Twenty locations, including museums and galleries, in Frederick city and county are participating Saturday in Museums by Candlelight, featuring self-guided tours, seasonal music, portrayals of characters from the past, traditional crafts, hearth cooking and hands-on children's activities. Visit many locations or just a few. It is not necessary to visit the museums in any particular order.
Museums by Candlelight will take place 2-7 p.m. Saturday, at locations listed below. Admission is free; donations are accepted.
City of Frederick
* The Children's Museum of Rose Hill Manor Park, 1611 N. Market St.
* Frederick County Fire and Rescue Museum and Preservation Society, 531 N. Market St.
* The Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St.
* Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center, 40 S. Carroll St.
* National Museum of Civil War Medicine, 48 E. Patrick St.
* Maryland Room, C. Burr Artz Central Library, 110 E. Patrick St.
* Steiner House, 368 W. Patrick St.
* Roger Brooke Taney House, 121 S. Bentz St.
* Key Memorial Chapel, Mount Olivet Cemetery, 515 S. Market St.
* Hessian Barracks, Maryland School for the Deaf, 101 Clarke Pl.
* Prospect Hall Mansion, St. John's Literary Institution, 889 Butterfly Lane.
* Seton Shrine Center, 333 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg.
* Cunningham Falls State Park Visitor Center and the Catoctin Furnace, 14039 Catoctin Hollow Rd., three miles west of Thurmont, off Route 77.
* Gambrill Mansion, 4801-A Urbana Pike, Frederick.
* Middletown Valley Historical Society, 305 W. Main St., Middletown.
* Dahlgren Chapel, Alternate Route 40, across from South Mountain Inn at Turner's Gap on South Mountain.
* Ostertag Farm, 11847 Easterday Rd., Myersville.
* South Mountain Heritage Society, 5 E. Main St., Burkittsville.
* George Alfred Townsend Museum, Gathland State Park, 900 Arnoldstown Rd., Burkittsville.
* Brunswick Railroad Museum, 40 W. Potomac St., Brunswick.
-- Christine Swerda