Arthur J. Olsen

Journalist, Diplomat

Arthur J. Olsen, 82, a retired State Department Foreign Service officer and former correspondent for the New York Times, died of heart ailments Jan. 31 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Olsen was born on a ranch near Burns, Ore. He grew up in the San Francisco area. He was a graduate of Santa Clara University and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. During World War II, he was a captain in the Marine Corps and served in the Pacific.

After the war, Mr. Olsen went to work for what is now United Press International. He had assignments in New York, Washington, Latin America and the Caribbean.

In 1955, he joined the Times. After a brief period in New York, he was assigned to Bonn. In 1960, he reopened the Times bureau in Warsaw, which the Polish government had ordered closed in the 1950s. With Warsaw as his base, he traveled widely in Eastern Europe. He worked as bureau manager in both of his next posts, Bonn and Buenos Aires.

In 1965, Mr. Olsen joined the Foreign Service. From December 1972 to April 1974, he was charge d'affaires, or acting ambassador, of the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm. The Nixon administration had withdrawn its ambassador to Sweden because of outspoken criticism of U.S. policy in Vietnam by Olaf Palme, the Swedish prime minister.

Mr. Olsen later served as deputy chief of mission of the U.S. Embassy in Brussels and at the United Nations. He retired from the State Department's intelligence and research division in 1986.

Mr. Olsen was a member of Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired and the parish of the Catholic Church of the Epiphany in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, the former Graciela Virginia Gamio of Washington; two children, Christopher Olsen of York, Pa., and Patricia Matthews of Short Hills, N.J.; a brother, Bernard Olsen of Walnut Creek, Calif.; a sister, Mary Butler of Billings, Mont.; and two grandchildren.

Edith F. Beavan

Volunteer Group Executive

Edith Farrell Beavan, 81, former executive director of Mobile Medical Care, a Montgomery County volunteer group that provides medical treatment to the indigent, died Feb. 3 at a hospital in Greensboro, N.C., the town where a son lives. She had pancreatitis.

Mrs. Beavan, a Rockville resident, worked at Mobile Medical Care in the 1980s and 1990s. The group saw patients at church basements, shelters for the homeless and lobbies of buildings for the low-income elderly.

"It is a rewarding experience to see how much we can help," she told The Washington Post. "We hope we are keeping them out of emergency rooms."

She fought cuts in county human services funding and the assumption that there was little need for her services. "I have so many people who ask me: 'Are there really homeless in Montgomery County?' " she said.

She was born in Athens, Ga., and settled in the Washington area about 1940.

She did bookkeeping for the Army Map Service in the 1940s and fundraising in the 1960s and 1970s for Project HOPE, which runs hospital ships worldwide.

She was a member of Potomac United Methodist Church.

Her husband, B. Stanton Beavan, died in 1997.

Survivors include three sons, Bernard S. "Rick" Beavan Jr. of Greensboro, Laurence A. Beavan of Hatboro, Pa., and Joseph L. Beavan of Grand Rapids, Mich.; a sister; and seven grandchildren.

Donald C. Gordon

U-Md. History Professor

Donald C. Gordon, 91, who taught history at the University of Maryland for 35 years before retiring in 1981, died of kidney cancer Jan. 25 at Kent and Queen Anne's Hospital in Chestertown, Md.

His academic specialty was Britain and the British Empire, and he helped develop the British history program at Maryland. His major publications included three books, "The Australian Frontier in New Guinea," "The Dominion Partnership in Imperial Defense" and "The Moment of Power: Britain's Imperial Epoch." He had written scholarly articles and contributed to collective works. In 1957 and 1958, he was a Fulbright senior research scholar in Australia.

At Maryland, Dr. Gordon was a founding member of the Phi Beta Kappa chapter. He directed doctoral students on their dissertations.

Dr. Gordon was born in Melbourne, Australia. He immigrated to the United States early in life and became a U.S. citizen. He graduated from the College of William and Mary and received master's and doctoral degrees in history from Columbia.

In recent years, he had lived in Chestertown, where he gave lectures for the Kent County Historical Society. He taught courses at the Washington College Academy of Lifelong Learning.

Survivors include his wife, Norma, of Chestertown; two daughters, Ellen Pearlman of Santa Fe, N.M., and Vicky Broadus of Lexington, Ky.; and five grandchildren.

John C. Braund

Defense Official

John C. Braund, 83, who retired from the Defense Department in 1980 as director of the property systems division, died Feb. 1 at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington. He had pneumonia and congestive heart failure.

