To donate, here's a selection of Web sites to get you started:
* Charity.com: Has charity news and information for donating online.
* Charitychoices.com: Profiles more than 300 local and national charities that meet standards for inclusion in the Combined Federal Campaign. Online donating offered.
* Charitygift.com: Allows donations in honor of friends, families or causes. Also offers a gift registry for contributions.
* Networkforgood.org: Has information on thousands of charities nationally. In addition, lets people set up a "charity wish list" and figure out how donations will affect their taxes.
* OPM.gov/cfc: Gives information on charities included in the Combined Federal Campaign.
* Pointsoflight.org: Offers information on volunteering and access to thousands of volunteer centers around the country that match people with charities.
* TouchDC.org: Has information about 25,700 charities in the Washington area. Volunteers can sign up as well.
* Unitedwaynca.org: Offers information on local nonprofits and online giving.
* Webcharity.com: Allows donations of new and used items, which are then sold online to benefit charity.
To check out a charity before writing that check:
* Charitynavigator.org: Evaluates the finances of more than 1,700 large charities by examining their tax filings.
* Give.org: Has in-depth reports on hundreds of charitable organizations that solicit nationally. Also has tips on how to donate wisely.
* Guidestar.org: Has financial records for more than 850,000 nonprofits.