Looking for volunteer opportunities? The following groups need help for a day, a week or on a regular basis. Nonprofit groups in need of volunteers should send notices to Volunteers, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030. Notices may also be faxed to 703-273-2836 or e-mailed to fxextra@ washpost.com. The list will be published weekly on a space available basis.
* The Washington Area Parrot Head Club needs volunteers to help the National Park Service with a Potomac Watershed cleanup project 8:30 a.m.-noon April 5, Dangerfield Island, off the George Washington Parkway. Wear work clothes. For more information, call 703-550-8013 or visit www.waphc.com.
* The Mount Vernon Hospital auxiliary needs men and women to volunteer in various areas of the hospital. To find out about available positions or for other information, call the office of volunteer services at 703-664-7260.
* The Greater Reston Arts Center needs volunteers for the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival on May 17 and 18. Volunteers are needed to help artists move in and out, for artist relations, beverage sales, chalking, children's play area, festival hospitality, logistics, merchandise, publicity, signs, survey, ticket sales and volunteer coordination. For more information, call 703-471-9242 or visit www.restonarts.org.
* Volunteers for Change, a program of Volunteer Fairfax, features a flexible calendar of weekend and weekday evening projects to fit your busy schedule. After orientation, volunteers may participate in any of the more than 30 monthly community service projects throughout Northern Virginia. The next orientations will be 2-3 p.m. Sunday or 6:30-7:30 p.m. next Thursday. To register or for more information, contact Emily Swenson at 703-246-3460 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Web site at www.volunteerfairfax.org.
* Volunteers are needed for the McLean Day 2003 festival May 17 at Lewinsville Park on Chain Bridge Road. Orientation sessions for teenagers interested in volunteering will be held at the Old Firehouse Teen Center 3:30-5 p.m. next Thursday or 3:30-5 p.m. April 7. Community service hours will be awarded for the orientation session and for work performed at the festival. For more information, call 703-790-0123 or visit www.mcleancenter.org.
-- Jean Mack