M. Bruce Gwinn

Hill Staffer

M. Bruce Gwinn, 53, a member of the House Commerce Committee staff, where he specialized in internatinal trade issues, died Jan. 29 at his home in Alexandria. He had colon cancer.

He came to the Washington area and began his Capitol Hill career in 1973. After serving as a staff assistant with the House Post Office and Civil Service Committee, he joined the offices of then- Rep. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), where he worked from 1975 to 1981.

From then until 1995, he worked for the House Energy and Commerce Committee's consumer protection and competitiveness subcommittee. From 1995 to 1997, he was a senior policy analyst with House Government Reform and Oversight Committee.

Mr, Gwinn, who was born in South Carolina and raised in North Carolina, was a 1971 graduate of Duke University. He had served in the Army Reserve frm 1971 to 1977.

His first wife, the former Vinia Grandes, died in 1991. Survivors include his wife of nine years, May Yoneyama Gwinn of Alexandria; three children from his first marriage, M. Dylan Gwinn and Maria R. Gwinn, both of New York, and L. Bryon Gwinn of Alexandria; his mother and stepfather, Marian C. and Jean Surratt of Charlotte, N.C.; a brother, W. Roger Gwinn of Alexandria; and a sister, Marsha M. Gwinn of Charlotte.

Frederick D. 'Fritz' Pollard Jr.

Foreign Service Officer

Frederick Douglas "Fritz" Pollard Jr., 87, a Foreign Service officer who retired in 1981 as the director of the State Department's overseas schools for U.S. dependents, died Feb. 15 at the Washington Home. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Pollard, a resident of Germantown, was born in Springfield, Mo. He attended Brown University and graduated from the University of North Dakota.

In the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, he won a Bronze Medal in the 110-meter hurdles.

During World War II, he served in the Army.

Before moving to this area and joining the State Department in 1964, Mr. Pollard was in charge of the Chicago Commission on Human Relations for Mayor Richard J. Daley.

In his early years with the State Department, Mr. Pollard recruited retired athletes to serve as goodwill ambassadors to foreign countries.

He had been in charge of overseas schools for about 10 years before he retired.

His wife, Addiefie Cruikshank Pollard, died in 1990.

Survivors include two children, Sheryl Pollard Cruikshank of Mount Airy and Frederick D. "Fritz" Pollard III of Germantown; two grandchildren; and two sisters.

Brooke R. Stohler

Actress and Theater Worker

Brooke R. Stohler, 20, who had acted at the Pied Piper Theatre in Manassas and sold tickets at Arena Stage in Washington, died Feb. 9 in a Fairfax County traffic accident. Police said her car struck another auto on Columbia Pike near Sleepy Hollow Road.

Ms. Stohler, who lived in Dumfries, was born in Manassas. She graduated from C.D. Hylton High School in 2000 and from the Connecticut School of Broadcasting.

Survivors include her mother, Janet Stohler of Montclair; her late father's companion, Terrance H. Sweeney of Columbia; and her grandparents, Irene Stohler of Hawthorne, N.J., and William and Mary Benwell of Carbondale, Pa.

Jane S. Stanhope

Educator and Artist

Jane S. Stanhope, 78, an educator who taught writing at the Metropolitan Police Academy and designed and applied makeup for performers in the Washington Opera, died of a heart attack Feb. 18 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Stanhope was born in New Philadelphia, Ohio. She came to Washington in 1945 and graduated from George Washington University.

As a young woman, she was wardrobe supervisor for the premiere production at the Carter Baron Amphitheater. Later, she designed sets and costumes for Arena Stage.

With her husband, Thomas A. Stanhope, she began working with the Opera Society of Washington in 1957. They made props and scenic pieces in the 1960s and 1970s. Until the 1980s, they worked in the makeup department.

In the '60s, Mrs. Stanhope began teaching creative writing at American University. Later she taught a writing course for D.C. detectives at the Metropolitan Police Academy and became the administrator of the composition and reading program. She retired in 1996.

In addition to her husband of 52 years, survivors include two children., Hilary Stanhope of Potomac and Martha Timlin of Washington; and two grandchildren.

George F. Daly

Service Station Owner

George F. Daly, 79, who operated Esso and Sunoco service stations in Northeast Washington and Lanham in the 1960s and 1970s and was honored for his preservation work in Southern Maryland, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 18 at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He lived in Shadyside.

Mr. Daly was a native of Washington. He served in the Army in New Guinea and the Philippines during World War II.

After the war, he was a truck body mechanic. His employers included Gichner Iron Works.

