Lewis A. Carroll
Lewis A. Carroll, 82, a retired Washington Gas Light Co. vice president and general counsel, died Feb. 20 at Inova Fairfax Hospital after a stroke. He lived in McLean.
Mr. Carroll was a graduate of Marshall University in his native West Virginia and the University of Michigan law school. He served with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.
He was a lawyer in the U.S. attorney's office from 1951 to 1960. He then worked for the Federal Power Commission before practicing law in the District from 1962 to 1965.
He then lived in Alabama and the Philippines before returning to the Washington area and joining Washington Gas Light, where he worked from 1975 to 1985 and then did consulting work.
Mr. Carroll was an Eagle Scout, a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church and such groups as the John Carroll Society and the Knights of Columbus.
His wife, Maria Helena Carroll, whom he married in 1959, died in 1993.
Survivors include a son, Lewis H., of Falls Church; a daughter, Margaret Carroll of Lexington, Va.; and two brothers.
James A. Woods
Air Force Officer
James A. Woods, 79, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who flew in three wars and was later director of the Anne Arundel County office of inspections and permits, died Feb. 19 at Southern Maryland Hospital after a series of strokes.
Col. Woods, who lived in Temple Hills, was a native of Pittsburgh. He attended Kansas State University.
He served as a bomber pilot in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II. He flew 100 combat missions in an F-80 Shooting Star during the Korean War and flew troops into combat zones in Vietnam during the war there. He also supervised air traffic operations in Vietnam.
Between wars, Col. Woods was a flight test pilot. He retired in 1970 from Andrews Air Force Base, where he was staff pilot and pilot supervisor for the Air Force Systems Command.
In addition to his work as inspections director, he was a consultant to the Anne Arundel County police and a land development consultant.
He was a political adviser to Democrats in Anne Arundel and worked on county executive campaigns.
He was a member of the Retired Officers Association and the Vietnam Veterans Association.
He held two Air Medals and a Meritorious Service Medal.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Jeanne Woods of Temple Hills; two sons, James Woods of Olney and Charles Woods of Chantilly; a sister; and five grandchildren.
Frank S. McKetta III
Frank S. McKetta III, 55, a Navy budget and program analyst who retired in 1997 from the Naval Audit Service, died of cancer Feb. 20 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Fort Washington.
Mr. McKetta was a native of Pittsburgh and a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh . He received a master's degree in education from Mansfield (Pa.) University.
After moving to the Washington area in 1974, he was an office manager for ITT Thorpe. He went to work for the Navy in the late 1970s and had assignments in the fleet modernization and anti-submarine warfare programs and the office of the comptroller.
Mr. McKetta lead the daily rosary group of St. Mary's of Piscataway Catholic Church in Clinton.
Survivors include his wife, Barbara McKetta of Fort Washington, and his parents, Ann McKetta and Frank McKetta, both of Camp Hill, Pa.
Gertrude Webster Mullins
Gertrude Webster Mullins, 72, who spent 13 years as a civilian Army Department legal secretary in Arlington and retired in 2000, died Feb. 21 at Leewood Nursing Home in Annandale. She had breast cancer.
Mrs. Mullins, an Annandale resident, did sales work at Minnesota Fabrics in Annandale from the early 1970s to early 1980s. That overlapped with her secretarial work for the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions.
She was born in New York state and was a California homemaker before settling in the Washington area in 1961. She was a 1969 art history graduate of the Corcoran School of Art in Washington.
She was a volunteer for the Fairfax County public library in Annandale.
Her marriage to James Mullins ended in divorce.
Survivors include a son, Kevin Mullins of Lorton; two brothers; a sister; and two grandchildren.
Jack W. Coulter
Jack W. Coulter, 76, an upholsterer at Lindsey Upholstery in Arlington from 1972 until he retired in 1992, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 18 at Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center in Arlington.
He had lived in Falls Church since 1959.
Mr. Coulter, a native of Conover, N.C., served in the Marine Corps in the 1950s.
He worked at Honeycutt's Upholstery in Falls Church from 1959 to 1972. At Lindsey, he specialized in high-end furniture.
Mr. Coulter was a member of National Gardens Baptist Church in Falls Church.
Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Mary M. Coulter of Falls Church; a daughter, Katherine Benishek of Herndon; two stepsons, Victor Williams of Herndon and Roy Williams of Falls Church; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Claude Carlisle Caylor Jr.
Claude Carlisle Caylor Jr., 81, a Silver Spring radiologist who retired in 1985, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 23 at his home in Cocoa Beach, Fla.
Dr. Caylor was born in Washington. He graduated from St. John's College High School, the University of Virginia and Georgetown University Medical School. He served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II.
After the war, he did his residency in radiology at Georgetown and Providence hospitals. He opened a private practice in radiology in Silver Spring in 1949 and practiced there until he retired.
He moved from Silver Spring to Cocoa Beach in 1986.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Barbara Caylor of Cocoa Beach; two children, Claude, of Dallas and Patricia Voss of New Liberty, Iowa; two sisters, Ann Thompson of Germantown and Edith Burns of Chicago; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Dorothy K. Winston
Dorothy K. Winston, 88, who owned and operated Dorothy K. Winston real estate and investments for more than 50 years, died Feb. 16 at her home in Chevy Chase after a stroke.
Mrs. Winston founded the company in 1948 with her first husband, Manny Winston, who died in 1955. Her work included forming syndicates to purchase large tracts in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs of Washington and in Florida for future sales. She was active in the business until her death.
Mrs. Winston was born in Newark and moved to the Washington area in 1937. In the early 1940s, she was a real estate sales agent for Leo M. Bernstein Realty, and she sold both residential and commercial real estate.
She was a member of the Washington Board of Realtors.
Mrs. Winston married Edward M. Ladden in 1960 and worked in real estate with him until his death in 1980.
Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Lynn Kerman of Potomac and Bruce Winston of Rockville; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
J. Lloyd Taylor
John Lloyd Taylor, 86, who worked at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare in the 1960s and early 1970s and retired as deputy director of surplus property, died Feb. 22 at Anne Arundel Medical Center after a heart attack.
Mr. Taylor, a Hollywood, Md., resident, did property management work at the Public Housing Administration in the 1940s and 1950s.
He was a native Washingtonian and a graduate of McKinley Technical High School. He was a 1938 commercial science graduate of the old Columbus University in Washington.
His memberships included the Elks and the National Rifle Association.
His wife of 67 years, Margaret McHugh Taylor, died in 2002.
Survivors include two daughters, Janet E. Brown of Annapolis and Arlene Christy of Auburn, Wash.; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.