Roof Collapses at Eckerd in Waldorf
* The Eckerd drugstore in Waldorf was among several Washington-area businesses whose roofs collapsed under the weight of snow and Saturday's heavy rainfall.
Ehrlich Still Revising Proposal for Slots
* As hearings began in the General Assembly on whether to legalize slot machines at Maryland's horse racing tracks, Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) told supporters that he is still revising the details of his proposal.
States to Experiment With Non-Native Oysters
* Maryland and Virginia have agreed for the first time to introduce 1 million non-native oysters to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean, setting aside longstanding fears of unleashing unknown environmental consequences.
State Says Districts May Waive 2 Snow Days
* State school officials will allow districts to finish the school year without making up two of the days missed because of snow this winter. Many school systems will nevertheless have to extend their schedules or hold classes on holidays in order to meet state requirements for the minimum number of school days.
Lusby Woman Killed in 3-Vehicle Crash
* A 72-year-old Lusby woman was killed in a three-vehicle accident on Route 4 when she apparently lost control of her car on the icy highway. Roads throughout the region were made slick by a Wednesday morning snowfall that caught forecasters by surprise and left road crews unable to deploy ahead of traffic to treat driving surfaces.
Lawmakers Try to Rescue Slots Plan
* Influential Democratic lawmakers, including state Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. (D-Prince George's and Calvert), are working to rescue a plan to legalize slot machine gambling in Maryland following a series of tactical setbacks to the plan's chief backer -- Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.
Snow Cancellations Involve Several Factors
* For Calvert public school administrators, whether to cancel classes because of snow is a complex decision based on road conditions, the safety of children who must stand on roadway shoulders to wait for buses, and the agenda of school activities for the day.