Agnes 'Ann' Nixon
Agnes "Ann" Utley Nixon, 88, who worked for the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology in Bethesda for 28 years before retiring in 1984 as administrative assistant to its director, died March 5 at her home in Bethesda after a heart attack.
Mrs. Nixon graduated from Lockyear's Business College in her native Indiana before coming to the Washington area in 1935 and doing clerical work for the State Department into the 1940s. From 1946 to 1952, she was an administrative assistant at Suburban Hospital. She did part-time work from 1984 until retiring altogether in 1992.
She had been a member of Bethesda First Baptist Church since 1953 and had done volunteer work with Bethesda Help, assisting in the distribution of food and clothing to the needy. Her hobbies included walking.
Her husband, Robert G. Nixon, whom she married in 1941, died in 1981. Survivors include a son, Dene Scott Gray Nixon of Chevy Chase; a stepson, Robert Gray Nixon III of Lakeland, Fla.; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Virginia Armstrong McQuoid
HUD Personnel Director
Virginia Armstrong McQuoid, 73, who as personnel director of the Department of Housing and Urban Development was one of the first women appointed to that post at a Cabinet-level agency, died of cancer March 10 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. She lived in Springfield.
Known professionally as Virginia Armstrong, she retired in 1980 after four years at HUD and three decades in federal personnel work. She began with the Civil Service Commission in her native New York after graduating from Trinity College in Washington. She worked initially in the examining division of the commission's regional office in New York and was named regional director there in 1975.
Mrs. McQuoid volunteered as a docent and art information specialist at the National Gallery of Art and also volunteered at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include her husband of 26 years, George J. McQuoid of Springfield, and a sister.
William Bruce Friis Sr.
Builder and Rotary Official
William Bruce Friis Sr., 76, a retired Washington area builder who was a leader in the Rotary and other service organizations, died of congestive heart failure March 11 at a hospital in Easton, Md.
Mr. Friis was president of a company bearing his last name for more than 30 years until his retirement in 1985. Friis Builders, which his father started in 1940, was based in Kensington and primarily built houses. It also constructed commercial buildings.
Mr. Friis, a member of the Rotary since 1971, was past president of the Wheaton club and former Washington area representative. When Mr. Friis, a former Silver Spring resident, retired to the Eastern Shore in 1985, he helped establish the Kent Island Rotary Club and served as its first president.
Mr. Friis, a resident of Queenstown, was born in Miami and was raised there and in Washington, where he graduated from Central High School.
His first wife, Peggy Friis, died in 1990.
Survivors include his wife of 10 years, Julia "Judy" Glassie Friis of Queenstown; four sons from his first marriage, William B. Friis Jr. of Annapolis, Mark Friis of Silver Spring, Richard Friis of Frederick and Donald Friis of Ashton; a stepson, Randolph Bowes of Annapolis; a sister; and seven grandchildren.
Charles E. Moore
Charles E. Moore, 85, who retired in 1974 after more than 10 years as base documentation manager at Bolling Air Force Base, died March 7 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.
Before working at Bolling, he was an administrative clerk at the Pentagon and the Office of Personnel Management.
Mr. Moore was a native of Minnesota who moved to Washington in 1940.
During World War II, he served in the Army and took part in the Allied invasion of Normandy.
His military decorations include a Silver Star and four Bronze Stars.
His interests included fishing, tennis, and cooking -- among other things -- crabcakes.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Sarah Moore of Washington; a son, Kevin Charles Moore of Washington; and a sister.
John M. Malloy
John Michael Malloy, 54, an editor at the National Academy of Sciences from 1984 to 2002, when he left on disability as managing editor of its journal, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, died March 10 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had lung cancer.
Dr. Malloy, a Silver Spring resident, was born in Hammond, Ind. He was a graduate of Purdue University and received a doctorate in biochemistry from the University of Pittsburgh.
He was a research assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh's biological sciences department before moving to the Washington area in 1984.
He was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville.
Survivors include his wife, Blanche Johnson, whom he married in 1983, of Silver Spring.