(Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.)
CIVISTA HEALTH FOUNDATION 5K
RUN/WALK FOR WELLNESS
Competitive runners, walkers and family walkers will enjoy a moderate 5K (3.1-mile) course that winds through historic La Plata around Civista Medical Center (7). Registration, 8:30 a.m. April 26; race starts at 9. Participants receive a T-shirt. Registration by April 13, $15; $20 after. Fee is a donation to Civista Health Foundation. For more information, call 301-609-4132.
KEEPWELL 5K/10K RUN/WALK
Calvert Memorial KeepWell Run/Walk is April 12 in Solomons. For additional information and registration, call 410-535-8178. You can also register online at www.calverthospital.com.
CALVERT COUNTY HEALTH FAIR
Sponsored by the Calvert Office on Aging and Calvert Memorial Hospital, the fair is open to anyone 18 and older, 8:30 a.m.-noon Friday and Saturday at the Calvert Pines Senior Center in Prince Frederick. Free health screenings include blood pressure, glaucoma, hearing, vision, depression (Friday), glucose, podiatry (Friday) and colorectal kits. Exhibitors will offer wellness and community service information. Appointments are required for the blood chemistry tests performed at CMH (3). Cholesterol Testing Plus with comprehensive metabolic screen requires a 10-hour fast and costs $30. The complete blood count and blood type will be offered for $5. Free prostate screening for men, which includes PSA blood work, will be available Friday by appointment. The screening is recommended for men over 50, African American men over 40 and men over 40 with a family history of prostate problems. Call 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND MEDBANK
The Southern Maryland Medbank program provides access to free prescription medications for people without insurance coverage and who meet income limits. If you live in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's or Anne Arundel counties and need help paying for medications, call to see if you are eligible. 866-633-2265.
COLON CANCER SCREENINGS
The Calvert County Health Department offers a colon cancer screening, education and treatment program. If you are uninsured, are not sure if insurance will cover this type of screening or just need information, call 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 342.
Calvert Memorial Hospital invites you to meet with a certified fitness trainer to test your current fitness level. Tests evaluate muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, aerobic capacity and body composition. $45. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
BLOOD PRESSURE AND
* Civista Medical Center (7) offers free screenings, 1-3 p.m. on the first and third Mondays of the month in the lobby. Reservations not required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital's KeepWell Center (3) offers free screenings, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Cholesterol, blood pressure and colon cancer screenings 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday at Giant Food in California, and 11 a.m.-noon at Cedar Lane Apartments in Leonardtown. Free. For more information, call Barbara Hak, 301-475-6019. Fasting is not required.
* Mall Walkers, sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14), invites participants of all ages to join all-weather walking, 7:30-9:30 a.m. Monday-Friday at St. Charles Towne Center Food Court in Waldorf. Free blood pressure monitoring. Call 301-877-5700.
* Charles County Walkers meets monthly at various locations in the county. Call for locations and dates of walks. Increase physical activity and improve fitness, earn patches and prizes as you log miles. Required membership fee, $15. Walk held weather permitting. Call 888-332-4847 for location.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) sponsors a program for those coping with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema and chronic bronchitis. The group is facilitated by a registered respiratory therapist. Topics for discussion in March include sleep disorders, April's program addresses includes how stress and exercise influence pulmonary disease, and May's program addresses the needs of individuals with asthma and COPD or other pulmonary diseases. 6-7 p.m. Wednesday. Free. Call 301-475-6019 for more information.
DIABETES MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS
* An educational program structured around two group classes and two individual sessions. The group classes are designed to enhance general knowledge of diabetes and focus on the American Diabetes Association's self-management curriculum. The individual sessions cover medical nutritional concepts, blood glucose self-monitoring, and insulin preparation and administration. Civista Women's Health Center (8). Monthly fee. Call 301-609-5200 for information to registerand to discuss insurance coverage.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program designed to enhance knowledge of diabetes and teach skills to help manage it. Focuses on medication, insulin, self-monitoring, control and response to complications. Physician referral required. Cost may be covered by insurance. Call 410-535-8176 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8176.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) is offering new classes on comprehensive, compassionate diabetes self-management. Call for class dates and times, 301-475-6019.
CHOOSE TO LOSE
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers an eating program with Ron and Nancy Goor's "fat budget" system. Sample foods from their Eater's Choice Low-Fat Cookbook. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for cost and dates.
