John Arthur 'Art' Brooks III

Computer Systems Analyst

John Arthur Ellsworth "Art" Brooks III, 65, a computer systems analyst who retired from the Department of Veterans Affairs in January, died of lung cancer March 6 at home in Washington.

Mr. Brooks was born in New York and came to Washington in the early 1960s when he was drafted into the Army. He served in the Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery and at the White House following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

He had worked at the Department of Veterans Affairs for 30 years when he retired because of his illness.

He was an amateur musician and played piano and drums.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Ruth Evadne Greaves Brooks, and their son, John Arthur Ellsworth Brooks IV, both of Washington; a brother; two sisters; and three granddaughters.

Frank Thomas Dugan

Construction Chief

Frank Thomas Dugan, 79, who retired in January as security and construction director for Amvet Thrift Stores in the Washington-Baltimore area, died March 30 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had lung and kidney ailments.

Mr. Dugan, who lived in Damascus, was born in Newport, R.I. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and in the D.C. National Guard after the war. He began his career as a construction coordinator with McCrory's stores in Washington. He later worked for the mid-Atlantic region of McDonald's restaurants, Arthur Treacher restaurants in Columbus, Ohio, the Jiffy Lube company in Maryland and Pappan's restaurants in Pittsburgh.

During two decades with Amvet, he also was in charge of trucking units and training programs.

His marriage to Kathryn Mullinix ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, Stephanie Dugan and Erin Willis, both of Germantown, and Michael Dugan and Gregory Dugan, both of Damascus; a sister, Alice Kennedy of Olney; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Marjorie Kincaide Hoath

Museum Docent

Marjorie Kincaide Hoath, 79, a docent at the National Museum of Natural History in the 1970s who also did outreach work for the museum at area schools, died March 29 at her home in Alexandria. She had had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mrs. Hoath was a native of Pueblo, Colo., and a 1945 graduate of the University of Colorado. She then accompanied her husband on his Foreign Service assignments.

She had had a home in the Washington area since 1971 and settled in the area in 1985.

Survivors include her husband, Jim Hoath, whom she married in 1947, of Alexandria; three sons, James I. Hoath of Seattle, Gregory L. Hoath of Boulder, Colo., and Bryan D. Hoath of Alexandria; a brother; and five grandchildren.

Anastasia Nary Ford


Anastasia Nary Ford, 102, a former bookkeeper with the Federal Housing Administration, died of pneumonia March 30 at the Kensington Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Mrs. Ford, a longtime resident of Washington, was born in Greenbriar County, W.Va.

Her husband, William D. Ford Sr., died in 1936, and two sons, William and John, were killed in action in 1943 while serving in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

Mrs. Ford moved to Washington in 1952. Until retiring in 1965, she was an FHA bookkeeper. She was a member of the Gold Star Mothers and did volunteer work at St. Thomas Catholic Church in Washington and with the Cancer Society.

Survivors include a daughter, Margaret Eilerson, of Clearwater, Fla.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.

Stanley J. Wall

Transportation Specialist

Stanley J. Wall, 86, who purchased motorized vehicles for naval facilities before retiring in 1979 as director of the transportation division of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command in Alexandria, died of sepsis March 28 at the National Lutheran Home in Rockville. He had lived in Bethesda since 1948.

Mr. Wall, who worked 31 years for the Navy Department, was born in Omaha and raised in Dawson County, Mont., where his parents were homesteaders.

He served in the Army with a construction battalion building airstrips in the Pacific and Asian theaters during World War II.

He attended George Washington University after the war and worked for the Social Security Administration in Baltimore and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Mr. Wall, a Bethesda resident since 1948, was a member there of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. He also belonged to the Society of Automotive Engineers and did volunteer work at the National Lutheran Home such as putting on slide shows for residents and helping to organize fundraising bazaars.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Doris M. Wall of Bethesda; two children, Edward J. Wall of Darnestown and Susan Wall Wilson of Atlanta; a brother; a sister; and a grandson.

John Aloysius Farrell

Corporate Representative

John Aloysius Farrell, 88, a retired Washington area corporate representative of National Distillers Co., a New York-based liquor and chemical company, died of congestive heart failure March 27 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Farrell represented the company in its dealings with state and local liquor control agencies and commercial customers in Virginia, West Virginia and Montgomery County for about 20 years until the late 1980s.

Mr. Farrell, a D.C. area resident since 1968, lived first in Rockville and then in Kensington for the past 20 years.

He was a native of New York who played semi-professional baseball before entering the Army during the Depression. He was attending a Catholic Mass in Hawaii when the first explosions of the attack on Pearl Harbor rocked the church. He rushed from the church with other officers and enlisted personnel to try to organize a defense.

Later in the war, he served in New Guinea and the Philippines.

He returned to New York after the war, worked briefly as a city firefighter, then joined National Distillers, where he rose to national sales promotion manager.

His first wife, Marjorie Farrell, died in 1964 after 20 years of marriage. His marriage to Marie Baker ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion, Betsy Forte of Kensington and Ocean City; two children from his first marriage, John Farrell of Kensington and Marjorie Farrell of Milton, Mass.; three grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

David L. Chambliss Sr.

Master Auto Mechanic

David L. Chambliss Sr., 76, a master auto mechanic who operated a service garage in Washington for more than 30 years until he retired for health reasons in 1985, died of renal failure March 17 at Howard University Hospital.

Mr. Chambliss, a Washington resident, was a native of Imperial, Va., and a World War II Army veteran.

He was a member of Disabled Veterans of America.

His wife, Delores Marie Chambliss, died in 1959.

Survivors include three children, Dorothy M. Brooks of Temple Hills, David L. "Butch" Chambliss Bay of Capitol Heights and Diane M. Williams of San Antonio; two sisters, Mildred Russell and Audrey Johnson, both of Temple Hills; a brother, Charles Chambliss of Springfield, Mass.; nine grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.