Francis Joseph Berry

Navy Captain and CPA

Francis Joseph Berry, 82, a retired Navy captain who also was a certified public accountant, died of congestive heart failure March 5 at his Arlington home, where he had lived for 40 years.

Dr. Berry had a 24-year career in the Navy, beginning in World War II, when he served on a battleship during the Allied invasion of North Africa.

From 1949 to 1961, he served either as commanding officer or executive officer of a destroyer-minelayer, anti-submarine destroyer and guided missile cruiser. His final assignment, from which he retired from active military duty in 1965, was as head of research and development in the ships and weapons integration office of the Naval Weapons Command in Washington.

He then started a second career as an accountant, establishing his own business in 1970 and retiring two years ago.

Dr. Berry was a native of Ansonia, Conn., and a 1941 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. He received an associate's degree in accounting from Northern Virginia Community College and a master's degree in electrical engineering and a doctorate in engineering and applied sciences from George Washington University.

He attended the Naval Academy Post Graduate School in Monterey, Calif., and the Naval War College.

He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, June Berry of Arlington; five children, Matthew Berry of Fort Walton Beach, Fla., Nathan Berry of Fayetteville, N.C., Kathleen Brownell of Thornton, Colo., Christopher Berry of Virginia Beach and Rebecca Kalibat of Princeton, N.J., a sister; and nine grandchildren.

A son Patrick Berry died in 2001.

Samuella M. 'Sammie' Curtland


Samuella M. "Sammie" Curtland, 69, a secretary for nearly 30 years at George D. Weitzel Plumbing & Heating in Washington, died of a lung ailment March 18 at Washington Adventist Hospital. She lived in Oxon Hill.

Mrs. Curtland was born in Idamay, W.Va. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1970s.

Her marriages to Joseph Cook and Ray Curtland Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children from her second marriage, Ray Curtland Jr. of Angola, Ind., and Cindy M. Mooney of Oxon Hill; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Cordelia Forrest Doucet

Magazine Editor

Cordelia Forrest Doucet, 83, former editor and owner of Horse Play magazine in Gaithersburg, died of cardiopulmonary arrest March 16 at her home in Great Falls. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Doucet, a Great Falls resident since 1951, was a freelance writer before she joined the magazine's editorial staff in 1976. She worked as its managing editor, then editor-in-chief before becoming its majority owner in 1980.

She was born in Kokomo, Ind., and raised in Warrenton. She attended the University of Kentucky and graduated from Radcliffe College in 1941.

She wrote advertising copy in New York for nine years before moving to Washington in 1950.

Her husband, John Lyell Bruyeres Doucet, died in 1991

Survivors include two children, Rene Doucet of Great Falls and Theo Doucet of Great Falls; and a sister.

Raymond E. Deely

World Bank Official

Raymond E. Deely, 89, an accountant who worked 31 years for the World Bank before retiring in 1978 as chief of the securities division in the treasurer's department, died of cancer March 19 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Deely, a Chevy Chase resident, was a native of Tarrytown, N.Y., and 1936 graduate of the University of Notre Dame.

He began his career in Washington as an auditor with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. in 1937.

He was a stamp collector and member of the Notre Dame Alumni Association of Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Rita E. Deely of Chevy Chase; three sons, Peter Deely of Glendale, Ariz., Patrick Deely of Washington Grove and Matthew Deely of Chevy Chase; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A son, James T. Deely, died in 2001.

Mary Purinton Lightfoot

Registered Nurse and Real Estate Broker

Mary Purinton Lightfoot, 63, a registered nurse turned real estate agent who ran her own brokerage firm from 1983 until her retirement in 1992, died of lung cancer March 18 at her home in Vienna.

Before starting her business, she worked about 10 years for Myers and Hill Real Estate in Vienna.

Mrs. Lightfoot, a native of Rutland, Vt., received a nursing degree from a hospital in Pittsfield, Mass. As a surgical nurse at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, she took part in some of the nation's earliest kidney transplant operations and complex open-heart surgeries.

After she managed a convalescent hospital in Brentwood, Calif., she spent about two years in Arlington before moving to Europe in 1968. She returned to the Washington area in 1972, settling in Fairfax County.

Survivors include her husband of 40 years, William I. Lightfoot of Vienna; two sons, Mark R. Lightfoot of Richmond and William S. Lightfoot of Annandale; a sister; and four grandchildren.

William James Morgan

Navy Department Historian

William James Morgan, 86, an authority on early Navy history who retired in 1982 as head of the research branch of the Navy Department's historical center, died March 19 at Holy Cross Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Burtonsville. He had dementia.

Dr. Morgan was a Navy historian for more than 30 years. He edited books and series that included "Naval Documents of the American Revolution" and "The Autobiography of Rear Admiral Charles Wilkes." Among his other publications were naval chronologies of the Civil War and World War II and "Captains to the Northward: The New England Captains in the Continental Navy," "American Privateering in America's War for Independence" and "John Barry: A Most Fervent Patriot."

He also wrote for professional journals, magazines and encyclopedias and lectured on behalf of the Navy in the United States and abroad.

Dr. Morgan was a native of the Bronx, N.Y., who had lived in Silver Spring since the early 1950s. He was a graduate of Fordham University, received a master's degree in history from Columbia University and a doctorate in that subject from the University of Southern California.

He served in the Navy in intelligence assignments in the Pacific and Atlantic during World War II and was recalled to active duty during the Korean War. He retired in the 1970s as a commander in the naval reserve.