While serving for six years as co-president of the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society, Mr. Daly oversaw the renovation of the society's museum, the Capt. Salem Avery House, where he also volunteered. He was a director of the Avalon Shores Civic Association and a volunteer at nursing homes and senior centers.

His honors included awards from the Maryland Historical Trust, Southern Anne Arundel Chamber of Commerce and Anne Arundel Trust for Preservation, as well as citations for community service from the Anne Arundel county executive and the delegation to the Maryland General Assembly. He was inducted into the Maryland Senior Citizens Hall of Fame in October.

He was a member of Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church in Owensville.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 54 years, Mavis Daly of Shadyside; a brother, Carol Daly of Rockville; and two sisters, Shirley Dailey of New Bern, N.C., and Joan Daly of

Largo, Fla.

Thomas Blake Clark


Thomas Blake Clark, 94, an editor for Reader's Digest based in Washington from 1944 until he retired in 1970, died of dementia Feb. 17 at the College Manor nursing facility in Lutherville, Md.

He lived in Washington from the 1940s to the late 1990s.

Mr. Clark, a native of Howell, Tenn., received bachelor's and master's degrees and a doctorate in English from Vanderbilt University.

He taught English at the University of Hawaii in the 1930s and 1940s. While there, he witnessed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and its aftermath. As Blake Clark, he wrote a book on the experience, "Remember Pearl Harbor."

During World War II, he worked in Washington for the Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor to the Central Intelligence Agency.

Mr. Clark was a member of the Cosmos Club, the Metropolitan Club of Washington, the Burning Tree Club and the University Club. At the latter, he won several swimming distance competitions.

His marriages to Deena Speliakos and Gretta Atkinson ended in divorce.

He is survived by a daughter from his first marriage, Nikia Speliakos Leopold of Ruxton, Md.

Roxanna Lee Proctor

Nursing Director

Roxanna Lee Proctor, 58, who was director of nursing for the Washington Center for Aging Services since 1998, died of ovarian cancer Jan. 27 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

She had lived in McLean since 1981.

She helped to open nursing homes in the Washington area and to bring other struggling facilities into compliance with regulatory standards.

Mrs. Proctor was born in Canada and raised in Portland, Maine. She was a graduate of United Hospital School of Nursing in Port Chester, N.Y.

In the early 1980s, she was a nurse at George Washington University Hospital. From 1988 to 1990, she was director of nursing at Methodist Home of Washington. In the 1990s, she was director of nursing at Arleigh Burke Pavilion in McLean, Greenbelt Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and Morningside House in Laurel. She also was nursing supervisor at Fernwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Bethesda.

Mrs. Proctor served as president of Long-Term Care Directors of Nursing and Quality Assurance in Long-Term Care, both Washington-based professional groups.

Survivors include her husband of 33 years, Charles Proctor, a daughter, Victoria Proctor, and her mother, Mabel Kendrick, all of McLean; two brothers; and a sister.

Frances Smith Haas

Washington Principal

Frances Smith Haas, 95, a Washington educator who retired in 1962 as principal of Brightwood Elementary School, died of respiratory failure Jan. 27 at a nursing home in Liberty, Mo.

Mrs. Hass was an elementary school teacher in the 1930s and was principal in the early 1940s of Addison, Curtis and Hyde elementary schools. From the mid-1940s to the late 1950s, she was principal at Thompson Elementary School.

She was a former president of the Washington Elementary Principals Association.

She was a native of Takoma Park and a graduate of the old Central High School in Washington, Wilson Normal School and George Washington University. She received a master's degree in education administration from the University of Maryland.

She was an elder at Takoma Park Presbyterian Church.

She was a Silver Spring resident when she moved to North Carolina in 1962. She returned to Silver Spring in 1966 and then moved to Florida in 1981.

Her husband, Edward David Haas, whom she married in 1933, died in 1966.

Survivors include a son, the Rev. Robert Haas, a retired Presbyterian minister who lives in Liberty; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Linda Ann Dachisen Bravo

Registered Nurse

Linda Ann Dachisen Bravo, 55, who had worked for Inova Fairfax Hospital since 1981, predominantly in the radiation oncology department, died Feb. 18 at her home in Fairfax. She had cancer.

Mrs. Bravo was born in Dover, N.J., and grew up in Denville, N.J. She was a 1968 graduate of Lenox Hill Hospital nursing school in New York.

She was a pediatric nurse and evening charge nurse at Lenox Hill Hospital until 1981.

She was a member of Tantallon Country Club in Fort Washington and helped run fundraising golf tournaments for the American Cancer Society as a volunteer.

