Digital Squeezes Out Court Stenographers
* In the Circuit Court of Charles County, court stenographers making a record of proceedings in shorthand notes could soon be a thing of the past as most court cases are now recorded using a digitalized computer audio system.
Ehrlich Considers Merging Agencies
* Facing Maryland's worst financial crisis in a decade, Gov.-elect Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) is considering a plan to merge two Cabinet-level agencies that manage the state's environment: the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of the Environment.
Calvert Man, 82, Dies of Exposure to Cold
* The body of Samuel R. Parker, 82, of Prince Frederick was found in a ditch about five miles from his home last Saturday afternoon. Parker, who had Alzheimer's disease, had wandered away from his home early the day before.
Crash on Route 5 in Charles Kills Boy, 14
* Craig L. Bond Jr., 14, of Fort Washington was killed last Sunday morning, and his parents and siblings injured, when a van crossed the median on Route 5 in Charles County and crashed into their car.
Husband Admits Killing Wife's Paramour
* Michael Norman pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the Oct. 2001 shooting death of Alonzo D. Campbell in Waldorf. Prosecutors said Norman was upset over his wife's relationship with Campbell.