Dr. Morgan was a member of the Naval Historical Foundation, American Revolution Round Table and the North American Society for Oceanic History, which honored him in 1996.

His honors included the Navy's Distinguished Civilian Service Medal.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Arline M. Morgan of Silver Spring; three sons, William James Morgan Jr. of Palm Coast, Fla., Robert Charles Morgan of Laytonsville and Peter Denis Morgan of Columbia; a brother; five grandchildren; and four great grandchildren.

Jack Milton James

Navy Admiral

Jack Milton James, 82, a Navy rear admiral who retired from the office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1972 as deputy director of operations and was later senior vice president of the Dean Witter Reynolds brokerage firm, died of cardiovascular disease March 19 at Northern Virginia Community Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Adm. James served in the Navy for more than three decades and was in the securities business for 27 years.

During World War II, he served on a destroyer in the North Atlantic and Mediterranean and served with fighter squadrons in the Pacific. Before being assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he commanded the carrier Saratoga and a carrier division.

Adm. James was a native of Wildwood, N.J., who attended Drexel University. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in December 1941 and received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.

He went to work for Reynolds Securities after he retired from military service.

His honors included the Distinguished Service Medal and Legion of Merit.

He was a member of Army Navy Country Club.

Adm. James was predeceased by his first three wives, Paula Holmes James in 1942, Louise Snyder James in 1966 and Agnes Pakosta James in 1988. A son from his second marriage, Jonathan Synder James, died in 1949.

Survivors include his wife, Cynthia Lankford James of Arlington; four children from his second marriage, Mark Snyder James of Vienna, Brent Snyder James of Virginia Beach, Sharon James Foley of Frederick and Scott Snyder James of Falls Church; two children from his third marriage, Jacqueline James Sweetak of Millington, Md., and Luke Pakosta James of Pensacola, Fla.; a brother; two sisters; 12 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Robert Taylor III

Air Force General

Robert Taylor III, 89, an Air Force major general who retired as assistant director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 1967 and then worked for the Central Intelligence Agency until 1973, died March 16 at a care center in Carbondale, Colo. He had dementia.

Gen. Taylor, a former resident of Washington and Centreville, Md., moved to Aspen, Colo., in the mid-1980s.

He was a native of Catonsville, Md., and a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He flew bombing missions over Europe for the Army Air Forces during World War II and rose to deputy commander of the 95th Bomb Wing. He became chief of the collection division of the directorate of air intelligence in Washington after the war.

He was named special assistant to the Air Force intelligence director in 1950 and had intelligence coordinating assignments in Europe, the United States and Canada before being becoming commandant of the Air War College in Alabama. He was an assistant director at DIA for three years.

His honors included the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medal.

He was a member of the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs.

His marriages to Nancy Hamon, Frances Case Taylor and Elizabeth Drayton Taylor ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Merrill Ford of Aspen; a son from his second marriage, Robert Foerster of Niceville, Fla.; and a stepson, Frederick C. Ford III of Boston and Aspen.

A son from his second marriage, Forbes Taylor, died in 1991.

James Hamlin Schofield

Army Colonel

James Hamlin Schofield, 85, a retired Army colonel who also was an executive with Magnavox Government and Industrial Electronics Co., died of pneumonia March 12 at his home in Hagerstown.

Col. Schofield, a former McLean resident, was born in Jersey City. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1943 and served in Europe with the 14th Armored Division during World War II.

He later received a master's degree in foreign affairs from George Washington University and became an adviser to the secretary of Defense on European and Soviet Union political-military affairs. Among his responsibilities was participation in NATO ministerial level conferences.

His final assignment was with the Army Materiel Command as special assistant for project management.

He joined Magnavox upon his military retirement in 1967 and rose to director of its Washington office in 1970. He retired again in 1988 as corporate vice president of government relations.

His wife, Molly Dowse Schofield, died in 1974.

Survivors include a son, James Schofield of Hagerstown, and three grandchildren.

Harry Gardner


Harry Gardner, 68, a photographer who retired in the late 1980s after 22 years at the David Taylor Model Basin, died March 16 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Gardner, a Hyattsville resident since the 1950s, was a native of McAndrews, Ky., He served in the Navy from 1952 to 1956 and in the Air Force from 1956 to 1960.

His first wife, Grace Sparrow, died in 1962. His marriage to Patsy Louise Gardner ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children from his first marriage, Kathleen Flint of Ellicott City and Brenda Whitehead of Sterling; a stepdaughter, Angela Brvenikof Round Hill; two brothers; two sisters; and six grandchildren.

Ronald W. French

Air Force Major

Ronald Wilson French, 70, a retired Air Force major who worked as a civilian logistics management specialist at Fort Meade from 1987 to 2001, died of cancer March 15 at Crofton Convalescent Center. He lived in Bowie.

Maj. French was an aviator, Vietnam War veteran and Bronze Star recipient who served 20 years in the Air Force, from 1952 to 1972.

After his military career, he worked three years as a circulation manager for the Bowie Blade newspaper. He then worked for the Bowie city government as director of the culture and recreation department from 1975 to 1987.

Maj. French was born in Lansing, Mich.

He was a charter member and former commander of a Bowie post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Marion French of Bowie; three children, Valerie Kakuk, Matthew W. French and William R. French, all of Odenton; a stepsister; and a granddaughter.