Looking for volunteer opportunities? The following groups need help for a day, a week or on a regular basis. Nonprofit groups in need of volunteers should send notices to Volunteers, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030. Notices may also be faxed to 703-273-2836 or e-mailed to fxextra@ washpost.com. The list will be published weekly on a space available basis.
* The Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute, a state facility at 3302 Gallows Rd., Falls Church, needs volunteers to work in administration or do clerical jobs and to work with patients. Orientation and training will begin 6-8:30 p.m. April 23. For more information, call Sandra Smith at 703-645-4001.
* Volunteers are needed to help with the 20th annual Sallie Mae 10K race and fun walk that will be held May 11 in the District. Volunteers are needed for packet stuffing and pickup, early registration, cheering, clothing storage, water stations, course marshals, finish line and cleanup. For more information, call Vicky Pettinaro at 202-269-2700.
* The SPCA of Northern Virginia needs foster homes for dogs and cats. The SPCA does not have a shelter and depends on foster homes for animals that have been rescued from abuse, neglect and abandonment. For more information, call 703-799-9390 or visit www.spcanova.org.
* World Heritage is seeking families, couples or single parents (with or without children at home) to host high school age foreign exchange students. Host families provide room, board and guidance for a foreign student. For more information, call 800-888-9040 or visit www.world-heritage.org.
* Inova Fairfax Hospital Auxiliary needs high-energy volunteers for a new consignment and thrift store opening April 25 in the Springfield Plaza. Volunteer opportunities include a variety of retail-related duties with flexible hours. For more information or an application, call 703-698-3447.
-- Compiled by Jean Mack