Anacostia Man Killed in Shooting

An Anacostia man was shot to death yesterday by an assailant who approached him in an apartment house parking lot and opened fire, apparently without speaking, witnesses said.

One witness said the man was tossing a football with his daughter and other children in the 1500 block of Butler Street SE when he was attacked around 5 p.m. Neighbors said the man lived nearby and was on Butler Street, which is behind the Frederick Douglass Home, to play with his daughter, who lived there.

Police were withholding the victim's identity until all of his relatives could be notified. Neighbors said the man appeared to be in his twenties.

The assailant "just walked right up to him and shot him," a neighborhood resident said. "After he fell, the man just stood over him and kept shooting, and all the kids playing outside ran away." The gunman then walked away, the witness said.

Two Powerball Players Win $100,000

No one hit the $218 million Powerball jackpot Saturday night, but two D.C. lottery players came within one little red ball of the big money and won $100,000, officials said yesterday.

The $100,000 winners have not been identified. One winning ticket was purchased at Towne Liquors, 1326 Wisconsin Ave. NW, and the other was bought at Circle 7 Express, 740 Kenilworth Ave. NE.

D.C. Lottery officials said 65 other tickets nationwide matched the five white balls -- numbers 5, 22, 34, 39 and 52 -- but did not have the red Powerball number of 30.

The jackpot for the Christmas night drawing should reach an estimated $280 million, making it the third-largest prize since Powerball was launched in 1992. The lottery is played in the District, 23 states (but not Virginia or Maryland) and the U.S. Virgin Islands.


Man, 40, Charged in Mother's Death

The 40-year-old son of a woman found dead inside her Wheaton home Saturday was arrested early yesterday and charged in her death, Montgomery County police said.

Police said preliminary indications were that Esperanza Marquez, 75, of 4001 Ferrara Dr. died of blunt-force trauma to the head. Police said she may have been dead for a day or more when her older son discovered her about 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

Court documents say that when Manuel Marquez Jr. arrived at the house, he found his younger brother, Walter Marquez, 40, sitting on their mother's living room couch watching television. Their mother's body was on the floor nearby.

Walter Marquez told his brother that she had fallen down the stairs, said Officer Derek Baliles, a Montgomery police spokesman. He then left the house.

Baliles said investigators found a large tree limb with dried blood near the front door, and a deputy medical examiner told police that the scene was inconsistent with a fatal fall.

Montgomery police found Walter Marquez at an undisclosed hospital shortly after midnight and charged him with first-degree murder, Baliles said. He was being held without bond last night at the Montgomery County jail.

Marquez family members declined to comment yesterday. According to court records, Walter Marquez had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and was not employed.

Arundel Boat Fire Under Investigation

Anne Arundel County fire officials are investigating a fire that caused about $50,000 in damage to a powerboat docked at a community pier near Annapolis on Saturday.

Lt. Frank Fennell said someone noticed the twin-engine, 37-foot boat engulfed in flames about 5 p.m. It was docked near the Wimbledon Farms community south of Annapolis, and Fennell said smoke was visible for a couple of miles.

No one was aboard the 28-year-old boat and no one was injured, he said, and none of the roughly 200 gallons of fuel in the tanks spilled.

Troopers Snare Pa. Kidnapping Suspect

A chase of a Pennsylvania kidnapping suspect ended in Carroll County yesterday morning after police threw tire-deflating spikes onto Route 140.

The chase, which reached speeds up to 135 mph, began in Littlestown, Pa., about 4:50 a.m. after 20-year-old John W. Robinson allegedly kidnapped a woman at knife point. She escaped the car on Pennsylvania Route 97 and was examined at an area hospital and released.

After hearing a broadcast to look out for Robinson's Mustang, Maryland State Police spotted the car fueling up at a gas station in Taneytown in Carroll County.

Police say Robinson filled up without paying and then fled onto Maryland Route 140. Six troopers were involved in the 17-minute chase, with assistance from a police helicopter.

The suspect was going 110 mph when police threw the spikes in the road. His tires shredded, and he pulled over and surrendered.

He was charged with destruction of property and theft. He is also being held as a fugitive from Pennsylvania on kidnapping, reckless endangerment and assault charges.


One Hurt, One Killed in Train Incident

One man was killed and another was injured when they were struck by a train in Roanoke on Saturday afternoon.

The accident occurred about 4:45 p.m. on a stretch of tracks in the northeastern area of the city, according to Roanoke police Sgt. A.S. Smith.

He said the two men were sitting on the tracks. As a westbound Norfolk Southern train approached, one man tried to get out of the way, but the other did not.

Susan Bland, manager of public relations for Norfolk Southern Railway, said the train's engineer saw the two men, blew the horn and tried to stop. The train moved forward about 500 feet before it stopped.

The first man was struck in the shoulder, but he refused treatment, Smith said. Smith said he would be charged with public intoxication.

Police said they would release the name of the man who was killed after they confirmed his identity.

"Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about the D.C. police. Now what I know scares the hell out of me."

-- John Aravosis, an Adams Morgan resident who has heard from several crime victims after complaining about the treatment he received after he was mugged. -- Page A1

Compiled from reports by staff writer Petula Dvorak, Martin Weil and Tom Jackman and the Associated Press.