Kaiya Montaocean


Kaiya Montaocean, 57, who advocated alternative medicine and the preservation of indigenous cultures, died of cancer Feb. 3 at Prince George's Hospital Center.

She had lived in the Washington area since 1980 and in Cheverly since the mid-1990s.

Ms. Montaocean was born Ramona Ann Kelley in McAlester, Okla.

She received a bachelor's degree in film and education and a master's degree in human relations from the University of Oklahoma. She taught human relations there before moving to the Washington area.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, she promoted alternative medicine in AIDS treatment through the Green Cross of the Americas Clinic in Washington. She also founded the Center for Natural and Traditional Medicines in Washington.

Ms. Montaocean was a volunteer with the Washington Latin American Youth Center and worked in theater productions there. She was a grant writer for the Confederation of Indigenous Elders of America, a Native American advocacy group.

Her marriages to Ron Wood and Omar Martinez ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Carey Johnson of Washington, whom she married in 1989; a daughter, Zayan Montaocean of Cheverly; and her parents, John and Minnie Kelley of Midwest City, Okla.

Galen A. Hunter Jr.

Computer Specialist

Galen A. "Buddy" Hunter Jr., 72, who specialized in the conversion of manual data processing systems to computers, died of heart disease Jan. 21 at his home in Millsboro, Del.

Mr. Hunter was a native Washingtonian. He attended Eastern High School. From 1948 to 1966, he worked for Western Electric, where his work included teaching classes on the conversion from manual systems to computers. He did similar work for Western Electric regional and service centers in Cockeysville, Md., and Cleveland. He retired in 1985 in Atlanta, where he had been helping develop a regional distribution system for AT&T.

In retirement, he lived in Millsboro.

As a young man, Mr. Hunter played in amateur softball leagues in the Washington area.

His marriage to Emily P. Hunter ended in divorce. His second wife, Vicki Hunter, died in 2000.

Survivors include five children from his first marriage, William L. Hunter Sr. of Columbia, Donald G. Hunter of Odenton, Michael S. Hunter of Leonardtown, James P. Hunter of Dunkirk and Deborah A. Kuhns of Eldersburg, Md.; a brother, William P. Hunter of Rockville; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Rodgers Frederick Harris

Systems Analyst

Rodgers Frederick Harris, 92, a retired Army quartermaster who was a systems analyst for the Metropolitan Police Department in the 1970s, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 22 at the Knollwood Army retirement facility in Washington.

Mr. Harris, who had lived in Washington since 1954, was born in Emporia, Va., and raised in Coatesville, Pa. He attended American and Howard universities.

He joined the Army in 1942 and served in the Quartermaster Corps in the Pacific during World War II and as an infantryman in Korea during the Korean War. He retired from active duty in 1968 from Walter Reed Army Medical Center at the rank of chief warrant officer.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, he was a correctional officer at the Federal Youth Correctional Center in Lorton. In his retirement, he taught military science courses at Howard University.

Mr. Harris was a contract bridge enthusiast and a member of the Barronite, Duos and Hilltop card clubs.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, the former Rosa Bernita Warmsley of Washington; two sons, Gregory, of Springfield, Ill., and Frederick, of Washington; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

His daughter, Christina Harris, died in 1947. A son, Reginald, died in 1987.

James V. Hurson

Firms Founder

James Vincent Hurson, 79, who in 1957 founded James V. Hurson Associates Inc., which does government relations work for food processors, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 5 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Potomac.

Also in the 1950s, he founded two other Arlington companies, Government Liaison Services Inc., an intellectual property research company, and Aircraft Title Corp. He was board chairman of the three organizations at the time of his death.

Mr. Hurson, a Washington native, was an Army Air Forces veteran of World War II. He was a graduate of Gonzaga College High School and American University and attended George Washington University law school. He was a Washington representative for Armour & Co. from 1950 to 1957.

He was a member of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac and Congressional Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Billie Ann Hurson of Potomac; two sons, James E., of Washington, and Patrick V., of Bethesda; two daughters, Ann Hurson Dempsey of Potomac and Julie Hurson DeVol of Washington; a brother, Daniel L., of Fort Myers, Fla.; a sister, Ellen Steis of Bethesda; and six grandchildren.

Margaret L. MacDonough

Defense Department Analyst

Margaret L. MacDonough, 94, who worked about 30 years at the Defense Department before retiring in the early 1970s as a financial adviser with the Army Materiel Command, died of respiratory failure Feb. 4 at the Thomas House retirement facility in Washington.

After retiring from the government, she worked part-time in the financial aid office at George Washington University and served as a volunteer in the correspondence section of the White House.

Ms. MacDonough, who had lived in Washington since the late 1930s, was a native of New Haven, Conn. She lived most of her adult life in the Foggy Bottom area, where she was a parishioner at St. Stephen Martyr Catholic Church.

She was active in church activities, serving on the sodality and Sanctuary Society. She also contributed and raised funds for projects that enhanced the beauty of the church and its furnishings for liturgical celebrations.

In the 1950s, she belonged to the Connecticut State Society in Washington, chairing its events related to the Cherry Blossom Festival.

She was a Benedictine Oblate of St. Anselm's Abbey in Washington and a benefactor of Albertus Magnus College in New Haven.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Ray Coggin

Intelligence Officer

Ray Coggin, 61, a CIA intelligence officer for 28 years before retiring in 1994, died of cancer Feb. 7 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He lived in Vienna.

During his CIA career, he spent nine years in Europe, became a member of the Senior Intelligence Service and received the Career Intelligence Medal.

In 2002, he was an intelligence consultant for Telemus Solutions in Tysons Corner.

Mr. Coggin, who came to the Washington area 37 years ago, was born in Lynn, Mass. He was an electrical engineering graduate of Northeastern University and did graduate work in engineering at Dartmouth College.

He had served on the board of the Fairfax County Taxpayers Alliance.

Survivors include his wife, Anne, and two children, William and Rebecca Coggin, all of Vienna; three brothers; and three sisters.