Mr. Braund, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Washington. He attended St. John's College High School and graduated from Catholic University, where he also received a master's degree in accounting.

He began his career in the 1930s as a bookkeeper at the Waggaman-Downey advertising firm in Washington. He served in the Army during World War II and was posted to Germany after the war. He was later a major in the Marine Corps reserve.

In 1946, he took an accounting job with the Veterans Administration. He became a budget analyst at the State Department in 1951 and moved to the General Services Administration the next year.

From 1953 to 1960, he worked at Marine Corps headquarters, where he was an administrative officer overseeing base commissaries and other retail operations. His later work with the Defense Supply Agency included studies for the comptroller's office and administration of the cost and pricing branch.

Mr. Braund was a trustee of the Japan-America Society of Washington and a member of Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in Alexandria. His interests included handball and tennis.

His marriages to Elsie Moyer and Carole Braund ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 10 years, Dorothy H. Braund of Alexandria; two children from his first marriage, John M. Braund of Summerville, S.C., and Leslie A. Geegan of Colorado Springs; two daughters from his second marriage, Sharon M. Gann and Christine M. Braund, both of Colorado Springs; four stepchildren; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.

James Stephen McFarland

Admiral, Executive

James Stephen McFarland, 67, a retired Navy rear admiral and a vice president in the Oracle Corp. Columbia offices since 1992, died of pancreatic cancer Feb. 1 at his home in Annapolis.

He had lived in Annapolis since the 1980s.

Admiral McFarland, a native of Portland, Ore., was a graduate of Lewis and Clark College there.

He served in the Navy from the 1950s until retiring in the early 1990s as deputy director of the National Security Agency. In his last command, he was involved in intelligence operations during the Persian Gulf War.

In the late 1980s, he was commander of the Naval Security Group in Washington and was deputy director of Naval Intelligence.

Earlier, he had served in Turkey, Spain, Japan and Vietnam, as well as Latin America, the Pacific and the Mediterranean.

Among his decorations was the Defense Distinguished Service Medal.

At Oracle, he was vice president for business operations in the firm's government, education and health division.

His marriage to Elsie Baker ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Paula A. Wiise of Annapolis; three children from his first marriage, Scott, of Corvallis, Ore., and Brett and Suzanne Price, both of Eastsound, Wash.; three children from his second marriage, Matthew, Jeffrey and Kelly McFarland, all of Annapolis; and three grandchildren.

Manfred H. 'Fred' Keilitz

ATF Official

Manfred Horst "Fred" Keilitz, 56, who spent 30 years with the Treasury Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and retired in 2000 as supervisor of the arson and explosives group of the Washington field division, died Jan. 25 at his home in Cumberland, Ohio. He had cancer.

Mr. Keilitz worked for ATF in Youngstown, Ohio, before settling in the Washington area in 1989. He was a member of an ATF national response team and an adviser to the District on arson response teams.

He moved from Sterling to Cumberland in 2000.

He was born in Cambridge, Ohio, and grew up in Cumberland. He was a biology graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College in Ohio.

Survivors include his wife of 13 years, Susan Lake Keilitz of Cumberland; two stepchildren, Scott Lake of Clearwater, Fla., and Sherry Lake of Tallahassee; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Marcella R. Dunlop

Photo Agency Executive

Marcella R. "June" Dunlop, 84, who from the 1950s to the 1980s was office manager and vice president of the Washington commercial photography agency founded by her husband, James R. Dunlop, died of cancer Feb. 2 at the Montgomery Hospice Casey House in Rockville.

She was born in Kensington, was raised in Washington and had lived in Chevy Chase since the 1950s.

Mrs. Dunlop was a 1936 graduate of McKinley Technical High School.

She was a graduate of the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Va.), which became James Madison University.

She taught in Winchester, Va., before returning to the Washington area.

Mrs. Dunlop also helped in the administration of two Washington area firms related to her family's business, Davis-Dunlop Inc., which specialized in studio photography, and Photo Techniques Inc., an equipment store.

She was a member of Columbia Country Club.

Her husband, whom she married in 1943, died in 1985.

Survivors include a sister, Helen C. Richardson of Silver Spring.

Harriett George Ekis


Harriett George Ekis, 77, a former teacher, died of lung cancer Feb. 3 at the National Lutheran Home in Rockville, where she was living.

Mrs. Ekis, a former resident of Wheaton, was born in Norfolk. She graduated from Goucher College. As a young woman, she was technical director and publicity director for WAAM in Baltimore. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1950s.

