Geraldine B. Goldthwaite

Teacher and Lawyer

Geraldine B. Goldthwaite, 82, who taught in Washington secondary schools from the 1950s to the 1970s and who worked as a real estate agent before receiving a law degree at age 72, died Dec. 19 at a hospice in West Palm Beach, Fla. She had lupus.

As a young woman, Mrs. Goldthwaite was a clerk-typist, librarian, welfare investigator and medical assistant. She later taught history and social studies courses at Spingarn Senior High School and Kelly-Miller Junior High School.

She retired in the mid-1970s as chairman of the humanities department at H.D. Woodson Senior High, where she also coached the "It's Academic" team.

After retiring, she studied for her real estate license and learned how to fly small planes. She sold real estate for the Red Carpet firm in Washington and Long and Foster in Langley Park.

In 1987, she read about the opening of a public-interest law school in the District.

"It was then that I realized that all of my previous experience and training had been pointing me in one direction all along," she told Washington Post columnist Courtland Milloy, who wrote about her career change.

In May 1992, she graduated from the D.C. Law School of the University of the District of Columbia. As class speaker, she shared the stage with retired U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice William J. Brennan, who gave the keynote address. After that, she worked for the D.C. corporation counsel's office and practiced law in the District.

Mrs. Goldthwaite was a native of Richmond and a graduate of Virginia Union University. She received a master's degree in education from Trinity College in Washington and a graduate certificate in Afro-Caribbean Studies from the University of the West Indies.

She was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha social sorority and the UDC law society.

Her marriage to Dr. Robert M. Beavers Sr. ended in divorce. Her second husband, Prince E. Goldthwaite, died in 1973.

Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Robert M. Beavers Jr. of Hinsdale, Ill., and Geraldine D. Lewis of West Palm Beach; two brothers, Llewellyn M. Brown of Silver Spring and Ronald L. Brown of Bedford, Va.; a sister, Marietta B. Gray of Richmond; five grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.

Norma Boothe


Norma Ruth Rogstad Boothe, 73, a Springfield resident who in the 1980s and 1990s worked as an in-home caregiver for people with disabilities, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 21 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

In Springfield, where Mrs. Boothe had lived since 1947, she was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church. She stitched quilts that were donated to the poor and helped organize fundraising events.

The Iowa native came to Washington in 1947 to work for the Defense Department as a procurement administrative assistant. She served in the Navy WAVES during the Korean War.

Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Hunter Boothe of Springfield; four children, Sheran Callahan of Springfield, David Boothe of Chesapeake, Va., and Joseph Boothe and Theodore Boothe, both of Manassas; two brothers; and seven grandchildren.

Dorothy Stevenson Stahl

Hill Staff Member

Dorothy Stevenson Stahl, 90, who had been a receptionist on Capitol Hill in the House and then Senate offices of Charles McC. "Mac" Mathias Jr. (R-Md.), died of pneumonia Dec. 20 at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington. She lived in Springfield.

Mrs. Stahl, who worked for Mathias for 12 years before retiring in the early 1970s, also had been active in his House and Senate campaigns.

She had served as state officers club president and Descendents of '76 chapter regent of the D.C. Daughters of the American Revolution. She also had served as Chapter Q president of PEO Sisterhood, was a charter member of the Lake Barcroft Women's Club and was a member of the Society of Daughters of Colonial Wars.

Mrs. Stahl, who spent the first 28 years of her life in her native Oakland, Md., lived in Pennsylvania, New York and California before settling in Arlington after World War II. She lived in Lake Barcroft before moving to Springfield in 2000.

In the 1950s, she worked for the Arlington public schools, serving for much of that time as secretary to the principal of Fairlington Elementary School. Over the years, in addition to working in political campaigns, she had assisted people in obtaining U.S. citizenship and had done genealogical research for her family and others.

Mrs. Stahl was a 48-year member of Annandale United Methodist Church and belonged to the United Methodist Women.

Survivors include her husband of 62 years, Kenneth, of Springfield; two children, Barbara Murray of Rockville, Va., and Nan Wachen of Westport, Conn.; two brothers; five grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Virginia Flory Cremeans


Virginia Flory Cremeans, 88, a former resident of Fairfax who edited short pieces for Reader's Digest that included "Life in These United States" and "Humor in Uniform," died Dec. 24 at a nursing home in Wooster, Ohio. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Cremeans lived in the Washington area off and on from 1951 to 1990, when she moved back to her native Wooster. She joined the Digest staff after graduating from the College of Wooster in 1936 and worked there full time until her marriage in 1940 to Dr. Charles D. Cremeans. She was a contract editor until 1986.