Her marriage to Joseph Cabrera ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 22 years, Charles E. Bravo of Fairfax; a son from her first marriage, Damien S. Cabrera of Arlington; a son from her second marriage, Matthew E. Bravo of Fairfax; her parents, Peter and Doris Dachisen of Denville; three brothers; and two sisters.

Malcolm A. Hormats

Air Force Colonel

Malcolm A. Hormats, 84, an Air Force colonel who worked on atomic bomb development, retired in 1965 as aerospace research commander at the base near Cape Canaveral and then worked at the Pentagon for 20 years as a consultant, died of renal failure and heart ailments Feb. 16 at Mariner of Bethesda nursing home. He lived in Rockville.

Col. Hormats was a native of Troy, N.Y., who attended the University of Michigan and was a graduate of the Command and General Staff College. Before the United States entered World War II, Col. Hormats enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force and ferried bombers to England. He flew fighter planes with the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Britain, then transferred to the Army Air Forces. He flew Spitfires during the campaigns in North Africa and Italy.

Col. Hormats was chief of flight operations for the Atlantic division of the Military Air Transport Command during the Berlin Airlift, then continued as a command pilot for the Air Force Office of Atomic Testing in Washington. He participated in atomic bomb development tests for a number of years and was assigned to the Strategic Air Command. He retired from Patrick Air Force Base in Florida and then was a computer program designer for air operations and flight training for the Air Force Department.

His honors included 10 Distinguished Flying Crosses and the Royal Air Force Distinguished Flying Medal.

He was president of the board of directors of the Grosvenor Park III condominium and a member of the Retired Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Bess L. Hormats of Rockville; a daughter, Gerrie Schmidt of Chappaqua, N.Y.; and two grandchildren.

Chester R. Kirkevold

Radio Engineer

Chester R. Kirkevold, 84, a radio engineer who retired in 1974 as executive secretary of the Interdepartmental Radio Advisory Committee, died of heart disease Feb. 17 at his home in Springfield.

At his retirement, Mr. Kirkevold had been working 18 years at the Interdepartmental Radio Advisory Committee, which allocates radio frequencies to government agencies. His federal career totaled 30 years, and it also included service as a radio engineer with the FBI, the Federal Communications Commission and the Merchant Marine in the Pacific during World War II.

He was born in Claybanks, Wis., and attended the University of Colorado.

On retiring, Mr. Kirkevold moved to Myrtle Beach, S.C. He settled in Springfield three years ago.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Margaret G. Kirkevold of Springfield; two daughters, Donna Klar of Springfield and Susan Ford of Annandale; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Irene Davidson

Real Estate Agent

Irene Davidson, 79, who in the 1980s sold real estate for the Annandale offices of Coldwell Banker, died of leukemia Feb. 15 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

She had lived in the Washington area since the 1940s and in Annandale since the 1950s.

Mrs. Davidson, a native of Poland, moved to the United States from England in 1947.

She was an administrative assistant for the International Monetary Fund in the late 1940s and early 1950s. She worked as an interior decorator in the early 1960s and was a manager of the UNICEF Washington gift shop from 1967 to 1978.

Mrs. Davidson also was a volunteer interior decorator at the White House and was an usher at the Kennedy Center.

She was a member of Congregation Olam Tikvah.

Her husband, Alfred J. Davidson, whom she married in 1950, died in 1991.

Survivors include a son, Steven Davidson of Washington; a daughter, Carol Rao of Chapel Hill, N.C.; a sister; and a granddaughter.

James Darrell Anderson

Auto Salesman

James Darrell Anderson, 66, an auto salesman who retired from Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly, died of cancer Feb. 14 at his home in Culpeper, Va.

Mr. Anderson was born in Elizabethton, Tenn., and moved to the Washington area 35 years ago.

He retired in 1997 from Pohanka Chevrolet, where he had worked for about 10 years. He was an auto salesman all his professional life. Earlier, he worked for Rosenthal Chevrolet and Ourisman Chevrolet.

A former resident of Centreville, he had been living in Culpeper for the last year.

His marriage to Ann Anderson ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Mark Anderson of Centreville, Jason Anderson of Tampa and Melissa Boyd of Culpeper; two brothers, Carl Anderson of Florida and Warren Anderson of McGaheysville, Va.; four sisters, Janice Fox of Charlottesville, Carolyn Tickel of Calhoun, Tenn., Barbara Orr of Johnson City, Tenn., and Patricia Cummings of Sterling; and a granddaughter.