For 15 years in the 1960s and 1970s, she was a preschool and kindergarten teacher in the Lanham and Bowie area. For most of that time, she taught at Grace Lutheran Church School in Bowie and Ascension School in Lanham.

Her husband, Sigurds Ekis, died in 1981.

Survivors include three children, Pauline "Polly" Wilson of Springfield, Shirley Harrington of Annapolis and Christopher "Kip" Ekis of Bowie; and three grandchildren.

Carl A. Wilbur

Systems Programmer, Deacon

The Rev. Carl Augustine Wilbur, 75, a retired government systems programmer and Catholic deacon, died Feb. 3 at Suburban Hospital. He had cancer.

He retired in 1992 from Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he had done systems programming for about seven years. Earlier, he did similar work involving computers at the Education and Health and Human Services departments.

In the early 1990s, he set up the computer lab and taught computer classes at Holy Comforter-St. Cyprian School in Washington.

He was ordained a deacon in the early 1970s and did prison, youth and hospital ministry work for the Catholic Archdiocese of Arlington and the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington. He worked most recently at the National Institutes of Health.

He was a native of Spokane, Wash., and a graduate of Arizona State University. He also studied theology and philosophy at Seattle University and the University of Washington.

He taught English and journalism at schools in Canada and Washington state before settling in the Washington, D.C., area about 1960. He was a Bethesda resident.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Carmen Tuya Wilbur, and a son, Luke Wilbur, both of Bethesda.

Harry A. Epstein

Washington Businessman

Harry Aaron Epstein, 89, an executive with U.S. Window & House Cleaning Co. who also was active in real estate investing, died Feb. 3 at a rehabilitation center in Boca Raton, Fla. He had had a stroke in December.

Mr. Epstein, a resident of Boca Raton and Potomac, became his father-in-law's partner when he joined the company as president in 1940. He helped make the business one of the largest commercial contract maintenance companies in Washington and retired as board chairman in 1967.

Over the years, he engaged in real estate investing with his brother-in-law, Louis Herschel. He was an early investor in commercial and residential projects developed by Charles E. Smith Cos., among others.

In 1968, he became part of a group that acquired the Washington area distribution rights for Sensormatic Electronics Corp., which developed anti-shoplifting devices and other "loss prevention" technology.

He was born in Poland and immigrated with his family to Newark when he was 8. He sold a chain of grocery stores in Newark before settling in the Washington area in 1940.

He was a member of Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Freda Herschel Epstein of Potomac; two children, Zoe Epstein Hereford and Michael David Epstein, both of Potomac; a brother; a sister; 11 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Charles T. Hellmuth Sr.

Insurance Broker

Charles T. Hellmuth Sr., 76, president for 30 years of the C.T. Hellmuth & Associates insurance brokerage, died of cancer Feb. 3 at his home in Potomac.

Mr. Hellmuth was born in Alexandria. He was a graduate of St. John's College High School and a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame. He served in the Air Force in Korea.

He began his career as an agent for Lincoln National Life Insurance Co. in Chevy Chase and later was regional group and pension sales manager for the East Coast.

Mr. Hellmuth was an annual winner of the Million Dollar Round Table designation and won national recognition in the industry for his company's sales records. National Lincoln named a sales award in his honor.

Mr. Hellmuth was a member of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac, Congressional and Columbia country clubs and John's Island Club in Vero Beach, Fla., where he had a second home.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Helen Muschlitz Hellmuth of Potomac and Vero Beach; four children, Patricia Hellmuth of Bethesda, Charles Hellmuth Jr. of Darnestown, Stephen Hellmuth of Short Hills, N.J., and James Hellmuth of Chevy Chase; three sisters; and nine grandchildren.

Malowe Case Ausen

Administrative Aide

Malowe Case Ausen, 92, a former administrative assistant in the registrar's office at Montgomery College, died Jan. 31 at Easton Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Ausen was born in Pueblo, Colo. She graduated from the University of Denver. In 1946, she married Julius J. Ausen. He died in 1972.

In 1951, the couple moved to Bethesda, and Mrs. Ausen began working as personnel chief of statistics and reports for the Montgomery County public school system. She later moved to the registrar's office at Montgomery College, where she retired in 1978.

She was a vice regent and secretary of the Col. John Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a member of Concord United Methodist Church, which later became Concord-St. Andrew's in Bethesda. She was a circle leader, church historian, recording secretary of the United Methodist Women and member of the church Administrative Council. She was active in the Bethesda Garden Club.

Survivors include two stepdaughters, Marjorie Ausen Sprague of Cleveland and Doris Marie Ausen Fortner of California.