She accompanied her husband to postings with the Central Intelligence Agency to Cairo and London. He died in 1996.

Survivors include two daughters, Carlin Moorefield of Wooster and Jan Cremeans-Nelson of Annandale, and six grandchildren.

Grace Walker Washington

Centenarian and Beautician

Grace Walker Washington, 106, a Washington beautician for 30 years who retired from the Vogue Beauty Shop on Florida Avenue NW in the early 1960s, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 21 at the Stoddard Baptist Home, where she had lived since March.

Mrs. Washington was a 74-year member of Asbury United Methodist Church and a permanent resident of the District of Columbia since the 1920s. She was born in Urbana, in Frederick County, and had lived in the District with an aunt and uncle during portions of her childhood while attending D.C. public schools.

She was an unofficial oral historian of the past 75 years in Washington, with a trove of diverse stories ranging from baseball games at the old Griffith Stadium to the black community that once thrived in Georgetown.

She had volunteered at teas given at the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA and was a friend of Ionia Whipper, the physician who founded a home care facility for unwed mothers.

Mrs. Washington had received community service awards from the United Black Fund and the Washington and Vicinity Federation of Colored Women, of which she had been a member for 50 years.

Her marriage to Charles Walker ended in divorce in the early 1930s. Her second husband, James Washington, died in the early 1980s.

A son from her first marriage, Dr. Claude Gilmore Walker, died in 1972, and a daughter from her first marriage, Geraldine Reed, died in 1979.

Survivors include three grandchildren.

Aloysius R. Lujack

Business Owner

Aloysius R. Lujack, 82, who had been the owner and president of Surf Building and Maintenance Co. of Cottage City since the mid-1970s, died Dec. 26 at his home in Bethesda. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Lujack, a Pennsylvania native, came to this area in the early 1940s. He was a graduate of Georgetown University and was later drafted by the National Basketball Association. He served with the Army in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II.

In the 1950s, he worked for the Travelers Life Insurance Co. In the 1960s, he was a manufacturers' representative. In the early 1970s, he joined the Red Coats building and maintenance company, where he was a vice president before purchasing Surf.

Mr. Lujack, a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Bethesda, was a past president of the Bethesda Lions Club and the Washington Touchdown Club. He was a member of the Edgemoor Club in Bethesda and was a Washington Redskins fan. His hobbies included tennis.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Katherine, of Bethesda; six daughters, Ann McKenna of Annapolis, Kathleen Goodhue of Bethesda, Susan Tinsley of Darnestown, Jocelyn Burgess of Mount Airy, Christine O'Connell of Silver Spring and Roberta Buchanan of Frederick; a brother; two sisters; and 12 grandchildren.

John W. 'Jack' Griffin

Washington Lawyer

John W. "Jack" Griffin, 56, a Washington lawyer who specialized in corporate and securities law, mergers and acquisitions, died Dec. 26 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore after a bone marrow transplant. He had non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

At his death, Mr. Griffin was a partner in the Washington law firm of Duane Morris. Earlier, he had been a partner with Dickstein, Shapiro and Morin.

He came to Washington in 1968 and worked at the Securities and Exchange Commission during the day while attending Georgetown University law school at night. After receiving his law degree, he practiced with several firms.

In 2001, he underwent a bone marrow transplant, with his sister, Barbara Griffin of Norwood, Mass., as the donor. Shortly after that, he participated in a 10-mile Cub Scout bicycle trip with his son. At the age of 50, he went on a 28-day Outward Bound mountain-climbing trip in the state of Washington.

Mr. Griffin, a resident of McLean, was born in Boston. He graduated from Trinity College in Connecticut.

Survivors include his companion, Janet Goetz, and their son, Conor Michael Griffin Goetz, both of McLean. He was separated from his wife, Carolyn Griffin, with whom he had four children, all of whom survive: Jennifer Griffin, a Fox news correspondent assigned in Jerusalem, John Griffin of New York, and Caitlin Griffin and Catherine "Cassie" Griffin, both of Alexandria. Other survivors include his mother, Catherine Griffin of Norwood, his sister and two brothers, Michael Griffin of Boston and William Griffin of Edina, Minn.