism honor society.

Her husband of 45 years, Ralph Ellsworth French, died in 1982.

Survivors include three children, Jennifer Saloma and George French, both of Takoma Park, and Tom French of Santa Cruz, Calif.; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Deborah Ann Constant

Administrative Assistant

Deborah Ann Constant, 43, an administrative assistant with Child Cardiology Associates in Fairfax, where she had worked for six years, died of a heart ailment Dec. 4 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. She lived in Centreville.

Mrs. Constant was a native of Arlington and a graduate of George C. Marshall High School.

She worked for A&P food stores, Firemen's Fund Insurance and Alexis Insurance Co. earlier in her career. She participated in America's Walk for Diabetes.

Her marriage to Larry Cornwell ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Alan Constant of Centreville; two children from her first marriage, Shane and Jason Cornwell, both of Falls Church; her mother, Joan Fields of Sterling; a brother, John Fields Jr. of Falls Church; and a sister, Roxanne Thomas of Sterling.

Harold Biller Pence


Harold Biller Pence, 85, an estimator who retired in 1991 after 36 years with Parking Management Inc., died of congestive heart failure Dec. 7 at his home in the Lincolnia section of Alexandria.

He was born in Broadway, Va., and raised in Alexandria. He worked at a poultry hatchery in Alexandria as a young man and later was a truck driver and auto mechanic.

He was a member of the administrative board at Lincolnia United Methodist Church, where he also was a youth counselor and a volunteer with the Boy Scouts.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mary Margaret Pence of Alexandria; three children, Mary Lou Carter of Rockville, Barbara Lee Galanos of Clifton and Steve Pence of Alexandria; and three grandchildren.

Benjamin Franklin Wise

Washington Restaurant Co-Owner

Benjamin Franklin "Frank" Wise, 83, who co-owned and operated Dave's Grill in Washington from the late 1930s to 1971, died Dec. 4 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mr. Wise's co-owners were his sister and brother-in-law, Frances and Dave Ayers.

He was born in Bushwood in St. Mary's County and did fishing, crabbing and oystering before becoming involved in the restaurant business.

He served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II, and his decorations included the Bronze Star.

He was a member of the American Legion and Mount Rainier Christian Church.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Marguerite Sturgis "Margie" Wise of Silver Spring; two children, Carolyn Farmerie of Burke and Richard Wise of Ashburn; and four grandsons.

Richard Susumu Yamamoto

Research Scientist

Richard Susumu Yamamoto, 82, a retired National Institutes of Health research scientist who specialized in cancer research, died of pneumonia Dec. 7 at Suburban Hospital.

Dr. Yamamoto retired from NIH in 1984 after 28 years of service. He worked in the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases but concentrated on cancer research. He wrote several articles for literary journals.

Dr. Yamamoto, a resident of Kensington, was born in Hawaii and attended the University of Hawaii. During World War II, he served in the Army's 442nd Regimental Combat Team, which was made up of Japanese American volunteers. The unit fought in Europe, and Dr. Yamamoto received a Bronze Star with three clusters.

He settled in Washington after the war, graduated from George Washington University and received a doctorate in biochemistry from Johns Hopkins University.

In retirement, Dr. Yamamoto worked on archival material concerning the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

Survivors include his wife, Fumi Fuke Yamamoto, and a daughter, Joyce Casso, both of Kensington; and three grandchildren.

John Arthur Huber

Marine Sergeant

John Arthur Huber, 78, a retired Marine Corps master gunnery sergeant and computer systems analyst, died of a lung ailment Dec. 2 at his home at Greenspring Village in Alexandria.

He was a native of Arlington and a graduate of Washington-Lee High School. He joined the Marines in 1943 and served in the South Pacific during World War II. He was awarded two Purple Hearts.

After he retired from the Marine Corps in 1964, he worked for the Department of Housing and Urban Development and at Marine Corps headquarters. He retired again in 1972.

In Alexandria, he was a volunteer with the Alive! charitable organization, Meals on Wheels and five homeless shelters and was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church.

His first wife, Winifred Turner, died in 1957.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia Dwyer Huber of Alexandria; four children from his first marriage, Linda Wilson and John Wesley Huber, both residents of Alexandria, Sandra Saunders of Fredericksburg and Robert W. Huber of Los Angeles; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Raymond Joseph Glasgow

Meat Company Owner

Raymond Joseph Glasgow Sr., 82, who operated Union Meat Co. with his brother at Capitol Hill's Eastern Market for more than 40 years, died Dec. 8 after heart surgery at Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in College Park.

Mr. Glasgow and his brother William Earl "Ike" Glasgow began the meat stand in 1946. The Glasgow family has long been associated with the historic market at Seventh and C streets SE, where family members also operate Market Lunch and a fish stand. Raymond Glasgow retired in 1988. His brother died last year.

