George Jenkins Fleury Jr.

Surgeon, Georgetown Professor

George Jenkins Fleury Jr., 86, a general surgeon in Washington and McLean who retired from private practice in 1984, died of kidney failure at his home in McLean on Jan. 20.

Dr. Fleury was a clinical associate professor of surgery at Georgetown University Medical School from 1950 to 1980. He opened his surgical practice in Washington in 1950 and relocated to McLean in 1957.

He also was an amateur inventor and held patents on several medical devices.

He was born in Leonardtown and moved to Washington with his family as an infant. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School, Georgetown University and Georgetown medical school.

During World War II, he was a flight surgeon in an Army Air Forces bomb group squadron in the South Pacific.

After the war Dr. Fleury did surgical training at Georgetown University Hospital, the Graduate School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and the Lahey Clinic in Boston. He was awarded a fellowship in pathology at New England Deaconess Hospital in Boston.

His avocations included singing and harmonizing, and sailing. He had a second residence on Breton Bay in St. Mary's County.

A son, Bill Fleury, died in 1991.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Mimi Gloninger Fleury; seven children, Mimi Mayfield of Millwood, George Fleury of McLean, Kate Ryan, Jack Fleury and Peter Fleury, all of Falls Church, Anne Fleury of Annandale and Alice Kerns of Washington; a sister, Alice Zamanakos of Leonardtown; a brother, Albert Fleury of Chevy Chase; and 26 grandchildren.

Harry L. Durity


Harry L. Durity, 85, a Prince George's County lawyer who specialized in municipal law, died of pneumonia Jan. 9 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton.

In the 1960s, Mr. Durity was town attorney for Upper Marlboro. He was deputy Prince George's County attorney for 15 years and an assistant state's attorney. He was legal counsel to the Prince George's delegation to the Maryland General Assembly and later to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission. He was a justice of the peace for Prince George's and an Upper Marlboro town commissioner. He retired in the mid-1980s.

Mr. Durity, a resident of Upper Marlboro, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe and participated in the Battle of the Bulge.

After the war, he studied law while working as a title examiner, real estate agent and general contractor. He received a law degree from George Washington University.

He had been president of the Upper Marlboro Lions Club, chairman of the Prince George's Bicentennial Commission and a member of the Upper Marlboro Volunteer Fire Department and the Prince George's Democratic Club.

He was an amateur historian of Maryland, Prince George's and World War II and a member of the Windjammers, a musical society dedicated to the preservation of circus music.

His 28-year marriage to Betty Smith Durity ended in divorce.

His wife of 22 years, Carol Wells Durity, died in 2000.

Survivors include three sons from his first marriage, Dennis N. Durity of Upper Marlboro, G. Harry Durity of Greenwich, Conn., and Richard P. Durity of Denver; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.