American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR course is designed for the layman. CPR is taught, along with removal of foreign objects obstructing airways for adults, children and infants, and a course certification card is issued upon successful completion. 5-10 p.m. March 26, St. Mary's Hospital (12). $30 fee covers supplies and certification card. Class space is limited. Register at 301-475-6019.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
An ongoing class for women only, 45 minutes of exercise designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays, or 6:45-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays or Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (8). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
FREEDOM FROM SMOKING
The American Lung Association and Civista Medical Center (7) offer a seven-session course to enable smokers to quit smoking for good. $40. Call for class dates.
HERBAL OPTIONS FOR STRESS RELIEF
Learn to cope with stress in natural ways. Civista Women's Health Center (8) explores the appropriate use of antispasmodics and calmatives in the herbal medicine cabinet. 7-8:30 p.m. March 26. $20.
PEP UP YOUR LIFE
Civista Women's Health Center (8) offers a two-session exercise program that will help increase your flexibility, improve balance, increase strength and improve endurance. It also will provide you with the knowledge and understanding of how to be a more physically active older adult safely and effectively. 5:30-6:30 p.m. March 26 and 28. $15.
* An ongoing class designed to teach participants relaxation, flexibility and strengthening techniques through various yoga positions and practices. Instructor is Mary Todd, exercise physiologist. 8-8:45 p.m. Tuesdays, 9-9:45 a.m. Wednesdays and 8-8:45 p.m. Thursdays. Civista Women's Health Center (8). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Payment due at first class.
* Learn basic yoga postures, conscious relaxation, breathing techniques and meditation in a step-by-step progression, sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Postures are adapted for the needs of the individual. 9:15-10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m.-noon Mondays, Dunkirk Medical Center (9), $56; 5:30-6:45 p.m. Mondays April 14-June 16 (no class May 26); or 7-8:15 p.m. Wednesdays, April 16-June 11 at Solomons (13), $65. To register, call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers Hatha Yoga for experienced students. Must be physically fit. 7-8:15 p.m. Mondays, April 14-June 16 (no class May 26), or 5:30-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays, April 16-June 11, at Solomons (13), $65.
SLEEP DISORDERS SEMINAR
The Sleep Lab at Civista Medical Center (7) and Sleep Service of America offer a seminar on sleep disorders during National Sleep Awareness Week. Topics include various disorders, treatment options and how to get a good night's sleep. 7-8:30 p.m. March 31. Free.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements to put the body and mind into a profound state of relaxation. Learn simple exercises to maintain softness and range of motion after your session. Clients remain fully clothed. 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3), and 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at Solomons Medical Center (13). 30-minute session, $25; one-hour session, $50.
WOMAN TO WOMAN 2003
The Chesapeake Healthcare Alliance (Civista Medical Center, Calvert Memorial Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital) sponsor a day for women to enjoy a continental breakfast, gourmet luncheon, two enrichment seminars, two keynote speakers, women-oriented exhibits and an opportunity for a seated massage, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 5, Southern Maryland Higher Education Center, California. By March 28, $48; $58 after. Registration and prepayment are required. 888-332-4847.
SEATED MASSAGE THERAPY
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers seated therapeutic massage. 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays of each month (except holidays) at Dunkirk Medical Center (9); the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Solomons Medical Center (13); and the first and third Thursdays of the month at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 15-minute neck, back and shoulder massage, $13; a 30-minute session, $26. Appointments required. 410-286-7992.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers seated massage. 2-5 p.m. March 14. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 to make an appointment.
INTRODUCTION TO PAIN MANAGEMENT
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a class on controlling chronic pain through relaxation techniques. Led by a registered nurse certified in biofeedback therapy. $100, includes a book, two relaxation tapes and a stress profile. Call 410-414-4507 for dates and times of classes.
PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN
Bridges, an eight-session grief support program for children ages 4-12, teens and adults grieving a death, will meet 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, April 3 - May 22, St. Paul's Episcopal Church Education Building, 25 Church St., Prince Frederick. For more information and registration, call Calvert Hospice, 410-535-0892, 301-855-1226.
NUTRITION AND FITNESS FOR CHILDREN
Civista Women's Health Center (8) offers a half-day class designed to teach children ages 10 to 13 good nutrition and fitness habits. The class will center on group activities including preparing the day's lunch. Topics include body image, attitude, self-esteem, avoiding peer pressure, vegetarianism, group fitness activities and body fat. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. March 22. $10; registration and prepayment required.
To help children ages 2-8 prepare for a new baby in the family. 3-4 p.m. March 23 or April 17, Civista Medical Center (7). $5; free to moms who deliver at Civista. Registration required.