Raymond Glasgow was born in Washington and raised in Hyattsville. He was a graduate of Hyattsville High School and studied chemical engineering at the University of Maryland.

He served in the Army in Africa, Germany, Italy and France during World War II.

Mr. Glasgow coached and sponsored the Little League baseball team at the College Park Boys Club and was club equipment director. He was a member of the vestry at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Hyattsville, where he also taught Sunday school. He had a second home in Ocean City, and his interests included fishing.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Patricia Glasgow of College Park; three children, Sandie Glasgow of Lanham, Raymond "Butch" Glasgow Jr. of Davidsonville and Andrew Glasgow of Owings; three bothers, Charles W. Glasgow of Silver Spring, Norman M. Glasgow of Potomac and Louis A. Glasgow of Clarksville; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Dudley Spruill

Film Executive

Dudley Spruill, 84, the former executive director and general manager of Byron Motion Pictures in Washington, died Dec. 9 at Suburban Hospital after a series of strokes.

Mr. Spruill, a longtime resident of Bethesda and North Potomac, was born in Creswell, N.C. He moved to Washington as a child and attended American University.

During World War II, he served in the Navy at the Naval Photographic Center in Anacostia.

For about 25 years until the mid-1970s, he worked for Byron Motion Pictures, which did post-production work for educational and governmental training films. Later, he was president of the Association of Cinema and Video Laboratories and then executive director of the association.

He was a governor and fellow of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

He was a founding member and former junior warden and vestryman at St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Bethesda.

His wife of 57 years, Virginia Lydia Nicklin Spruill, died in 1997.

Survivors include three children, Dudley Brian Spruill of California, Nancy Spruill Southmayd of Potomac and Jeffrey Allen Spruill of Falls Church; and seven grandchildren.

William E. Mathews

Police Lieutenant

William E. Mathews, 68, a Prince George's County police lieutenant who retired in 1989 as assistant commander of the district that includes Seat Pleasant and the region just east of the District of Columbia, died of a stroke Dec. 4 at Civista Medical Center in La Plata.

Lt. Mathews, a resident of Charlotte Hall, was born in Houtzdale, Pa., and moved to the Washington area as a teenager. He graduated from Suitland High School.

He joined the Prince George's police department in 1956 and held positions of increasing responsibility, including assignments in the Patrol Division, Personnel Office, Communications and the Detective Bureau.

During his career, the department grew from 150 sworn officers to an authorized strength of 1,400. Innovations in this period included K-9 units and the experimental use of helicopters for police work.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Barbara Mathews of Charlotte Hall; two sons, Robert Mathews of La Plata and Scott Mathews of Prince Frederick; a sister, Betty Ann Boswell of Lusby; and four grandchildren.

Mack Curtin Wolfe Jr.

State Dept. Technician

Mack Curtin Wolfe Jr., 79, a State Department communications technician from the late 1940s to 1980 who designed and maintained radio, coding and other communications equipment, died Dec. 8 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had congestive heart failure.

Mr. Wolfe worked for State in Europe, Central America, Asia and Africa before settling in the Washington area in 1966. He did consulting work for State in the 1980s.

He was born in Williamsport, Pa., and grew up in Reading, Pa. He attended Penn State University.

He served in the Army as a radio operator in Europe during World War II.

He moved from Alexandria to the Greenspring Village retirement facility in Springfield about 2 1/2 years ago. He was a member of Greenspring Village's genealogy, computer, photography and painting clubs.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Monique Crasnier Wolfe of Springfield; four children, Annik M. Wolfe of Seattle, Dr. Pierre P. Wolfe of Centreville, Harold J. Wolfe of Framingham, Mass., and Danielle J. Vaughn of Edgewater; a sister; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Mona Ducret-Joseph

Spa Manager

Mona Ducret-Joseph, 87, who worked for 35 years at the Elizabeth Arden Beauty Salon in Washington before retiring in 1986 as manager of its exercise and body massage department, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 5 at her home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Ducret-Joseph was born in Paris and raised there and in Washington. After studying ballet at a conservatory in Paris, she traveled with the Monte Carlo Russian Ballet and danced independently throughout Europe. At the start of World War II, she fled Berlin, where she had been performing, and volunteered as a secretary for the Iroquois Ambulance Corps in France.

She moved to Canada, then Boston before settling in the Washington area at the end of the war. She spent about four years in Tunisia, where her former husband, a pilot, headed operations for Trans World Airlines. She came back to Washington in 1949 and worked for about six months as a secretary at the French Embassy.

She did volunteer work for the greenhouse and nursery branch of the Smithsonian Institution and for a Fairfax County program to provide pet therapy at nursing homes. She was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church and the International Orchid Society.

Her marriage to Nick Joseph ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son.