This class covers caring for and being comfortable with your baby, picking out a car seat and crib, baby-proofing a home, and infant and child CPR. Proper car seat installation will be demonstrated. If you already have a car seat, bring it with you. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 29 or April 12, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $60; registration and prepayment required. It is recommended that this seven-hour class be taken early in a pregnancy for maximum comfort.
* A childbirth education class sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) includes labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, Caesarean section information, breast-feeding education and more. Saturday classes now available. $100. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times. Registration by the 20th week of pregnancy required.
ACUPRESSURE AND MASSAGE FOR PREGNANCY, LABOR AND DELIVERY
St. Mary's Hospital (12) shows you and your partner how to ease the discomforts of pregnancy, labor and delivery through simple acupressure and massage techniques. Pain and other problems can be caused by a blockage of energy flow in the body. Acupressure helps release such blockages . Your partner will learn to apply acupressure and use massage techniques to help relieve pregnancy and childbirth discomforts. 3-4:30 p.m. March 30. Fee charged.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers a program to teach young people basic first aid, rescue breathing, care for a choking child and common-sense tips on baby-sitting. 8:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday and March 29. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 to register.
Sponsored by Civista Women's Health Center (8), this class is designed to prepare children ages 8-11 and their parents for when the children will be at home alone for brief periods of time. Instructors are Officer Rhett Calloway, Charles County sheriff's office, and Mary Todd-Winkler, exercise physiologist. Parent or guardian must attend with child. 1-3 p.m. April 6. $5; registration and prepayment required. 888-332-4847.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers a program designed to teach parents to calm children through massage. It is especially helpful for babies with colic. Fee involved. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and time and to register.
* Tour the Family Birthing Center in preparation for baby's birth. A question-and-answer period follows the tour. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free. Call for times and registration at 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Tour the Family Birthing Center and visit the Newborn Nursery, Civista Medical Center (7), 6-7 p.m. April 14 and 21. Registration required. 888-332-4847.
LA LECHE LEAGUE
La Leche League of Calvert County offers breast-feeding information and mother-to-mother support the second Friday of every month, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 25 Church St., Prince Frederick. Call 410-586-3661.
The Alzheimer's Association of Greater Washington offers support groups in Southern Maryland:
* St. Mary's County: Garvey Senior Center, 301-475-4444.
* Calvert County: Calvert Pines Senior Center, Prince Frederick, 301-855-1170.
Families learn how to handle different stages of Alzheimer's disease and share strategies for daily activities. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of the month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14). Free. Call 301-877-5700 to register.
The Calvert Memorial Hospital Amputee Group will meet 6-7:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. 410-414-4670 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4670.
A group provides support and education for people of all ages who suffer from arthritis.
Learn exercises that can ease pain. 10-11:30 a.m. the third Wednesday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14) library. Free. Call 301-877-5700 to register.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a better breathing support group. 2 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month at Calvert Pines Senior Center, Prince Frederick. For more information, call 410-535-8340 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8340.
This group meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month (except holidays) at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For more information, call 410-535-5467.
Calvert Hospice offers "A Time to Heal," a group designed for those experiencing pregnancy loss, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, April 2 through May 14, at the hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Registration is required. Call 410-535-0892, 301-855-1226.
Calvert Hospice sponsors a support group for anyone in Calvert County caring for a loved one or friend who is chronically ill. 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, March 19-April 23. For location and registration, please call 301-855-1226 or 410-535-0892.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) and the American Cancer Society offer this group for cancer patients and their families and friends, 7-8:30 p.m. every other Wednesday. Employees from St. Mary's Hospital's Outpatient Infusion Service and social work department run the group. Snacks provided. Call 301-465-6070 to register.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building, offers a group for cancer patients, 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* Civista Medical Center (7) sponsors a group for cardiac patients and family members, 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month (except holidays) in the cafeteria. Registration not required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) sponsors a cardiac care support group. Call Jeanne Haas for dates, times and topics. 410-414-4572 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4572.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) sponsors a support group to discuss the facts about depression, including many of its causes, treatments, symptoms and help. 7 p.m. March 19. Free.
Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital, this group meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month at the hospital (3). Call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline, 410-414-4783.
"FRIENDS WHO CARE" BREAST CANCER
Meets 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month, Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Call Joyce Gradle, 410-326-4262.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
For families of persons who have Parkinson's disease, this group meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (7) cafeteria. Registration not required.
-- Molli Yood
Programs and activities have been confirmed at the time of publication. However, changes or cancellations can occur, and anyone interested in a particular program can call the listed telephone numbers to check schedule changes.
Items are accepted on a space-available basis, from public and nonprofit organizations only, and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Submit information to: Health Watch, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646. Information also can be faxed to 301-934-1088.
Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.